rice,rice...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rice,rice...

My kids always complain the local rice not taste good.what rice do u eat mums?not to expensive,let's discuss about this

We use "Putri" brand of rice & it tastes okay to me ..... the good wife says "Cianjur" from West Java is also good...... & "Pandan" is very good but expensive
    Last edited by macvert; 31-07-14, 14:08.
    The answer is 42 .... any questions? .

Comment

See if they like red or black rice ... it's healthier anyway.

These days I usually use 1/2 white rice and 1/2 red rice in the rice cooker. I think you are supposed to soak the red rice in advance, but I don't, and it always comes out fine, at least when mixed with white rice.

Other than that, I second the Cianjur and Pandan recommendations.

BTW, where are you from originally? Different countries have very different preferences for rice, so that might make a difference in the recommendations that will work for your kids. Me, I think a good bowl of Korean rice is the best in the world. The worst is American converted rice. Everything else is somewhere in between. (Rice in Egypt is really good, but that's because they cook it just right with oil and salt, not because of the rice grains themselves.)
      Last edited by Puspawarna; 31-07-14, 14:44.

Comment

Starve them for a bit then see if they are that fussy!

Comment

I always get rocks in mine.
          Sasa Bule is having a bayi!

Comment

Organic (Organic land brand) at 32 000 a kilo has no stones. (many varieties)

I wonder how many people cook it in bottled water, or tap water?

Comment

Thank u,i will try them
              Originally posted by macvert View Post
              We use "Putri" brand of rice & it tastes okay to me ..... the good wife says "Cianjur" from West Java is also good...... & "Pandan" is very good but expensive

Comment

Red rice?it's a good idea,but it is a little bit hard right?i. Will try ur way.
                We usually eat the one Vy soft and long,maybe I can try cianjur and pandan
                Originally posted by Puspawarna View Post
                See if they like red or black rice ... it's healthier anyway.

These days I usually use 1/2 white rice and 1/2 red rice in the rice cooker. I think you are supposed to soak the red rice in advance, but I don't, and it always comes out fine, at least when mixed with white rice.

Other than that, I second the Cianjur and Pandan recommendations.

BTW, where are you from originally? Different countries have very different preferences for rice, so that might make a difference in the recommendations that will work for your kids. Me, I think a good bowl of Korean rice is the best in the world. The worst is American converted rice. Everything else is somewhere in between. (Rice in Egypt is really good, but that's because they cook it just right with oil and salt, not because of the rice grains themselves.)

Comment

Originally posted by okonumiyaki View Post
                  Starve them for a bit then see if they are that fussy!

Comment

Yes,i hate stones,and hate rice with black spots,i'll try organic.
                    Btw,i use bottled. Water,coz I like soft rice
                    Originally posted by johntap View Post
                    Organic (Organic land brand) at 32 000 a kilo has no stones. (many varieties)

I wonder how many people cook it in bottled water, or tap water?

Comment

Originally posted by Faof house View Post
                      Red rice?it's a good idea,but it is a little bit hard right?i. Will try ur way.
                      We usually eat the one Vy soft and long,maybe I can try cianjur and pandan
                      Yes, red rice on its own cooked with a minimum of water is fairly dry. However, I just made a batch that came out quite mushy - here's the proportions I used:

1/2 cup white rice (sorry, I don't remember the brand - I had transferred it to a plain plastic bag)
                      1/2 cup red rice

I rinsed the rice (for that I use tap water) and added 1 and 3/4 cup bottled water, and cooked it in the rice cooker.

Pro tip: for company, a mix of red and white rice is a beautiful dish! But, the rices must be cooked separately and the kernels left a bit more firm. Then when you mix them together, it's really pretty. When I have guests who don't live in Indonesia and aren't familiar with all the cool varieties of rice we have here, I like to do that.

Comment

P

Yes cooking them together is not cool. It all comes out pink, and objectionable to any Indonesian.

Comment

Had organic rice in Bali - tastes shit - only hippies would compromise taste in the name of environmentalism.

Comment

There always are two types;setra Ramos,pandan wangi.May I know what is the difference?

Comment

There always are two types;setra Ramos,pandan wangi.May I know what is the difference?

Comment

Working...
                              X