Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a used car - registration

Hello,
    I am wanting to buy a used car but am confused about the Purchase/registration process.

My employer is based in Jakarta, the address on my ITAS is West Papua (1st location I was assigned to), my current official Domicile and family home is Bandung (registered address with Polsek and on my SIM A and C), but I am now stationed in Palembang.

I have been told by some colleagues (Indonesians) that I can only buy a car with Plates that are the same as my Domicile (ie Bandung).

Q: can I buy a used car with Jakarta plates? and If so, when the registration expires is it an easy process to re-register the vehicle to another province?
    (the advice I have received from locals is varied)
    Appreciate some factual advice.

Sorry to say that the only thing I know about buying a car is that you will need the NIK number of your SKTT (Indonesian ID card issued by Kantor Cacatan Sipil) for registering the car in your own name .

About your ITAS from West Papua and you being in Palembang and residing in Bandung , I think you may be not in a legal situation . Immigration requires all foreigners to report new address by Law . And if you have a Work ITAS , you cannot work in any place that was not first approved in your Work Permit .

UU no.6 , year 2011
    Article 71
    Each foreigner residing in the Territory of Indonesia shall:
    a. provide all necessary information regarding his/her identity and/or his/her family, and report any changes in civil status, nationality, occupation, sponsor, or a change of address to the local Immigration Office; or
    b...

Article 116
    Each Foreigner who do not perform his/her obligations as stipulated in Article 71 shall be punished with a maximum confinement of 3 (three) months or a fine of up to 25,000,000, 00 (twenty five million rupiah).

Comment

Thankyou for the advice Marcus.
      my ITAS has me covered for work in multiple specific provinces including my current location - but I will check whether my employer has notified immigration of actual current address. (The ITAS card only states the original address but the backup paperwork states all of the allowable work locations)
      The NIK is stated on my NPWP as my passport number - I?m confident I have all the necessary documents to buy a car, it?s just whether there are restrictions on where I can buy (and/or register) a second hand car.
      Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Argaustus View Post
        (1) ...The NIK is stated on my NPWP as my passport number ...

(2) it?s just whether there are restrictions on where I can buy (and/or register) a second hand car.

(1) Are you sure about that , because I also have a NPWP and it does not have the NIK number in it . Are you sure you got the SKTT/Surat Keterangan Tempat Tinggal (a kind of id card) , as not all foeigners/employers know about it .

(2) Although there may be a difference between new and used cars , you could go to a new car's dealer (that also help the buyer for the documents) and ask if you could buy a car even having a SKTT from another city . If they say you can buy , then there is a big change you can also buy a used car . Or check if you find a similar used car's dealer to ask that .

But be careful because if you ask a wrong employee , you may not get a reliable information .
        Last edited by marcus; 4 weeks ago.

Comment

Hi marcus
          Definitely have NIK stated on my tax card as my passport number (just issued 2 weeks ago so perhaps this is a new thing the tax office do).
          As for the SKTT, I have a paper one (?Surat Keterangan? only, not stated with ?Tempat Tinggal?) from my Kecematan, but not a card. When we approached the Kelurahan they wouldn?t issue anything to me, but ultimately Polsek accepted the SK from Kecematan and registered me at that address so I could obtain a 5-yr drivers license.
          You can add me to the list of foreigners not aware there was a card version of SKTT!
          i tried the new car dealership and the answer I got was I can buy a new car from them, but I would have to have it transported to my place of domicile and register it there.

Comment

Originally posted by Argaustus View Post
            ... Surat Keterangan? only, not stated with ?Tempat Tinggal?) from my Kecematan, but not a card. When we approached the Kelurahan they wouldn?t issue anything to me, ...

It seems that you don't have the SKTT , which is around the size of a credit card and usually issued by the city's government through the Kantor Catatan Sipil . I think you will have to get it in order to buy a car in your name .

-------------------------------------------------------

From https://www.viva.co.id/otomotif/1027...adi-bisa-tidak , April 2018
            Foreigner Buy Car On His Personal Name, Can or Cannot ?
            [... Public Relations Manager of PT Toyota Astra Motor, Rouli Sijabat said ... "It is possible for foreigners to buy a car in Indonesia. The process is more or less the same. Only, there are some other requirements needed," ... "... he must have a KITAS (Temporary Residence Permit Card). Then, there is a domicile certificate, and there is a Surat Keterangan Tinggal Tetap or SKTT...]
            Poster's Note : The SKTT is not Surat Keterangan Tinggal Tetap but Surat Keterangan Tempat Tinggal

-------------------------------------------------------

http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.or...t-in-indonesia (buy a car , documents)

Comment

Working...
            X