Would like to meet new friends for drink after work

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would like to meet new friends for drink after work

Hi, I'm not sure of the culture here but I would like to meet new friends for drinks and some insight/tips to be based in JKT. I am recently posted to JKT, female, 33yo from Malaysia. Would appreciate if there's any regular group that can welcome me. Thanks!

Hey Charmaine, which jkt u live?

Comment

The one on Java?
      [FONT=arial black]
      [/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by victoria joanna View Post
        Hey Charmaine, which jkt u live?
        Still hunting for an apartment but office is at WTC. Is there like a regular outing group to get the know and catch up?

Comment

Ah, so it is south east CBD. That's what we needed to know (cf. other thread):

http://www.sewa-apartemen.net/catego...sari-sudirman/
          [FONT=arial black]
          [/FONT]

Comment

i'd love to do that, but i live in south jakarta
            [FONT=Tahoma]for my part i know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream...[/FONT]

Comment

Charmaine Tan[COLOR=#3E3E3E] There is quite a big group of Malaysian that gather around kemang area playing pool every Wed.

[/COLOR]

Comment

...and the gamelan shark cruises in ...

Charmaine, I don't know if this would interest you at all, but if you are looking to meet people there is a beginners' gamelan group that meets at my house. Recently, we had an influx of young Indonesians (male and female, ages around 25-35) who all play together in a group in Bintaro on Sundays, and are looking for more opportunities to practice. They seem like really cool people!

The bad news is that we will not meet again until after Idul Fitri, and when we do, I don't know if the newcomers will keep attending or not. The usual group is fine too, of course, but over the past few months has skewed toward older married ladies, so from the standpoint of making friends you can do other things with it might not be as productive. But who knows? We usually get a few new members in August as people arrive for the school year, so it is hard to say what the group will look like in the coming months.

Anyway, the music is fun too! We meet on Wednesday nights in Pondok Indah. If you want more info, PM me an email address and I can send you more information.

Comment

jstar, thanks for the link. This is very helpful. Just near to where I wanted. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Puspawarna View Post
                    ...and the gamelan shark cruises in ...

Charmaine, I don't know if this would interest you at all, but if you are looking to meet people there is a beginners' gamelan group that meets at my house. Recently, we had an influx of young Indonesians (male and female, ages around 25-35) who all play together in a group in Bintaro on Sundays, and are looking for more opportunities to practice. They seem like really cool people!

The bad news is that we will not meet again until after Idul Fitri, and when we do, I don't know if the newcomers will keep attending or not. The usual group is fine too, of course, but over the past few months has skewed toward older married ladies, so from the standpoint of making friends you can do other things with it might not be as productive. But who knows? We usually get a few new members in August as people arrive for the school year, so it is hard to say what the group will look like in the coming months.

Anyway, the music is fun too! We meet on Wednesday nights in Pondok Indah. If you want more info, PM me an email address and I can send you more information.
                    Seems like an interesting group! However, I need to understand the geography better on where Pondok Indah is located. I will make a note to myself to contact you again soon or after Idul Fitri. Now that the fasting month is drawing nearer, I presume the week before Idul Fitri is where Jakarta city will be pretty quiet?

Comment

Originally posted by Charmaine Tan View Post
                      Now that the fasting month is drawing nearer, I presume the week before Idul Fitri is where Jakarta city will be pretty quiet?
                      Yup - Jakarta is amazingly quiet right around Idul Fitri. You can get anywhere quickly as there is no traffic at all.

Comment

Yup - Jakarta is amazingly quiet right around Idul Fitri. You can get anywhere quickly as there is no traffic at all.
                        In this case - may not be a good idea to propose to my clients to run roadshows in shopping malls. Oh.. I'm getting to know the new city!

Comment

In this case - may not be a good idea to propose to my clients to run roadshows in shopping malls. Oh.. I'm getting to know the new city!
                          Depends a little on your target market. Jakarta empties out - everyone will "pulang kampung" if they can. However, that means a lot of upper class Indonesians are suddenly facing the paralyzing situation of life without household staff. Every year, the Jakarta Post dutifully runs a "managing without staff" article about how terrified families reluctantly divide up chores - or, in many cases, book stays at swank hotels so they can make it through.

If your market is wealthy Indonesians and your roadshows are based in areas with five-star hotels, you might generate a little interest during the Idul Fitri period, as shell-shocked nyonyas and tuans wander bleakly through the mall, wondering when they'll have someone on hand to cook and iron for them again.

Or so it seems to me - but don't take me too seriously.
                          Last edited by Puspawarna; 02-06-15, 15:36.

Comment

Depends a little on your target market. Jakarta empties out - everyone will "pulang kampung" if they can. However, that means a lot of upper class Indonesians are suddenly facing the paralyzing situation of life without household staff. Every year, the Jakarta Post dutifully runs a "managing without staff" article about how terrified families reluctantly divide up chores - or, in many cases, book stays at swank hotels so they can make it through.

If your market is wealthy Indonesians and your roadshows are based in areas with five-star hotels, you might generate a little interest during the Idul Fitri period, as shell-shocked nyonyas and tuans wander bleakly through the mall, wondering when they'll have someone on hand to cook and iron for them again.

Or so it seems to me - but don't take me too seriously.
                            Wow, they actually depend entirely on their household staffs. Thanks for the note. I shall just put the "pulang kampung" into my consideration and also main shopping malls when selecting the venue to execute the event. Thanks Puspawarna. You are very helpful

Comment

Hi, I'm not sure of the culture here but I would like to meet new friends for drinks and some insight/tips to be based in JKT. I am recently posted to JKT, female, 33yo from Malaysia. Would appreciate if there's any regular group that can welcome me. Thanks!
                              well, if you would like to find someone to company you with, maybe I can be your accompany.
                              M, good listener also

don't be hesitate to reach me

Comment

Working...
                              X