Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

From US , Cost of Living in Indonesia ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • From US , Cost of Living in Indonesia ?

    My family and I are planning on moving from the USA to Demak, Central Java. I am partially retired right now and married to an Indonesian wife and we have a young son. Our biggest concern right now is having enough money to live in Indonesia. I previously lived in Indonesia with no problem but left the country 10 years ago. I know the cost of living has increased since then. Could someone tell me if a monthly salary of about US$3,000 or about Rp39,000,000 be enough to comfortably live in Demak. I am thinking this is enough. Thanks for your help!

  • #2
    I would imagine you could live "high on the hog" and save a substantial amount . btw after speaking to my wife it is "full on" muslim in demak I would imagine you will get little rest in that place .

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by erickvenden View Post
      ... Could someone tell me if a monthly salary of about US$3,000 or about Rp39,000,000 be enough to comfortably live in Demak ...

      Except for few things (wine , beer , and similar that are a lot more expensive) , other things are of similar prices , I guess . Industrialized things are cheaper in USA , services are cheaper here in Indonesia .

      http://www.expat.or.id/info/sitemap.html

      Are you aware of your best option for visa ?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by scouser59 View Post
        I would imagine you could live "high on the hog" and save a substantial amount . btw after speaking to my wife it is "full on" muslim in demak I would imagine you will get little rest in that place .
        Scouser59, thanks for your input. I thought it probably would be enough. Demak is my wife's hometown, I have also been there many times. I and my family are Muslim, so no problems.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by marcus View Post


          Except for few things (wine , beer , and similar that are a lot more expensive) , other things are of similar prices , I guess . Industrialized things are cheaper in USA , services are cheaper here in Indonesia .

          http://www.expat.or.id/info/sitemap.html

          Are you aware of your best option for visa ?
          Marcus, thanks for your input. I am struggling a bit with the visa. We plan on having my wife (WNI) sponsor both myself and my son. I think I read somewhere on this site that it may be easier to enter Indonesia with a visit visa and then request a KITAS after in the country. The reason I am thinking that this might be the best way is because I lost contact with the person who used to handle my visas. I did get a quote from a company in Jakarta to take care of the KITAS processing but the price seems very high. If it is possible for me to enter for a 3 month period and then process the KITAS that may be better, that way I can find someone to help me process the KITAS. Also it will be easier for my wife to take care of renewing her KTP and getting her KK for the processing. Do you have any recommendations for someone to help me with the visas?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by erickvenden View Post

            Marcus, thanks for your input. I am struggling a bit with the visa. We plan on having my wife (WNI) sponsor both myself and my son. I think I read somewhere on this site that it may be easier to enter Indonesia with a visit visa and then request a KITAS after in the country. The reason I am thinking that this might be the best way is because I lost contact with the person who used to handle my visas. I did get a quote from a company in Jakarta to take care of the KITAS processing but the price seems very high. If it is possible for me to enter for a 3 month period and then process the KITAS that may be better, that way I can find someone to help me process the KITAS. Also it will be easier for my wife to take care of renewing her KTP and getting her KK for the processing. Do you have any recommendations for someone to help me with the visas?
            Marcus, never mind. I just spoke to the Indonesian Embassy in the US and they have told me that it would be easier for me to request a Sosial Budaya Visa and then change it to a KITAS after arriving in Indonesia. I will go that route as it seems the easiest since my sponsor (my wife) is here in the US with me and not in Indonesia. Thanks for your help.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by erickvenden View Post
              ... they have told me that it would be easier for me to request a Sosial Budaya Visa and then change it to a KITAS after arriving in Indonesia ...

              Good advice .

              Comment


              • #8
                More than enough.  We have lived comfortably for much less for the past six years.  I too am married to an Indonesian and we have been able to maintain an upper middle class lifestyle here.  Yes, costs are increasing but we have found that by changing some of our spending habits we can easily maintain our lifestyle here.  We recently moved from Bali to Jogya and are finding costs of living here to be much less expensive.  The area you are going too is similar. Please contact me if you need any further advice.
                 

                Comment

                Working...
                X