Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

need info abt driv.license

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • need info abt driv.license

    Hi again,

    i couldn't find any thread about driv. license. so i 'll ask in here then.

    I took my license in dk, and i 've asked the Indonesian embassy, but they couldn't answer it really clear.

    Do i need to take internationelt license first or i need to take a indonesian driver's license , i mean, need take a test at jakarta and go to local police station???


    thx ,Ve
    [COLOR=#1D2129][FONT=helvetica]
    [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#1D2129][FONT=helvetica]The road doesn't go where you planned. It goes where it's written to be[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#1D2129][FONT=helvetica]
    [/FONT][/COLOR]

  • #2
    I have driving licence from UK (non international) and I had to make new driving licence here in Indonesia cat. A (for a car). Some people say they can drive on the international one without problems some people don't want to risk and make a new driving licence here in Indonesia.

    Of course you have to go to police station.... the worst are queues there. One more important thing is to have someone you know well there in Police station on some higher position. It makes a lot of impossible things becoming very easy.

    Comment


    • #3
      Whilst my current RI licence is a few months out of date, I usually make the effort to get a proper licence here, but in point of fact I have found it never makes a blind bit of difference.

      I have presented a UK driver's licence (both current and out of date), an Indonesian licence (ditto) and international driver's licence (ditto lagi) and the policeman has barely glanced at any of them. If you've broken the traffic law, and even if you haven't, just wrap a bank note (if you are a bule it better be of the blue or red variety) around the licence and or STNK and you'll be on your way again in no time. Don't bother arguing, don't worry about the licence, the cop couldn't care less, just pass over the readies and get on with it.

      However if you do want a licence you'll need a KITAS and current driver's licence and go to the police office in Daan Mogot, preferably with an agent (heck, with an agent, you can't do it alone) and you will have your licence in a jiffy.

      Comment


      • #4
        I drove a couple of years on my American driving licence before it expired and at those police stops not one time did the police ever question it. Once when I was stopped a cop asked if I had an international driving licence. I said yes and just gave him my American license and he was ok with that. When that expired all I had was my Chinese drivers licence though they questioned it because of the Chinese but it had English too so they still accepted it. Later I paid some money and got my Indonesian licence. I asked why must I pay money under the table to get a driving license here? The answer was "C'mon this is Indonesia FFS!" hahaha

        When I lived in Australia I got a "international driving licence" from the NRMA for $50 to hire a car in the US. The car rental place didn't know what the hell was the "international driving licence" supposes to be and asked me if I had a driving license. I handed over my Australian license and I was good to go. I asked if I needed this stupid $50 useless piece of paper and they laughed and said no, so I threw it away.

        Comment


        • #5
          I know a couple of expats who drive around with no license, slip Mr Plod a note, and that's that, but should by chance the hit a motor cyclist and cause serious injury or death, slipping a note won't help, so be aware it will cost many notes and some free a lodging at the local nick,
          Regarding the UK international license I had when I first came here was next to useless, when I was stopped by a very smart policeman who gave me a very nice salute, only to be told my license was out of date, sadly the licence only shows start date, not the expiry date, that cost me 50,000rp, no way would he have it it was start date
          Last edited by Anglian; 14-05-16, 16:28.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Anglian View Post
            but should by chance the hit a motor cyclist and cause serious injury or death, slipping a note won't help, so be aware it will cost many notes and some free a lodging at the local nick,
            This would be the case even if you have a brand spanking new Indonesian driver's licence. You pay the bule tax whether you have the correct documentation or not, it's a fact of life.

            Comment


            • #7
              If you are residing in Denmark, and just visiting Indonesia, I think you need to have an international drivers license. You are for sure a better "schooled" driver if you have taken an also much more expensive drivers license in Denmark.

              Many people in Indonesia do neither take a theoretical nor practical test, they basically just pay the fee.

