Banks of Indonesia

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cup1981 View Post
    I have really enjoyed my time--so far--using BCA. Their people are always kind and helpful, they do not charge ATM fees and I can use my US Visa Debit Card with minimal conversion fee...
    By the way , the conversion fee for your US Visa card is not dependent on the Indonesian bank's ATM you use . I already checked by withdrawing the same amount of money in BCA's ATM , and Standard Chartered's ATM in the same hour and the 2 debits in my country were exactly the same . Visa seems to be the one that defines the exchange rate/other banks fees and your card's bank defines its fee ( http://usa.visa.com/personal/using_v...x_rates_us.jsp )
    From what I saw in some banks websites , Visa charge about 1% for each country's operation , banks involved normally charge about 1.5% each , and sometimes there is a fixed fee of about USD3 for each withdraw operation .
    Last edited by marcus; 26-11-10, 20:28.

Comment

Originally posted by davobali View Post
      a mandiri bank account can be opened without a kitas , you just need a referal from another mandiri account holder.
      I also opened accounts in other banks without KITAS .

Comment

Heii canard,

I work in a bank in Balikpapan, Kalimantan. Just in case that you need something about bank in Kalimantan.

Comment

Originally posted by marcus View Post
          I also opened accounts in other banks without KITAS .
          I wonder what the law is on that.
          I have accounts with two banks and both insisted on seeing a KITAS and said they couldn't open using a foreign passport.
          I suppose its like many things Indo, the rule is right if a person in the right place says it is.

Comment

Just jumping in a bit late.
            HSBC service locally SUCK. Outside of Indonesia never had anything but good service, but their fees are too high
            I only maintain here as main savings is with tokyo branch of teh same
            BCA, nothing but good service, make sure you ask for an ATM card in English ( will take them 3 days )
            [FONT=Verdana]As a stranger give it welcome.
            There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
            Than are dreamt of in your philosophy
            [/FONT]

Comment

Fred , business people tend to be flexible about rules which are not relevant . In US , in 1979 I was told I could not open a bank account without a social security number . But I did open anyway , without it .
              Here , some banks accepted a residency proof from Pak RT , others from Kantor Kelurahan , a bank only required a recommendation letter from my country's bank . When I opened in US , they didn't ask for residency/address proof , and in my country they just ask for an envelope delivered by post with your name and address .
              Last edited by marcus; 25-12-10, 10:12.

Comment

Originally posted by kim& mika View Post
                ..HSBC service locally SUCK.
                BCA,.. make sure you ask for an ATM card in English
                I already opened accounts in more than 10 banks during the last 30 years and my conclusion is that service is very dependent on who you deal with . Probably there are good and bad workers in any bank.
                By the way , I just opened an account at HSBC/Bandung , and up to now the service has been good .
                About the ATM card in English , could you explain us what is the advantage ?
                Last edited by marcus; 01-02-11, 10:30.

Comment

I think at one stage or another I have dealt with most of teh staff in teh main branch, and their service mindset and competence is pitiful. Maybe better outside the main branch, as said elsewhere in the world, nothing but good service.

As to English ATM if you have been here a while, and have already some bhasa knowledge, none, but if you are fresh here without and language skill, it makes using the facilities a whole lot easier. Sure it might help learn, but there are lots of services on offer which are good to use ( at least with BCA and I assume other banks )
                  [/FONT]

Comment

Fred , business people tend to be flexible about rules which are not relevant . In US , in in 1979 I was told I could not open a bank account without a social security number . But I did open anyway , without it ...
                    Side-bar issue, but pre-9-11 rules are ancient history. The flexibility is mostly gone due to a plethora of anti-terrorism/anti-money laundering Federal laws with criminal penalties.

Comment

About the ATM card in English , could you explain us what is the advantage ?
                      With my Citi ATM card I get a language choice when I insert the card. I didn't ask for a card in English. I assumed all cards are the same?
                      "[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica Neue]I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.[/FONT][/COLOR]"
                      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by waarmstrong View Post
                        Side-bar issue, but pre-9-11 rules are ancient history. The flexibility is mostly gone due to a plethora of anti-terrorism/anti-money laundering Federal laws with criminal penalties.
                        I opened an account in the US post 9-11 without a social security number. I also got a drivers license without one. However I did have a 5 year visa.
                        The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everyone else.

Comment

The possession of a social security number is not the issue so much as presenting yourself in person with adequate identification to confirm that you are who you say your are. That would include producing at least one ID with your picture and usually a permanent Stateside address.

Comment

Originally posted by kim& mika View Post
                            ...As to English ATM if you have been here a while, and have already some bhasa knowledge, none, but if you are fresh here without and language skill, it makes using the facilities a whole lot easier. Sure it might help learn, but there are lots of services on offer which are good to use ( at least with BCA and I assume other banks )
                            So you meant ATM's instructions/options in English , not "ATM card in English" as you wrote before , correct ? As Lantern also wrote above , many Indonesian banks have ATMs in which you can select Indonesian or English , or the screen pages appear in Indonesian and English side by side (I just checked this with my card from Bank Nusantara Parahyangan in 5 other different Indonesian banks' ATMs) . I believe this happens because the ATM is programed to do so independently of the ATM card you use . But , anyway , just check this when you open an account .
                            Last edited by marcus; 29-11-10, 16:21.

Comment

BCA needs an English defined ATM card, default ones are in Bhasa.
                              Seems like other banks are more progressive
                              [/FONT]

Comment

I Use CIMB Niaga and HSBC IDR ,US Dollar, 0z Dollar accounts and never have problem either here or abroad. so far so gud....

Comment

Working...
                                X