Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would you do in this situation? Builders...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you do in this situation? Builders...

Has anyone here been in this situation, what did you do and what was the outcome?

We are getting some basic house repairs done and the contractor is charging 2,000,000 for labour. He said it will take 5 days and 2-3 people for the job. I did the math and agreed, as it's a fair price for the builders and some profit for the big boss man contractor.

So yesterday the boss and one man showed up to do some measuring. An hour later they both said they were done and left for the day... then today two builders show up, work three hours, say they are half finished and leave because they don't have the materials to do the other half. They say they will come back tomorrow and finish the job.

I've calculated it that the job will take 2 guys one full day to do the job. What should I say to the boss when he comes tomorrow for his payment?

Anyone here been in this situation?

I'm thinking of sending him a message asking him if he will still charge 2,000,000 for labour, seeing what he calculated at the start was very different to what actually happened. That will put the pressure on him I suppose...

If the work you contracted to be completed is done to your satisfaction at the price agreed upon, be happy. Finding a reliable tukang who actually does good work, reasonably close to the schedule initially suggested and at a fair price is a rarity. If you think you might ever need the guy's service in the future, I would refrain from attempting to renegotiate the deal, especially in this case where the potential monetary gain is so small.

Comment

I think tell him to get a move on, and no change in the price, I'm afraid getting reliable workers can be a problem, and even getting workers who know what they are supposed to be doing, so just keep plugging away and the job will eventual get done

Comment

You've already accepted the quotation, how he goes about finishing the job is up to him. I feel that you can really only complain if the end result is substandard.

I think you're underestimating how difficult it is to organise competent workers in this country.

Comment

So in the price breakdown, it's ok for a contractor to ask for 2 juta for labour because it's a 2-3 man job and will take 5 days. Then when it comes to the actual work the job takes two people the equivalent of one full day.

I'm in the wrong job

Comment

Yes, as Indo2000 says, the way the lads operate is to estimate how many days and give you a price.
            When sorting out builders you have two choices to go for:

A daily rate- more expensive and less popular with the builders - they have to think about job security- and they have to be able to tell their gang how much work they are handing out. The guys who work in the gang are not going to be as motivated by a daily job as they are by a fixed time job. You are more likely to get the guys who can't get work on the more popular building gangs on this rate.

Or a fixed price job, as you bought - this is as it says a fixed price agreed on in advance to get the work done- you are always more likely to get the better gangs on this because they know they have work for a set amount of dates, they are somewhat protected from cancellations and "plim-=plam" people.

An insight as to how it works with my Indonesian family...
            A call comes in- "we want a job doing, can you do it?" "Response: "what job, how many days, how many men?" (If the caller isn't already in the trade and can't answer the questions, then they will go out and look and price up the job)
            Then danger factors are added in- height of building - not that long ago my hubby was painting the 4th floor external walls of an office block, with nowt more than bamboo "ladders"and ledges.. this tends to bung a bit extra to the price... if it is a job involving travel, are costs and accommodation and food factored in?, all that is considered before agreement on a fixed price job.

Anyway once the needs of the job have been decided the gang boss will call around all the guys to see who is available, not sick, in the area, not on another job etc... then he will meet up with them and explain the job- then as a group they will decide whether to take the work or not.

If it is not enough pay, too far away, even if it is decided that it is someone who they don't like the attitude of or don't trust etc... they will turn it down- because all they really want is to work and get paid- they do not want hassles and arguments.
            AND if they are on a job and get hassles- believe me word will get out in the business- rapidly - so the person wanting the work done is best advised not to be an emotional or a plim-plam (<<<hmmm ditherer, always changing the goal posts) person or a bad payer.

So in short- decide exactly what you want doing, explain exactly what you want doing, agree on a price- leave them to it- monitor the work, obviously, to see it is exactly as you explained- if not then, ask why; there could be a valid reason that they were too malu to try and explain to you (assuming you are a foreigner). If it is just a misunderstanding- correct it and continue as you were.

* in my kitchen extension I found a meter high wall had been started in a place where I did not want a wall- luckily I was around to question it... they thought my
            kitchen-dining room was to be a kitchen and a separate dining room... easy error to make considering my naff bhs Indonesia.
            As it happened the mini wall was where I wanted my cabinets and worktop- so we kept the small part of wall as the structure for the cabinets. (Hubby then constructed all my kitchen cabinets out of reclaimed wood and nails from the building work).
            Last edited by bad_azz; 29-05-16, 16:05.
            Cicak Magnet

Comment

If the job is priced flat rate, then you get the job done. I find that most estimators overestimate how long it will take. I recall I had a new central air unit installed in the states. They said it would take 2 days. It was done in two hours.
              Sasa Bule is having a bayi!

Comment

Originally posted by Jaime C View Post
                If the job is priced flat rate, then you get the job done. I find that most estimators overestimate how long it will take. I recall I had a new central air unit installed in the states. They said it would take 2 days. It was done in two hours.
                While its good to add some 'padding' to the estimate its not in the company's interest to greatly over estimate on projects unless everyone in the industry does this. In a competitive market a company could lose projects because their estimations are not representative of the true value.

Comment

Working...
                X