Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Giving birth in Jakarta: Share your experiences!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giving birth in Jakarta: Share your experiences!

Hi ladies or hubbies,

I realised that there isn't much information for expats when it comes to giving birth in Jakarta. The backwards medical system in Jakarta, already makes one uneasy enough and plus the lack of childbirth info and support group for expat moms here just aggravate our fears. To many friends' surprise, I've just gave birth here and it wasn't that bad of an experience.

I thought I'd just start this thread to help mommies-to-be who are considering to give birth here have a better idea of what their options are. I know many expats and Indonesians fly back to their home countries or to Singapore to deliver; however this option is difficult for families who already have multiple children as the logistics is such a pain.

So let's start by sharing the gynaes and hospitals you go to and how do you conclude your experience. And if mommies-to-be have any questions, just shoot here or PM me/anyone else in the thread.

Here's a gist of mine:

[SIZE=2]Hospital and Gynae Chosen: Pondok Indah Hospital with Dr Azen Salim ( The fourth gynae I went to!!)
    Method of Delivery:
    Natural Without Epidural
    First Time/Subsequent birth:
    Second child
    No. of weeks before labour started:
    40 weeks and 5days
    No. of Days in Hospital:
    3days, 2 nights
    Pediatrician for baby: Dr Yovita (Pondok Indah Hospital), then Dr Lineus after discharge.[/SIZE]
    ---

Rate your experience (0-10): 6.5/10

Overall thoughts:

[COLOR=#333333]Overall, we thought that the entire experience delivering in Jakarta wasn’t bad however we felt we would probably felt otherwise if this were our first baby and had no prior experience delivering naturally; it would have probably be quite terrifying for us. The midwives in Singapore were really good as compared to here, they really guide the mother through the whole delivering process and the nurses were also very attentive to the mother’s needs and postnatal care afterwards which I found lacking here. Again, thank goodness it’s not my first delivery so I was not as frightened.

[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333]I would recommend first time moms who do not need to worry about logistic issues or moms with a more complicated pregnancy (for e.g: baby is breeched, etc) to go to Singapore for the delivery. However for non-first time moms with smooth natural delivery for previous births, I feel it will be okay to deliver in Jakarta.
    [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#333333]The other thing to consider is that paperwork and citizenship application for expats is such a chore. As the system in Indonesia is still very backward and manual, it takes many unnecessary steps to get the citizenship, passport, kitas(visa), etc. One cannot do all three concurrently so you can imagine the timeframe and hassle.[/COLOR]

---
    [FONT=arial]I've written a blog entry on my full birth story; for those who are interested, you can read in this post: [/FONT][COLOR=#800080]http://www.mummynista.com/2014/10/giving-birth-in-jakarta-via-natural-delivery/[/COLOR]

[FONT=arial]If you are hunting for a gynae..I've written in detail about my 'hunt' as well: [COLOR=#800080]http://www.mummynista.com/2014/06/finding-gynaecologist-obstetrician-in-jakarta/[/COLOR][/FONT][SIZE=2]

[/SIZE]
    [COLOR=#ff0066]{I blog about expatriate living, beauty, dining and family experiences in Jakarta.} [/COLOR]

To truly assess a system there needs to be problems so you can appreciate the way the system responds to those. Great that you had an uncomplicated delivery mummynista, but the fact you had a smooth, intervention and complication free delivery does not "test" the system. From numerous reports its probably wise not to personally "test the system" here.

Your advice to deliver in Singapore is sage.
    Things happen for a reason...

Comment

MMC in Kuningan and St. Sarolus for my two - both 8/10.

Maybe you should add costs as well...

Comment

Pondok Indah Hospital, with dr. Azen Salim. The third Gynaecologist I've seen and he took care of me when my pregnancy was already 7 mos

My rate 7/10, because of the paediatrician was not there to attend the delivery and I had problem with my baby!! Thank goodness dr. Azen did a quick act so everything was fine.

Price was a lot cheaper compare to Medistra and Brawjaya Hospital.

Our paediatrician now is dr. Lineus from JWCC.

Paperwork was done very smoothly, that time we paid Rp. 750,000 to the hospital, and they took care the birth certificate. It was done in 2 weeks. I took the birth certificate to the embassy, registered the birth and apply for passport. Very simple.

I am an Indonesian but all my children are holding foreign citizenship.

Comment

Tangerang- Dr Dachrial Daud Siloam Hospitals- He is a patient senior doctor....
          Our pediatrician was Dr Erick Kan, pro breastfeeding, smart, communicative.......
          "The Beauty of Indonesia is located outside Jakarta"

Comment

@mummynista, you say on your blog "No BCG shot given throughout the entire hospital stay; unlike Singapore, BCG shot in Indonesia is only given to infants after 1 month old."

The WHO standard for TB immunisation of babies in high risk countries is within 24 hrs of birth. The fact that your baby was not immunised until after one month may have been due to specific circumstances - it certainly does not apply to Indonesia as a whole.
            Sometimes I feel I must be lexdysic.

