Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Health insurance for 70+

Hi guys,
    I am casting my nets out on behalf of my parents.
    I know I am looking for the proverbial rocking horse poop.

But my parents are both in their 70s, UK citizens.
    Mother had heart op (stents)
    Father had cancer- long time ago (10+ years in remission).
    They said they might actually visit me here, IF we can sort out some health insurance for the duration of their trip.

So my questions are:
    What are the chances of finding health cover?
    What are the chances of finding affordable health cover?
    Where would I find such health cover?
    Cicak Magnet

Hello,

I'm in Batam, mostly peoples go to Singapore General Hospital or Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia) for heart operations. As for Cancer, I advice you to go Penang or you might contact Pak Chris Teo by e-mail first. https://cacare.org/tag/ca-care-penang/

Comment

Originally posted by Julie_Josey View Post
      Hello,

I'm in Batam, mostly peoples go to Singapore General Hospital or Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia) for heart operations. As for Cancer, I advice you to go Penang or you might contact Pak Chris Teo by e-mail first. https://cacare.org/tag/ca-care-penang/
      You need to read people's posts before you jump in and answer them. I'm sure you meant well, but that is not what bad_azz needs. She is trying to find temporary health insurance for two British travelers over aged 70 who want to visit Indonesia. She doesn't need an oncologist or cardiologist!

Comment

Lol Pusp.

Cicak Magnet

Comment

Originally posted by bad_azz View Post
          Hi guys,
          I am casting my nets out on behalf of my parents.
          I know I am looking for the proverbial rocking horse poop.

But my parents are both in their 70s, UK citizens.
          Mother had heart op (stents)
          Father had cancer- long time ago (10+ years in remission).
          They said they might actually visit me here, IF we can sort out some health insurance for the duration of their trip.

So my questions are:
          What are the chances of finding health cover?
          What are the chances of finding affordable health cover?
          Where would I find such health cover?
          B_A I'm 79 and live in Bali...since I turned 75 I've only been able to find health cover from Cigna. I had no previous conditions but it was so expensive I insured myself. In March I found I had a colon tumor and had extensive surgery and chemo-therapy....it has been expensive and paid out of my own pocket but I still haven't exceeded the cost of the premiums I would have paid to Gigna over the last 3 years.
          Also, the level of care I received in Bali would far outstrip what I would have in Canada, under my Medical Services Plan, or UK, under my NHS....I have, over the last 60+ years, contributed to both. Nor would any Insurance Comany have paid all the bills I incurred due to my acceptance of expensive care options.

My advice is your elderly parents should look for travel insurance, with a high deductable, and work on the principle if anything seriously occurred it would be best to return to UK.
          Otherwise....IMO....'normal and reasonable' medical care in Indonesia is affordable....out of pocket.

Comment

If they do come, I can scout some plane tickets for you.
            Sasa Bule is having a bayi!

Comment

Thanks for that Davita, I just took a look at an online search and a single 1 month trip to Indonesia would cost about £350 for the pair of them/ or anout £650 for a year worldwide- and to be honest, I didn't think it was that bad considering they are creaky gates

However my old dad is a Yorkshireman thru and thru , so he would think a fiver was too much ha!

& JC what a kind offer, Thank you... BUT, I am not holding my breath, I have been waiting for 5 years to even get to this point.
              Cicak Magnet

Comment

Since our USA issued health insurance does not provide much if any coverage abroad, I always get a travel policy (BonVoyage Travel Plan from Pacific Cross Insurance Limited out of Hong Kong) from an agent in Jakarta. Here is our contact:

Siska
                For and behalf of Nick Hayes CII (Award), Cert PFS of B.H. Financial Services Ltd
                In association with PT Finansindo Manatama Internasional

Office Phone : +62 21 769 2595
                Out of Office Hour (Emergency Number) : +62 811 133 4517
                Local Fax : +62 21 765 9013
                Int’l Fax (UK) : +44 208 711 6140
                Int’l Fax (HK) : +852 3015 8036

Comment

Originally posted by bad_azz View Post
                  Thanks for that Davita, I just took a look at an online search and a single 1 month trip to Indonesia would cost about £350 for the pair of them/ or anout £650 for a year worldwide- and to be honest, I didn't think it was that bad considering they are creaky gates
                  That single trip travel insurance, if benefits are acceptable, sounds reasonable to me as well B_A....and I'm a mean old Scot.