              I was at the police station the other day to get my drivers license. Most of the people who also were there to get their drivers license, came to the police station on their motor bikes. The agent who helped me also asked if I drove their on my motor bike, but no I took a taxi.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by AlexJohn View Post
                This would be the case even if you have a brand spanking new Indonesian driver's licence. You pay the bule tax whether you have the correct documentation or not, it's a fact of life.
                True Alex, it'll cost an arm, no licence arm and a leg

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Kroshka2007 View Post
                  If you are residing in Denmark, and just visiting Indonesia, I think you need to have an international drivers license. You are for sure a better "schooled" driver if you have taken an also much more expensive drivers license in Denmark.

                  Many people in Indonesia do neither take a theoretical nor practical test, they basically just pay the fee.

                  I was at the police station the other day to get my drivers license. Most of the people who also were there to get their drivers license, came to the police station on their motor bikes. The agent who helped me also asked if I drove their on my motor bike, but no I took a taxi.

                  i took my license in Denmark...and yess spent looootsss of money for that for my practical test ... ...

                  I just curious for the exact rules for my topic...because i could not find any law abt it. But actually it was not for me I asked this.. i m not interest at all to drive at Jakarta with all the traffic and the motor bikes....
                  [COLOR=#1D2129][FONT=helvetica]
                  [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#1D2129][FONT=helvetica]The road doesn't go where you planned. It goes where it's written to be[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#1D2129][FONT=helvetica]
                  [/FONT][/COLOR]

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I'm thinking of getting one, incase I ever need to drive.
                    Any agents you guys can reccomend? (PM straight, so we dont derail this thread)
                    Is it expensive?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Not to "derail" this thread but think about this. If one must use an agent to get something so basic as a driving license heaven help someone wanting to set up a company here.

                      Indonesia is ranked 109th in the World Bank Ease of Doing Business Ranking. The number one spot goes to Singapore and Malaysia at 17th which makes sense as even being an official Islamic state they have a Casino.

                      http://www.doingbusiness.org/rankings

                      Well we have a busway...

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I learned to drive on the arcade version of Pole Position. Perfect for Jakarta, or Vietnam where I'm currently out.
                        Sasa Bule is having a bayi!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          [COLOR=#333333]Hi,[/COLOR]
                          [COLOR=#333333]I got Driving Licence (SIM A) last week without any agent. Process is very simple and it took 3 Hours in total.[/COLOR]
                          [COLOR=#333333]Step by Step Guidance as I had followed same without any local help (I dont know Bhasha Indonesia)[/COLOR]
                          [COLOR=#333333]1. Visit SIM Center at Daan Magot.[/COLOR]
                          [COLOR=#333333]2. Before going to main building Pay Rp25,000/- for Medical report (2-3 Mins). Counter is on the left near to parking area.[/COLOR]
                          [COLOR=#333333]3. Enter Main Building and pay Rp 120,000/- for SIM application form at DKI Bank Counter. (2-3 Mins)[/COLOR]
                          [COLOR=#333333]4. Fill in the form (all in Bhasha Indonesia. I took help from the person filling it) (10 Mins)[/COLOR]
                          [COLOR=#333333]5. Go to Counter 19 (Loket 19) for Expats. They will verify documents. (Filled Form, Copy of Kitas, Copy of Passport, Copy of VISA page) (2-3 Mins)[/COLOR]
                          [COLOR=#333333]6. Go to Class 5 (Opposite to BAnk DKI Counter) for theory test. 30 Questions with multiple choices. Easy One. Need minimum 20 marks to clear this test. Else you have to again visit center for Test after 2 weeks. But next time there is no need to pay anything) (15-20 Mins/ Max Time allowed is 30 Mins)[/COLOR]
                          [COLOR=#333333]7. Go to Counter 5 for test results. It usually takes 20-30 Mins. There is a TV outside that counter which screens results of the test. Name will be called, collect your form.[/COLOR]
                          [COLOR=#333333]8. Go to Counter 10/11 for Driving Test. Again you have to fill a form. Just your name and registration no. (2-3 Mins)[/COLOR]
                          [COLOR=#333333]9. Driving test included Parallel Parking, 'L' reverse parking, Zig-Zag Driving (10 pylons placed approx 3 Meters apart in forward and reverse direction), Ramp Test. You cannot hit any pylon else you will be dis-qualified and have to re-appear for Test after 2 weeks). Driving Cars available are Toyota Avanza (Manual and Automatic both) (10-15 Mins)[/COLOR]
                          [COLOR=#333333]10. After passing test go to Counter 12 for Loading test results (2-3 Mins)[/COLOR]
                          [COLOR=#333333]11. Go to Counter 7 for Photogarph and Thumb Scanning. (2-3 Mins)[/COLOR]
                          [COLOR=#333333]12. Go to Collection Center Directly and Collect Driving License.[/COLOR]
                          [COLOR=#333333]Happy Driving.[/COLOR]