Comment

Originally posted by mummynista View Post
              Hi ladies or hubbies,

I realised that there isn't much information for expats when it comes to giving birth in Jakarta. The backwards medical system in Jakarta, already makes one uneasy enough and plus the lack of childbirth info and support group for expat moms here just aggravate our fears. To many friends' surprise, I've just gave birth here and it wasn't that bad of an experience.

I thought I'd just start this thread to help mommies-to-be who are considering to give birth here have a better idea of what their options are. I know many expats and Indonesians fly back to their home countries or to Singapore to deliver; however this option is difficult for families who already have multiple children as the logistics is such a pain.

So let's start by sharing the gynaes and hospitals you go to and how do you conclude your experience. And if mommies-to-be have any questions, just shoot here or PM me/anyone else in the thread.

Here's a gist of mine:

[SIZE=2]Hospital and Gynae Chosen: Pondok Indah Hospital with Dr Azen Salim ( The fourth gynae I went to!!)
              Method of Delivery:
              Natural Without Epidural
              First Time/Subsequent birth:
              Second child
              No. of weeks before labour started:
              40 weeks and 5days
              No. of Days in Hospital:
              3days, 2 nights
              Pediatrician for baby: Dr Yovita (Pondok Indah Hospital), then Dr Lineus after discharge.[/SIZE]
              ---

Rate your experience (0-10): 6.5/10

Overall thoughts:

[COLOR=#333333]Overall, we thought that the entire experience delivering in Jakarta wasn’t bad however we felt we would probably felt otherwise if this were our first baby and had no prior experience delivering naturally; it would have probably be quite terrifying for us. The midwives in Singapore were really good as compared to here, they really guide the mother through the whole delivering process and the nurses were also very attentive to the mother’s needs and postnatal care afterwards which I found lacking here. Again, thank goodness it’s not my first delivery so I was not as frightened.

[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333]I would recommend first time moms who do not need to worry about logistic issues or moms with a more complicated pregnancy (for e.g: baby is breeched, etc) to go to Singapore for the delivery. However for non-first time moms with smooth natural delivery for previous births, I feel it will be okay to deliver in Jakarta.
              [/COLOR]
              [COLOR=#333333]The other thing to consider is that paperwork and citizenship application for expats is such a chore. As the system in Indonesia is still very backward and manual, it takes many unnecessary steps to get the citizenship, passport, kitas(visa), etc. One cannot do all three concurrently so you can imagine the timeframe and hassle.[/COLOR]

---
              [FONT=arial]I've written a blog entry on my full birth story; for those who are interested, you can read in this post: [/FONT][COLOR=#800080]http://www.mummynista.com/2014/10/giving-birth-in-jakarta-via-natural-delivery/[/COLOR]

[FONT=arial]If you are hunting for a gynae..I've written in detail about my 'hunt' as well: [COLOR=#800080]http://www.mummynista.com/2014/06/finding-gynaecologist-obstetrician-in-jakarta/[/COLOR][/FONT][SIZE=2]

[/SIZE]

How does one fly back to their home country to give birth? Do you mean, like 5 or 6 moths before?

Comment

Originally posted by gerrardtorres View Post
                How does one fly back to their home country to give birth? Do you mean, like 5 or 6 moths before?
                Most airlines will allow pregnant women to fly up until around 34 weeks gestation.

Each airline will have its own more exact policy.
                Things happen for a reason...

Comment

what a lucky woman to be able to deliver without any complication.

Mine was very tricky. Had booked and registered to deliver in St. Carolus, but ended up having to get emergency Cesarean procedure instead due to my condition and my baby's at a government hospital near my mom's.

The gyno that helped me was very nice though he didn't really know me or the history of my pregnancy. Anyway, it ended up well and the outer stitches was removed a month after the surgery.
                  Cost: approx. 9 mio (2nd class) with baby co-sleeping with me. No BPJS or insurance coverage.
                  [COLOR=black]
                  [/COLOR]

Comment

@Michelle, I second your thoughts. One definitely wouldn't want to 'test' the system here (even with top hospitals in Jakarta) if there were any complications. My indonesian friend who had just delivered via c-sect, had a bad experience with the administration of the epidural. She was hurting even after 3 month postpartum.

@MissNaughty, I think the processes are bit easier for you as you are Indonesian and the ability to communicate Bahasa helped. The hospital helped us with the birth cert but keyed in our daughter's name wrongly. And being usual Indonesian style, they couldn't correct it right on the spot. We had to go to the high court to get it fixed, etc...

@Bagindo, At least that was what both Pondok Indah Hospital and Dr lineus from JWCC told me..that BCG in indo is only administrated a month after the birth. WHO may have specified certain recommended practice but I highly doubt Indonesia implemented closely.

@Gerrardtorres, can you share which gynae you delivered with? We spent 23mil for the delivery and boarding; no insurance coverage. @Michelle was right about the travelling; most moms fly a month before delivery. And fly back a month after delivery. Some Indonesian friends actually fly 2 weeks before delivery to Singapore.
                    Last edited by mummynista; 01-12-14, 15:55.
                    [COLOR=#ff0066]{I blog about expatriate living, beauty, dining and family experiences in Jakarta.} [/COLOR]

Comment

Yes, red tape here is frustrating. Typing a wrong letter, I guess will have to go through the same process of changing name .

regarding BCG, when in Indo my baby received injection the next day after delivery. In china, it was a month after delivery.

