Announcement

Collapse

Expat Forum Moving Hosting

We have moved the Expat Forum to a new server in late March. You'll notice some changes due to upgrades we've made in the vBulletin software.

If you have questions, please email me at [email protected].

wm
See more
See less

Visas - one way flights

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visas - one way flights

Has anyone travelled on a one way flight? do you need a return ticket for a visa? other options?

Can you recommend a cheap destination for a forward ticket, I would rather not pay the expense of a return ticket to Mexico.

Officially you need a return ticket, date does not matter.
    ferry ticket is sufficient and cheapest option
    [FONT=Verdana]As a stranger give it welcome.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy
    [/FONT]

Comment

When required , any ticket for going out of Indonesia is enough . It is not required to be a ticket to return to your country .

Comment

Only one time I've been asked by imigrasi for the return/onward destination ticket. The airline at the departure airport does it routinely as part of the check in process, though. In one instance my onward destination ticket had a departure date beyond the 30 days allowed by the VOA; I had to sign a form releasing the airline of any responsibility in case I had any trouble with imigrasi and was not allowed in.
        "Science is the philosophy of discovery. Intelligent design is a philosophy of ignorance"

Comment

Perfect thanks I'll look around for ferry tickets.

Comment

Every time I've entered on a tourist visa, I've been asked for proof of departure. KITAS holders (and other long-term visa holders) aren't subject to this. You don't need a ticket to your home country, though-- it just has to show that you're leaving Indonesia. While a ferry ticket might suffice for Indonesian immigration officials, that might not cut it for the agents checking your documents in Mexico (or where ever you're departing from). The airlines are obligated to confirm that all passengers being transported meet all entry requirements for the destination country. The safest option is to buy a one-way cheap-o ticket on Air Asia to Singapore or somewhere like that. Date doesn't matter, as long as it shows that the departure is BEFORE your visa will expire. (So, if you have a 30 day VOA, don't book a ticket for three months out.)

Comment

Thank you Samantha thats a great option, I checked flights to Kuala Lumpur and wow thay are super cheap. I don't think there will be a problem here in Mexico, but most of the low cost flights go through US and China before arriving in Indo.

Comment

In the 16 yrs I have been coming into and out of Indo, never been asked for proof of an out bound ticket and 1/2 the time never had one. This time (30th Dec 2010) was asked about it by check in crew of Malaysian airlines and told them we did not have one and had never had problems in the past with not having one and they let us board. Arrived in Jakarta and had no questions asked. So surpose it is the luck of the draw.

Comment

I have never been asked for a return ticket . Even when immigration pulled me on the office for an overstay . However photoshop can fix any of those problems . A cheap ticket to KL or Sing can be bought cheap . I always kept my flight back to canada . I just kept photoshopping the date and I was never even asked to even show it . It just seems once in awhile someone will run into one of "those" agents that has an attitude . I can say in any country i have ever been too the immigration are rarely nice people and smile or really give a damn .

Comment

I have never been asked too , except once and coincidently , by Malaysian Airlines when I was to get a connecting flight in Argentina . Also , I just explained and had no problem . These in about 14 times coming in Indonesia and about 12 Indonesian sosbud visas (in only 2 of the visas requesting process , I presented the return ticket , but just because I had it ) .
                    Last edited by marcus; 06-08-11, 10:51.

Comment

When coming in on a VOA, they will ask you about your return ticket, but if you come in on a business visa, sosbud, or on a kitas, they rarely if ever ask, and if they do, explaining that you haven't booked yet because you aren't quite sure where you want to go next also works. In extreme cases they'll try to extort some uang rokok, but you can usually solve that nicely enough (although it will cost you some money).

Legally, you must have a return ticket, practically, as said, only for a VOA.
                      sigpic
                      bassist, perl ninja, random stranger

Comment

Madcat: but not always.

I have been in on a Kitas, Sosbud, VOA and never been asked at the Indonesian immigration. I come in July 2010 VOA no questions asked, December 2010 VOA asked in Auckland but not Jakarta. So just depends on the Immigration officer. The law only seemed to interest the Auckland check in crew.

i know some who came in on a VOA recently (4 days ago) who when questioned about not having an outbound ticket she told them she did not have it because she was going to work here and they still let her in. How is that for lucky

Comment

if u have visa on arrival...then for sure u must have return ticket.... and the date must be before the expired of ur visa ...otherwise u will be hunted by corrupted immigration officers ... don't ever try it ! is better even u have fake ticket cuz they r so stupid n willn't notice it.

for 60 days visa... i don't think they will care about the date of return but may ask for the return ticket .
                          Bandung ( aku selalu merindukanMu )

Kumaha Damang ?

Comment

Hubby entered Indonesia with me this past November without a return ticket. No problem, no questions asked. He had a Multiple Entry Sos Bud visa. When we applied for a Visa prior to coming, we didn't provide a return ticket either.

I also taked to the Embassy in Singapore (Indonesian) just yesterday and she said that usually you are required to have a return ticket to apply for a visa, unless you have a sponsor letter from someone in Indonesia and a copy of his/her KTP.
                            Last edited by n4t4c4; 18-01-11, 21:32.

Comment

Ya, it's fairly clear-- VOA requires a round trip ticket/proof of departure. Other visas (KITAS, SOSBUD, etc...) may require proof of departure for the visa application process, but do NOT require proof of departure at the airport/immigration checkpoint. So, whether you need a departure ticket or not depends on what kind of visa you're entering the country on.

Comment

Working...
                              X