                          [COLOR=#333333]Note: Please avoid visiting SIM Center on Firdays. I visited SIM Center on Friday and reached around 10:30 AM. They took Break for Friday Prayers from 11:30 till 13:00. Then also I collected my Licence around 14:30 after going through all processes.
                          Total Money Paid: Rs 145,000/-
                          Agents generally asks for Rp 800,000/-[/COLOR]

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by gaurav.a View Post
                            [COLOR=#333333]Hi,[/COLOR]
                            [COLOR=#333333]I got Driving Licence (SIM A) last week without any agent. Process is very simple and it took 3 Hours in total.[/COLOR]
                            [COLOR=#333333]Step by Step Guidance as I had followed same without any local help (I dont know Bhasha Indonesia)[/COLOR]
                            [COLOR=#333333]1. Visit SIM Center at Daan Magot.[/COLOR]
                            [COLOR=#333333]2. Before going to main building Pay Rp25,000/- for Medical report (2-3 Mins). Counter is on the left near to parking area.[/COLOR]
                            [COLOR=#333333]3. Enter Main Building and pay Rp 120,000/- for SIM application form at DKI Bank Counter. (2-3 Mins)[/COLOR]
                            [COLOR=#333333]4. Fill in the form (all in Bhasha Indonesia. I took help from the person filling it) (10 Mins)[/COLOR]
                            [COLOR=#333333]5. Go to Counter 19 (Loket 19) for Expats. They will verify documents. (Filled Form, Copy of Kitas, Copy of Passport, Copy of VISA page) (2-3 Mins)[/COLOR]
                            [COLOR=#333333]6. Go to Class 5 (Opposite to BAnk DKI Counter) for theory test. 30 Questions with multiple choices. Easy One. Need minimum 20 marks to clear this test. Else you have to again visit center for Test after 2 weeks. But next time there is no need to pay anything) (15-20 Mins/ Max Time allowed is 30 Mins)[/COLOR]
                            [COLOR=#333333]7. Go to Counter 5 for test results. It usually takes 20-30 Mins. There is a TV outside that counter which screens results of the test. Name will be called, collect your form.[/COLOR]
                            [COLOR=#333333]8. Go to Counter 10/11 for Driving Test. Again you have to fill a form. Just your name and registration no. (2-3 Mins)[/COLOR]
                            [COLOR=#333333]9. Driving test included Parallel Parking, 'L' reverse parking, Zig-Zag Driving (10 pylons placed approx 3 Meters apart in forward and reverse direction), Ramp Test. You cannot hit any pylon else you will be dis-qualified and have to re-appear for Test after 2 weeks). Driving Cars available are Toyota Avanza (Manual and Automatic both) (10-15 Mins)[/COLOR]
                            [COLOR=#333333]10. After passing test go to Counter 12 for Loading test results (2-3 Mins)[/COLOR]
                            [COLOR=#333333]11. Go to Counter 7 for Photogarph and Thumb Scanning. (2-3 Mins)[/COLOR]
                            [COLOR=#333333]12. Go to Collection Center Directly and Collect Driving License.[/COLOR]
                            [COLOR=#333333]Happy Driving.[/COLOR]

                            [COLOR=#333333]Note: Please avoid visiting SIM Center on Firdays. I visited SIM Center on Friday and reached around 10:30 AM. They took Break for Friday Prayers from 11:30 till 13:00. Then also I collected my Licence around 14:30 after going through all processes.
                            Total Money Paid: Rs 145,000/-
                            Agents generally asks for Rp 800,000/-[/COLOR]
                            Excellent, well done

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Thanks for the follow up.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X