Comment

Originally posted by mummynista View Post
                        @Bagindo, At least that was what both Pondok Indah Hospital and Dr lineus from JWCC..that BCG in indo is only administrated a month after the birth. WHO may have specified certain recommended practice but I highly doubt Indonesia implemented closely.
                        Originally posted by Missnaughty View Post
                        regarding BCG, when in Indo my baby received injection the next day after delivery. In china, it was a month after delivery.
                        Yeah my baby was vaccinated with BCG the day after birth also - the statement that '[COLOR=#333333]BCG in indo is only administrated a month after the birth'[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333] is incorrect. But, t[/COLOR]he Indonesian Government recommendation is within two months of birth, so we all win

Incidentally, I have recently had an aunt-in-law die from TB. I had only met her once, which was when she had visited us at home to see our new (month old) baby. She never mentioned she had active TB! (and she knew..grrr)
                        Sometimes I feel I must be lexdysic.

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle O'Brien View Post
                          Most airlines will allow pregnant women to fly up until around 34 weeks gestation.

Each airline will have its own more exact policy.
                          Gotcha.

Still, 6-8 weeks in a hotel is costly. Unless, one has people/a house to stay with in their own respective country.

Anyway, for us, wish we could have gone back to our home country but not possible financially.

Comment

Hospital: RS St. Carolus in Gading Serpong
                            Method: Cesarean with epidural
                            OBGYN: Cristina Handoko
                            Birth number: 1
                            Weeks before labor: 41 (had to be induced)
                            Days in Hospital: 3 days 2 nights
                            Pediatrician: Dr. Ruth
                            --------------
                            Rating:
                            For birth: 10/10
                            After birth: 7/20
                            Am I happy? 11/10 (baby is healthy and there were no issues)

-------
                            Thoughts:

We would regularly go to the hospital for check ups prior to delivery. We were well informed with what was going on plus it helped that we took the initiative with reading up on the birthing process and all that. But of course, it really didnt matter as our baby's umbilical cord was wrapped around her neck almost 3 times and so she had to be delivered by c-section.

My wife's recovery was outstanding...she was walking the next day and was the talk of the ward.

One thing we didn't like was that after baby had been delivered, they placed her on my wife's chest but my wife was shaking uncontrollably so her arms were strapped down. My wife got to see our baby about 24 hours later which of course was quite sad and a little upsetting. The information they gave us was a bit odd... at first they said our baby would be in the NICU under observation, however she was just under a heater and was under a more simple observation. They said she had something going on with her lungs, maybe some residual amniotic fluid.

Otherwise, the experience was good.

Cost: somewhere close to 21juta, maybe a couple juta more. (vip room)
                            Tolak orang gila

Comment

Originally posted by OomBen View Post
                              Hospital: RS St. Carolus in Gading Serpong
                              Method: Cesarean with epidural
                              OBGYN: Cristina Handoko
                              Birth number: 1
                              Weeks before labor: 41 (had to be induced)
                              Days in Hospital: 3 days 2 nights
                              Pediatrician: Dr. Ruth
                              --------------
                              Rating:
                              For birth: 10/10
                              After birth: 7/20
                              Am I happy? 11/10 (baby is healthy and there were no issues)

-------
                              Thoughts:

We would regularly go to the hospital for check ups prior to delivery. We were well informed with what was going on plus it helped that we took the initiative with reading up on the birthing process and all that. But of course, it really didnt matter as our baby's umbilical cord was wrapped around her neck almost 3 times and so she had to be delivered by c-section.

My wife's recovery was outstanding...she was walking the next day and was the talk of the ward.

One thing we didn't like was that after baby had been delivered, they placed her on my wife's chest but my wife was shaking uncontrollably so her arms were strapped down. My wife got to see our baby about 24 hours later which of course was quite sad and a little upsetting. The information they gave us was a bit odd... at first they said our baby would be in the NICU under observation, however she was just under a heater and was under a more simple observation. They said she had something going on with her lungs, maybe some residual amniotic fluid.

Otherwise, the experience was good.

Cost: somewhere close to 21juta, maybe a couple juta more. (vip room)
                              Oh wow that is really amazing that she is walking around after a c-sect! I could barely walk(for both deliveries) despite giving birth naturally. Did your wife have any back pains related to the epidural administrated?

That taking the baby away part and inability to give a clear explanation really makes parents anxious. Pondok Indah nurses did the same to us as well, though ours was a little shorter. They took her for 2hrs, returned her back to breastfeed then took her away immediately for another 4 hours. They said they need to put her under the heater to "regulate" her body temperature but later on said something else. After baby was returned to us, she was really drowsy and barely fed for 8 hours...that really freaked us out and the nurses couldn't advise us. Hubby and I suspect that maybe the nurses drug or fed baby glucose when she was away from us.. but who knows!

Anyway, all's good after we got out of the hospital.

Comment

Working...
                              X