New to the Game

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the Game

Hi everyone, myself, husband and daughter (6) are looking at moving to Jakarta in a few months from New Zealand.we are currently researching areas to live and schooling etc. We don't need to be near our office as we don't travel daily.
    Schooling seems to be expensive in jarkarta if looking at an international school option, as you can imagine coming from a public system in nz is not expensive. does anyone home school their children? What are some options for us, is it common to get private tutoring? We are looking for a clean, child friendly area, open, parks, sports facilities etc..we both come from sporting backgrounds, and we are the fitness/nutrition Sector. I have just spent the past 4 weeks in Jakarta, so its not going to be totally new, however advice for complete newbies would be much appreciated.

hi kim,

you should check alam sutera, BSD city in tangerang or Sentul city near bogor, most of the houses are in gated compound.
    if you prefer outdoor activity and fresher air, sentul city might be your best bet.
    but those area commute time to jakarta can be long commute. (1.5-2.5 hours.). especially sentul city.

another area to consider is puri indah in west jakarta, its well develop area with some good schools in the area; Springfield, Ipeka International school, Raffles Singapore schools.
    Tuition wise, Springfield and Ipeka is not that expensive compared with international school.

best regards

Comment

Hi Kim,

Welcome to Jakarta. I would suggest you to live in BSD/ Alam Sutra/ Karawaci. those independent cities are not too far from Jakarta, Alam Sutra is very close to west Jakarta which is about 45 minutes. BSD is close to south Jakarta, about 30 minutes (without traffic). Those places offer green area, they also have cycling and running community.

Regarding to the school, there are many international schools that are not as expensive as JIS, BIS, DIS etc. Because most of those school are exclusively for foreigner and most of them are paid by the corporate,(not their own budget). there are school with international system like IB in BSD Alam Sutra and Karawaci, let say : Nanyang Jakarta school is in BSD, Sinar Mas World school is in BSD, Pelita Harapan Int. School in Karawaci. Bina Nusantara school in BSD.

Comment

Sinarmas World Academy in BSD s at least 100 million Rupiah per year per child.

There is the German International School which has an English section as well as German and is much cheaper.

Comment

Hi Kim, I would recommend Karawaci as well. There's a sports club as well as country club, parks, and the streets are pedestrian friendly. I've lived here since high school (went to SPH myself).

Comment

Working...
          X