The cost of all insurance is based on risk factors and assessed by actuaries (the most boring profession). At the end of the day the amount of insurance your parents will need will depend on how much risk they are willing to take upon themselves, or, how much it costs to pay an insurance company to take that risk and still make a profit.
                  My impression is medical insurers are loathe to take that risk for the elderly, unless heavily guarded by premium cost. Remember, they aren't in the business of doing favours and they employ professional adjusters who aren't usually very empathetic or philanthropic......when it comes to paying out. In N. America it's called 'nickel and diming'!

Whilst I've advocated for 'self-insurance' in my previous post I confess it may NOT be suitable for the occasional traveller like your parents...nor may it be acceptable for getting a tourist visa. I remember the Indonosian Gov't, was 'humming' about ensuring ALL visitors have medical insurance and selling such at the airport in conjunction with a VOA...thankfully that didn't materialize but other countries, en route, may have similar requirements.

Comment

I'm wondering if they could get insurance with the airline they would be flying with, I'm going to Oz shortly, and it is mandatory for over 75s to have insurance, I found several insurance companies would only cover for 50%, I'm flying Garuda and they are doing full coverage, , unfortunately it's only from Indonesia, but the insurance company is Allianz, perhaps you could try them direct.

When I worked in Yorkshire, I was told that Yorkshire men are so tight, that even the fleas on a dogs back won't bite them, I would say careful, rather than tight
                    Last edited by Anglian; 09-06-16, 19:50.

Comment

Some fab responses guys, thank you so much. Will pass on the info... might not mention the fleas tho hahahahaha
                      Cicak Magnet

Comment

Originally posted by Anglian View Post
                        I'm wondering if they could get insurance with the airline they would be flying with, I'm going to Oz shortly, and it is mandatory for over 75s to have insurance, I found several insurance companies would only cover for 50%, I'm flying Garuda and they are doing full coverage, , unfortunately it's only from Indonesia, but the insurance company is Allianz, perhaps you could try them direct.
                        Sorry anglian but I'm wondering what you mean. Does the OZ gov't require medical insurance for over 75 yo to enter Australia.... or does the airline demand medical insurance for getting on their A/C?

Comment

Hi Davita, it is a government requirement, I've never been asked though, I saw it on an Australian government web. this would be for an e600 visitor visa, a medical is not required
                          Last edited by Anglian; 10-06-16, 08:36.

Comment

Originally posted by Anglian View Post
                            Hi Davita, it is a government requirement, I've never been asked though, I saw it on an Australian government web.
                            Thanks for the reply Anglian.

I was considering returning from Vancouver to Bali via Sydney and your post kinda threw me 'coz I don't have any medical insurance (too expensive).
                            I opened their E-travel website and filled all details, but didn't submit yet as not committed to that trip, and there isn't any mention of required medical insurance.

I also tried Allianz UK for a quote for travel cover, as if I were B_A's father visiting RI, but it doesn't cover anyone over 65 years of age.

Comment

Travel insurance for us olduns, is a problem, I was in Singapore with the smoke haze a while back, I had to visit a doctor due breathing problems, kept all my receipts, Doctor signed the claim form as required, when I returned to Jakarta my claim was rejected, why, I hadn't kept the airline seat tickets, who keeps seat tickets, my present travel insurance I got direct online with Garuda, can only be purchased here in Indonesia, the insurer is Allianz Indonesia,

Comment

Working...
                              X