No announcement yet.

Life for a woman in Indonesia

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jakarta is safe place for foreigner mam.... do wht u like, like what u do...
    wellcome,

Comment

I don't think that you can say ANYWHERE in the world is "SAFE". You are at risk, male or female WHEREVER you are on the planet. There are some occasions where you can just wnd up in the wrong place at the wrong time...

Sure, there are probably safer places than others (Kabul vs Boston...but even that is not a given!), but if you wander downtown at midnight, on your own, scantily dressed (male or female)...then you are asking for trouble (like it or not) whether you are in Jakarta, New York, Sydney, London...anywhere. This is not rocket science.

If you are sensible, maintain an air of vigilance and suspicion/scepticism wherever you go, and listen to your instincts (and the advice of locals - whichever country that may be) then surely your chances of running into issues is reduced. Common sense should prevail... and Jakarta is no different!
      Things happen for a reason...

Comment

Originally posted by indonesian View Post
        jakarta is safe place for foreigner mam.... do wht u like, like what u do...
        wellcome,
        Can only disagree...."do wht u like, like what u do"

Comment

Originally posted by Elina.D View Post
          Hi all,
          I'm going to move to Jakarta in a couple of months and I'm interested to now how life is there for a woman?
          Is it safe to go out by yourself? or maybe take a taxi? Is it some kind of dresscode?
          I've been there twice but never been outside Central Park alone.
          Kind regards
          Elina
          Life in Indonesia for a woman? Hmmmm..that depends on which city you live in. But the important point is wherever you are, try to dress and behave like locals. Doesn't mean you can't be yourself. But as women, we have to protect ourselves well. So my advise is don't wear clothes which are too sexy since it will just attract people's eyes to you. If you wonder why people stare at you while not to others, think that actually many peope still surprised when they see foreigners especially bule/western around. Seems like seeing Hollywood actrees/actor comes out from movie, LOL.

Anyway, I am a woman and I tell you it's safe enough to live in Jakarta as long as you don't attract bad people with wearing jewellries, showing bucks of money, or exposing body.
          It is safe too to get out alone, I always do that even in the night.
          Dresscode? No, just dress appropriately.

And honestly, yes there are men who like to tease women who walk over or around them. Usually on the streets or public areas. I often got teased on the streets even when I worn face mask (to avoid pollution). It feels annoying but don't react. When you react, they will tease you more even. So just ignore and keep walking.

For safety, maybe many criminalities here but that can be the reason you get scared. My own experience, as long as you look confident, no one will mess with you. Set your face with flat expression when you are outside is good one. I set my face into no-expression mode when I am roaming outside.
          Or you can equip yourself with a pepper spray or stun-gun to protect yourself

Comment

Originally posted by Lyubovnitsa View Post
            Life in Indonesia for a woman? Hmmmm..that depends on which city you live in. But the important point is wherever you are, try to dress and behave like locals. Doesn't mean you can't be yourself. But as women, we have to protect ourselves well. So my advise is don't wear clothes which are too sexy since it will just attract people's eyes to you. If you wonder why people stare at you while not to others, think that actually many peope still surprised when they see foreigners especially bule/western around. Seems like seeing Hollywood actrees/actor comes out from movie, LOL.
            You do realise that this will mean wearing (wobbling in) 12 inch platform high heel shoes, skin tight whatever and a skirt that only JUST covers your derrierie with a low cut singlet top!
            Most Westerners that I hang out with dress far more modestly than so many of the "locals" that I get to rub shoulders with!

Just be sensible and cover your shoulders and to knees.
            Things happen for a reason...

Comment

Originally posted by fastpitch17 View Post
              Just remember, Indonesian boys are tough from a very early age that if they see a Female's shoulders or legs they will get sexually excited. It is the Females fault for showing it. Ah, the brainwashing of youth. Just think how different this country would be if they were taught to be accepting of everyone and respect the human body because like it or not, they all have one and depending on the sex, all come with the same parts.
              This is very true for a majority of the population. Look at the comments for The Amazing Psycho Test on youtube. I don't like the video for trivializing rape but that is another topic.

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle O'Brien View Post
                You do realise that this will mean wearing (wobbling in) 12 inch platform high heel shoes, skin tight whatever and a skirt that only JUST covers your derrierie with a low cut singlet top!
                Most Westerners that I hang out with dress far more modestly than so many of the "locals" that I get to rub shoulders with!

Just be sensible and cover your shoulders and to knees.
                On the other side would be to wear a hijab, short shirt, and leggings so tight they show ever crack and crevice.
                [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]Some love to milk Apostate.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Elina.D View Post
                  Hi all,

I'm going to move to Jakarta in a couple of months and I'm interested to now how life is there for a woman?
                  Is it safe to go out by yourself? or maybe take a taxi? Is it some kind of dresscode?

I've been there twice but never been outside Central Park alone.

Kind regards
                  Elina
                  It's completely safe on Jakarta.I give you an answer as a local man
                  If someone bothering you or you need any help, just screamin loud my name ASAP.
                  and people who want to mess with will scatter around and round and round.
                  haha

Comment

Originally posted by Balya Malkan Alkarim View Post
                    It's completely safe on Jakarta.I give you an answer as a local man
                    and people who want to mess with will scatter around and round and round.
                    haha
                    Good advice mate, but seeing how this thread is actually almost 2 years old I am sure she is well versed in living in Jakarta by now. So I doubt she will be calling on your "protection" but a very noble offer anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Balya Malkan Alkarim View Post
                      Dont you think it is a bit old ? Like .., 20 years ago for this ? Come up with something fresh, will ya.
                      Words can inspire, thoughts can provoke, but only action can get you closer to your dreams.

Comment

If you dress right (not revealing) and dont look at random men on their eyes then youll be fine.

If you reveal some butt or breast shape in tempting sort of way, some ojek drivers or angkot most likely will talk dirty and probably do more (like deliberately pull the breaks over and over so your breasts press the ojeg guy's body).

If you use public transport wear loose pants or long skirt, it's safer.

Comment

Originally posted by taksukaikan View Post
                          If you dress right (not revealing) and dont look at random men on their eyes then youll be fine.

If you reveal some butt or breast shape in tempting sort of way, some ojek drivers or angkot most likely will talk dirty and probably do more (like deliberately pull the breaks over and over so your breasts press the ojeg guy's body).

If you use public transport wear loose pants or long skirt, it's safer.
                          You seem to know a lot about the lengths some men will go to for inappropriate contact with women.
                          And the young people ask, what are they marching for? And I ask myself the same question.

Comment

Originally posted by Tudor View Post
                            You seem to know a lot about the lengths some men will go to for inappropriate contact with women.
                            Maybe an ojeg ?
                            Cicak Magnet

Comment

Originally posted by Tudor View Post
                              I just learned by experience and people's conversation. It's true though.

Comment

Working...
                              X