Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving to Sukorejo from Australia with kids

Hi ladies,

I have two boys - 9 and 7. We are looking to move to Sukorejo in January for 2- 3 years. I wondered if you have any advice as to what to bring, what not to bring, any good expat companies to help us move and sort out information etc. The company we will be working for has never had expats in Indonesia before, so we are kinda flying blind,,,,telling them what we need, rather than us being able to tell us what we need to organise.

Most importantly is rental housing costs, employment of staff, expat support over there etc.

Thanks in Advance.

Lee

Which Sukorejo? I believe there is a Sukorejo (a district/kecamatan) in Central Java Province on the northern coast and a Sukorejo (a town) in East Java Province inland but closer to the southern coast. If it's the latter, it will be a very basic town with a strongly Javanese feel and vibe. I stayed one night in nearby Ponorogo once in a very basic hotel which was the best in town. Our visit coincided with the Reog festival (a type of Javanese dance). Holy smokes, I could not have asked for a more National Geographic experience than that. I think you may wish to visit before deciding to mover there.
    Last edited by Hombre de Maiz; 26-09-12, 15:32.

Comment

Originally posted by Hombre de Maiz View Post
      Which Sukorejo? I believe there is a Sukorejo (a district/kecamatan) in Central Java Province on the northern coast and a Sukorejo (a town) in East Java Province inland but closer to the southern coast. If it's the latter, it will be a very basic town with a strongly Javanese feel and vibe. I stayed one night in nearby Ponorogo once in a very basic hotel which was the best in town. Our visit coincided with the Reog festival (a type of Javanese dance). Holy smokes, I could not have asked for a more National Geographic experience than that. I think you may wish to visit before deciding to mover there.
      We have just moved over from Oz but to a larger city Surabaya... I would def think about coming to look and see what you are getting before you decide. We love it here but we have also had some challanges as our company also has never sent anyone here... and it is one problem after another and no one seems to be taking responsibilty... We are lucky in so much as we have only signed an initial contract for 6 months so if things do not get sorted we can go home no problems.

So be careful how long you sign for in case.....
      Sit long, talk much, laugh often.....

Comment

Another thing which I wish we had done... is tell your company how much money you want in the hand...... AFTER TAX.... so any suprises are their problem and they are responsible for all tax
        Sit long, talk much, laugh often.....

Comment

Originally posted by aussieinak907 View Post
          Hi ladies,

I have two boys - 9 and 7. We are looking to move to Sukorejo in January for 2- 3 years. I wondered if you have any advice as to what to bring, what not to bring, any good expat companies to help us move and sort out information etc. The company we will be working for has never had expats in Indonesia before, so we are kinda flying blind,,,,telling them what we need, rather than us being able to tell us what we need to organise.

Most importantly is rental housing costs, employment of staff, expat support over there etc.

Thanks in Advance.

Lee
          Hi Lee, welcome to the forum. Where abouts in Oz are you from?

My husband recently signed a 3 year contract. I went over with my 2 boys (2 and 4 years) for 2 weeks to check it out and be happy with schooling/housing/security etc...

My husband's company provides a monthly wage after tax, house budget of $US12K per year, furnished, electricity, water, gas, telephone, internet, maid, car, driver, petrol, 50% school fees, one return trip home to Melbourne each year for the family. Get it all written in a contract, like Annette says, to cover yourself...

We're buying bikes over there... a Wii over there..... We did a big Ebay sell off to have some spending money on toys....

Sunscreen is expensive, so I'm taking 1 litre over. Tampons are rare (Tampax applicator only) and expensive. If you eat vegemite, bring a big jar...

This forum is amazing.... so many helpful people. The website has heaps of info on finding staff... I have no experience in that area and am yet to find out who our maid will be or whether I can interview women for that job.....

http://www.expat.or.id/

Good luck with your move!!! I am sure you will all love it!!!

[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
          Love.....Courage.....Destiny

Comment

If it's the Sukorejo near Ponorogo, it will be a very far cry from even Surabaya, and will be closer geographically to Malang and Solo.

Comment

Working...
            X