Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice needed !

Hi !
    I wonder, if there is any Briton who has married Indonesia Lady out there?
    I need some advice or share experience with them, how do they manage their Marriage Certificate or at least Marriage Visa to the UK?
    My fiance is Briton, lives in in UK, I have visited him twice using Tourist Visa during this 6 months and he has been to Indonesia as well (for holidays)
    Appreciate your response.
    Thanks a ton !

I suggest you to search the internet , ask your fiance , and post here more detailed questions (where will you marry , for example) .

https://www.gov.uk/apply-uk-visa (about UK Visa)

https://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/indonesia/Bahasa/index.html (UK Visa information)

www.vfsglobal.co.uk/indonesia/how_to_apply.html (how to apply)

Comment

Hallo Marcus, thank you for your response, when i was in UK, my fiance and I went to city council to get some information. I just wanna learn from others who have got their marriage certificate, surely there are few ways to get it. While for myself, we may marry either in Indo or in UK, depends if Indo Marriage certificate (in Christian way) can be valid or acceptable for UK government. Is why i wanna know more, how or where we should get married. Thank You.

Comment

Originally posted by ffistanio View Post
        (1) ... I just wanna learn from others who have got their marriage certificate, ...

(2) depends if Indo Marriage certificate (in Christian way) can be valid or acceptable for UK government ...

(1) See the link below to know how to marry in Indonesia .

(2) Probably a marriage in Indonesia is recognized by the UK government . I guess you don't need to worry as In 10 years I didn't see anybody in this Forum who encountered a problem of not having his/her Indonesian marriage recognized abroad . What can happen is that each country may have a different procedure to accept the foreign marriage certificate (legalization , or registration in the Embassy , ..) .

I think that your main problem will be to get a long term UK Visa . For example , I remember one case where an UK citizen married with an Indonesian but could not bring the Indonesian spouse to live in UK because the long term UK visa required the UK citizen to have an income above a certain value .

---------------------------------

http://www.expat.or.id/info/gettingm...indonesia.html (Marriage in Indonesia or how to register a foreign marriage in Indonesia)

http://www.expat.or.id/info/prenuptialagreement.html (prenup/separated wealth if you intend to buy Indonesian property in the future)

http://www.expat.or.id/info/mixmarriages.html (dual citizenship for your children - see middle of the page)
        Last edited by marcus; 26-02-18, 08:13.

Comment

I would consider getting married in UK if that's available. It will add credibility to a later application for residency in UK ...although UK does recognize all countries marriage certificates.
          A simple Registry Office wedding with witnesses suffices. Your big wedding ceremony could be done later in Indonesia.

That's what my wife and I did...31 years ago. We had a simple wedding in Hong Kong (British Colony) and the big church wedding with the dress/flowers/drinks/speeches (Indonesian style with 500 guests).... in Jakarta a few days later.
          We still have both certificates but never lived in UK...we both immigrated to Canada instead.
          My wife took Canadian citizenship but lost her Indonesian citizenship.. If you go to UK you might want to consider remaining Indonesian as it gives benefits if you ever return to reside in Indonesia.

Comment

Hallo guys, thank you very much for your response, another knowledge for me, yes, that's what i thought earlier : to get married in UK would give me a credit when i apply UK visa, i do not want to get UK citizenship, will keep Indonesian citizenship, Like Marcus said, my concern is to get UK visa which i'm aware its difficult, not like other country. We decide to live between 2 countries, UK & Indo. Do you think, I can apply for Tourist Visa all the time if I have got Marriage Certificate from UK registry office? let's say, to live there for 5 or 6 months, then back to Indo for half years, then back again to UK. Appreciate your response on my matter. Thank you so much.

Comment

I'm not sure what the UK process is these days but they generally want to know if your marriage is a sham to just get you into UK. I'm sure if you produce all the proper documents it will not be a problem...but like all bureaucratic, and civil services.... it may take time and frustration.
              Your to-be husband will also need to get a visa to live in Indonesia for any length of time. He can get a Sosbud sponsored by you or family but, after the first 60 days it needs extending every 30 days up to 6 months, and that can get tedious.
              On a future trip to Indonesia, with him on a Sosbud, I'd investigate getting him a spousal Kitas which lasts a year before needing an extension.

Comment

Right, yes, they (UK) avoid such 'crime' - paper marriage, i'm also aware of his income need to be certain amount set by the regulations which he is trying to do now onwards, to bring me in to the UK. Yeah, he needs visa too to live in Indo, I get used to take care of legal documentation for expatriates working in my office, more or less i understand a bit the process. Thank you very much & appreciate your kind help to obtain further info on the spousal KITAS Which I've never dealt with, as I always handle 'work visa' for those expats work here. Btw, where is your origin in UK? my fiancee is somewhere nearby Manchester.

Comment

Sorry, but I don't understand why you wanted to stay in the UK for 5-6 months and the rest in Indonesia. Why don't just settle in Indonesia or in the UK?
                  if you stay in the UK for 5-6 months, it means you have to give up your job, doesnt it? Unless you are working part time.
                  If you don't have a job, it will be hard to get a UK visa if you can't show strong ties to your country, especially if you are married to a British. HO will think you have no intention to go back.

Comment

Hallo Caffeine, thank you for your response, we both soon will be retired. My children live in Indo, and his children live in UK, so we agree to share our time in both countries.I run a social organization here, where i don't need to be full time at work, He is retired as well.

Comment

Ah... I see. If you want to get married in UK but not settle there, you must have a marriage visit visa. I think it is easy to get. My wife got it with no problem and we got married last year. If you have your own property or business or asset, I think you have no problem in getting the visa.

Comment

aah ok, Caffeine, it gives me more information now, thank you very much. So better to hold the marriage in the UK? civil marriage? or is it better in Indo? pls adv. Again, thank you very much ! appreciate it.

Comment

It is the same hassle, from my point of view. We got married in England, because we have different religion. If you both have the same religion, you could get married in Indonesia. I think your fiance must put an 'announcement' in British Embassy to show his intent to get married for a month (costs 1mills, maybe more now). You still have to get through the same things as you wanted to get married with Indonesian, all forms and register to KUA or registry office...(I assume you know as you have children). And you dont have to register your marriage in British Embassy.

If you choose to get married in England, the hassle will be in getting the visa...😁😁😁😁. Then you will have to go to the designated registry office to register your intent to get married, also for a month (free of charge). Then you can get married. Simple. If you want to live in Indonesia, you must go to the Indonesian Embassy and register your marriage there. You will get 'surat keterangan menikah' that you can show the registry office in the area where you live and your passport will be stamped showing you are a legal wife of your husband (free of charge, done less than an hour).

Comment

Working...
                          X