Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bottled water for babies. Which one is the best?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bottled water for babies. Which one is the best?

Hello everyone!
    I have a 6 month old baby and I am really confused about which brand of bottled water to use. I found Evian brand water is supposedly the best for baby use but every time I boil this water, it leaves a white sand/cloudy like apperance in the boiling container. The boiling container is brand new. When I boil Aqua brand water the water stays clear. Anybody here can give me a recommendation/advice about this?
    I ask this because I can't find any information about Aqua mineral composition. I know that too high levels of sodium are bad for babies kidneys. Sodium levels less than 20 mgr/L it's ok, better if it's less than 10mgr/l
    evian is 6.5 mgr/l . But my concern is why it leaves a white sand /cloudy apparence in my boiling container and aqua doesn't.

We used Aqua for drinking purpose and never had problem due to water.

Comment

By reading the articles below , I have a feeling that this fluoride/fluorosis thing is controversial : from Mayo Clinic [...However, if you feed your baby only ready-to-feed formula or concentrated formula mixed with low-fluoride water, your baby's doctor might recommend fluoride supplements beginning at 6 months ...] .

Unfortunately I didn't find the mineral composition in Aqua too , but according to the UK government , up to 200 milligrams (mg) a litre of sodium is ok (see below) .

from https://www.babycenter.com/404_what-...ormula_9139.bc

What kind of water should I use to prepare baby formula?
      Marilyn Swanson , registered dietitian

That depends on ... , especially if your baby has any health concerns.

The American Dental Association recommends not using water that contains high levels of fluoride when mixing powdered or concentrated baby formula. Too much fluoride puts your baby at risk for enamel fluorosis, a condition that develops while the teeth are forming in the gums. It's not a disease, but it can result in faint white lines or white spots or areas on the permanent teeth.
      ... If your tap water is fluoridated or has substantial natural fluoride (0.7 mg/L or higher), consider using a low-fluoride alternative water source.
      Bottled water known to be low in fluoride is labeled as purified, deionized, demineralized, distilled, or prepared by reverse osmosis.
      If your baby's healthcare provider or local health department has advised you to boil the water you use for formula, be sure to bring the water to a rolling boil for about one minute. Don't boil the water more than once or for too long, since that can increase the concentration of impurities.

The Centers for Disease Control recommends using hot water to make formula in order to avoid the risk of infection by rare but deadly bacteria called Cronobacter that has been found in powdered formula. To kill this bacteria (if it's present in the powder) you must mix the formula soon after the water is boiled, before it cools below 158 degrees F.

----------------------------

from http://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/1945.aspx?categoryid=62

Bottled water is not recommended to make up infant formula feeds for your baby. This is because it's not usually sterile (free from bacteria) and may contain too much salt (sodium) or sulphate.
      Check the levels of sodium and sulphate

If you have to use bottled water to make up a feed, check the label to make sure the water contains:

less than 200 milligrams (mg) a litre of sodium (also written as Na)
      no more than 250mg a litre of sulphate (also written as SO4)

Boil water to make up formula feeds

As bottled water is not usually sterile, it will still need to be boiled, like tap water, before you prepare the feed.

Always use boiled water at a temperature of at least 70C to make up a feed. Remember to let it cool before you give it to your baby.

See a step-by-step guide to preparing a formula feed.

from http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-li...-20045791?pg=2

... It's also important to consider the amount of fluoride in the water you use to prepare your baby's liquid-concentrate or powdered formula. Exposure to fluoride during infancy helps prevent tooth decay during infancy. However, regularly mixing powdered or liquid concentrate formula with fluoridated water might increase your child's risk of developing faint white lines or streaks on the teeth (fluorosis) if these kinds of formula are your child's main source of food.

If you're concerned about fluorosis, consider ways to minimize your baby's exposure to fluoride. For example, you might use ready-to-feed formula, which contains little fluoride, or alternate between using fluoridated tap water and low-fluoride bottled water — such as purified, demineralized, deionized or distilled bottled water — to prepare concentrated formula. However, if you feed your baby only ready-to-feed formula or concentrated formula mixed with low-fluoride water, your baby's doctor might recommend fluoride supplements beginning at 6 months ...

from https://www.cdc.gov/fluoridation/saf...nt_formula.htm

Overview: Infant Formula and Fluorosis

The proper amount of fluoride from infancy through old age helps prevent and control tooth decay. Community water fluoridation is a widely accepted practice for preventing and controlling tooth decay by adding fluoride to the public water supply.

Fluoride intake from water and other fluoride sources, such as toothpaste and mouth rinse, during the ages when teeth are forming (from birth through age 8) can lead to changes in the appearance of the tooth's surface called dental fluorosis. In the United States, most dental fluorosis is mild and appears as white spots that are barely noticeable and hard for anyone but a dentist or hygienist to see.

Because most infant formulas contain low levels of fluoride, regularly mixing powdered or liquid infant formula concentrate with fluoridated water may increase the chance of a child developing the faint white markings of mild fluorosis.

You can use fluoridated water to prepare infant formula. However, if your baby is does not eat or drink anything but infant formula that is mixed with fluoridated water, there may be an increased chance for mild dental fluorosis. To lessen this chance, you can use low-fluoride bottled water some of the time to mix with infant formula; these bottled waters are labeled as de-ionized, purified, demineralized, or distilled ...

Comment

Hi Sara,
        Amidis Water Brand dont have any minerals in their water,
        you might want to try that,

Comment

Be aware boiling water does not remove all impurities , Boil Water Response-Information for the Public Health Professional

Comment

Originally posted by tel522 View Post
            Be aware boiling water does not remove all impurities , Boil Water Response-Information for the Public Health Professional
            Is there anyway to purify water without using any chemical? I wish, I'll use fresh and new water bottle and home-purified water for my babies. You know it's sensitive at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosalbane View Post
              Is there anyway to purify water without using any chemical? ...

Yes , I think there are many ways . You can find many being sold in the online shopping (www.shopee.co.id , www.bukalapak.com , www.mataharimall.com , ...)

For example , besides using mineral water (18 liters bottle) I still filter it in an air purifier (specifically I use the one in the links below , price around Rp550'000).

https://shopee.co.id/Pure-it-Classic...3101.565837416

https://shopee.co.id/Unilever-Pure-I...6527.122799140

Note : Better check which store has the cheaper price + delivery fee (not only price) .
              Last edited by marcus; 1 week ago.

Comment

Originally posted by marcus View Post

Yes , I think there are many ways . You can find many being sold in the online shopping (www.shopee.co.id , www.bukalapak.com , www.mataharimall.com , ...)

For example , besides using mineral water (18 liters bottle) I still filter it in an air purifier (specifically I use the one in the links below , price around Rp550'000).

https://shopee.co.id/Pure-it-Classic...3101.565837416

https://shopee.co.id/Unilever-Pure-I...6527.122799140

Note : Better check which store has the cheaper price + delivery fee (not only price) .
                oh, thanks for the help. So glad of you.

Comment

Working...
                X