Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any birth complications at Brawijayah and Pondok Indah maternity care?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any birth complications at Brawijayah and Pondok Indah maternity care?

Hi moms and dads and maybe grandparents :-)
    ....I really want to hear of anyone who has HAD complications/emergency at delivery time either with the mom or baby and how it was handled at these two hospitals.

I'm still very undecided about delivering here or in Singapore. Cost is not a factor due to insurance in both cases.
    My biggest issue with Singapore delivery is leaving my already existing family here for that long (6 wks or so!!), especially given that we just arrived, and while I'm happy with the staff we have for now....I am anxious about leaving for that long.

Also taking them with me is not an option due to disruption in school, etc. again because of recent arrival.

I'm also only interested in those 2 hospitals because of location and proximity to where we will be living.
    I've been to both and have met good delivery Doctors at both...and I am sure that in a regular delivery either would be great.

BUT there is always an unknown factor with giving birth. Previous healthy deliveries and healthy pregnancy can not counter the unknown. I am just not confident that either are equipped to handle emergencies.

So if anyone would like to share any emergency-type experience you've had via here or private message I'd really be grateful.
    Thanks!

Hi JennyHM,

i had my baby at Brawijaya. I was already in trimester three when I first came to JKT and spoke no Indonesian at all. Someone directed me to an english-speaking doctor practicing at Brawijaya. I was facing similar options as you and undecided if I should deliver in India, Singapore or here.

After consultation with the doctor I was comfortable and we made the decision to stay put. My intention was to have a natural delivery and I made that very clear to te doctor after reading several posts about how they try to push you for c-sections. In my 36th week the doc found that my blood wasn't reaching my baby properly. Te resistance was too high. So she gave me medication that would help to make my blood thinner and flow easier. A week a later she said it was all okay and suggested I stop the medication coz if I go into labour, there would be chances of haemorrhage. Week 38 saw the resistance rise again. At this point in time she recommended that I go in for a c-section (coz baby was 2.5 kg) though she was okay if I chose to wait it out and go into natural labour. We prayed over it and spoke to her again. She was very matter-of-fact in explaining that we could go either way. However, in her experience and that of her gynae friends, sometimes the baby may not be able to survive as we are not sure whether the amount of blood going through was enough as the resistance was high. We decided on a c-section after doing one last check up. All was well. My baby was born at 2.5 kg as determined though had a bit of a respiratory problem and was in the natal ICU for 48 hours. She was also allergic to cow's milk protein. At this point in time, we're over all the health issues and she is all of 15 months old, super active and healthy. I'm greatful to God for her. If there is anything else you'd like to know, feel free to ask/PM me and I'd be happy to have a chat.

Brawijaya is one of the more expensive hospitals I gather. But if cost is not an issue, it's a good choice. Though I can't compare it to Pondok Indah as I have no experience there. The nurses are nice and polite and happy to help. Most of them can speak a bit of English and if need be will happily call a mate to help translate. Food is not bad either. The one thing I was amazed to see the the team in the operation room during the c-section. There were atleast 8 people around. Everything was smooth. They explained each procedure to me including the anaesthesia part (I'm a first time mum so I was scared, curios, excited and anxious all at the same time). Where needed they had someone to translate it in English for me. Post operation, I was given good care. No complaints at all except that I don't really like hospitals (never did) and just wanted to be home!

Apologies for this super long post.

Regards,
    kinjal

Comment

Kinjal thank you so so so much! I'll PM you :-)

Originally posted by KinjalD View Post
      Hi JennyHM,

i had my baby at Brawijaya. I was already in trimester three when I first came to JKT and spoke no Indonesian at all. Someone directed me to an english-speaking doctor practicing at Brawijaya. I was facing similar options as you and undecided if I should deliver in India, Singapore or here.

After consultation with the doctor I was comfortable and we made the decision to stay put. My intention was to have a natural delivery and I made that very clear to te doctor after reading several posts about how they try to push you for c-sections. In my 36th week the doc found that my blood wasn't reaching my baby properly. Te resistance was too high. So she gave me medication that would help to make my blood thinner and flow easier. A week a later she said it was all okay and suggested I stop the medication coz if I go into labour, there would be chances of haemorrhage. Week 38 saw the resistance rise again. At this point in time she recommended that I go in for a c-section (coz baby was 2.5 kg) though she was okay if I chose to wait it out and go into natural labour. We prayed over it and spoke to her again. She was very matter-of-fact in explaining that we could go either way. However, in her experience and that of her gynae friends, sometimes the baby may not be able to survive as we are not sure whether the amount of blood going through was enough as the resistance was high. We decided on a c-section after doing one last check up. All was well. My baby was born at 2.5 kg as determined though had a bit of a respiratory problem and was in the natal ICU for 48 hours. She was also allergic to cow's milk protein. At this point in time, we're over all the health issues and she is all of 15 months old, super active and healthy. I'm greatful to God for her. If there is anything else you'd like to know, feel free to ask/PM me and I'd be happy to have a chat.

Brawijaya is one of the more expensive hospitals I gather. But if cost is not an issue, it's a good choice. Though I can't compare it to Pondok Indah as I have no experience there. The nurses are nice and polite and happy to help. Most of them can speak a bit of English and if need be will happily call a mate to help translate. Food is not bad either. The one thing I was amazed to see the the team in the operation room during the c-section. There were atleast 8 people around. Everything was smooth. They explained each procedure to me including the anaesthesia part (I'm a first time mum so I was scared, curios, excited and anxious all at the same time). Where needed they had someone to translate it in English for me. Post operation, I was given good care. No complaints at all except that I don't really like hospitals (never did) and just wanted to be home!

Apologies for this super long post.

Regards,
      kinjal

Comment

Working...
      X