Booking international flights online

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Booking international flights online

Hey gang, what's your preferred website for booking international flights from Indonesia?

I'm starting to plan my first visit back home to the US (west coast) and was looking at round trip flight prices. In the past, I always used EVA Air since it was the quickest transit time (just one short layover in Taipei) and among the cheapest. However, I was always booking with a departure city in the US as I was coming to Indonesia for holiday, and then last time it was a one-way ticket, again departing from the US. It seems their prices are up to 40-50% higher if you depart from Indonesia than for the same flight in the other direction. I called their customer service line and it doesn't seem to be a currency exchange rate issue (they quoted 1 USD = 13,400 IDR).

I'm now looking at some discount flight booking websites like cheapoair.com, which are priced more reasonably, but it will add at least 20 hours transit time for a round trip. That might be my only option, but I'm curious if you more experienced forum members have better suggestions.

Thanks in advance...

http://www.skyscanner.co.id/?langid=EN

I have found the above to be a good meta-site, which aggregates prices from a variety of other sites.
    This space is available for rent.

Comment

I have also found Skyscanner to be quite good and usually among the cheapest options. Google Flights is also very good.

I've also noticed that for flights going back to the US, Expedia often has good deals. This could be for some reason beyond me or maybe I just got lucky. Anywho, good luck!

Comment

These both may be useful sites but as a matter of interest I just tried them for Townsville to Denpasar and return in May.
        Skyscanner came up with Virgin flights and around $800 plus for the round trip with stop overs going and coming. These stop overs involved flying south for a couple of hours and then flying north again plus transit times and vice versa for the return
        Google offered a round trip with Jetstar and stopovers for about $560.
        Going direct to Jetstar I found direct flights each way for a round trip of about $275.
        So, take nothing for granted.

Comment

I've mention Skyscanner last year, as well as itamatrix.com

Personally, I use airline frequent flyer miles quite often. American Airlines is one of the best, as they allow free changes (as long as your origination/destination cities stay the same). I changed flights in January 3-4 times, with no change fees.

They even have good redemptions in biz and first flights. I prefer Cathay or JAL. Rates will be increasing drastically on March 22nd, but you can lock in awards up to 330 days in advance. You do have to call in for Cathay and JAL tickets, as they don't show on their website for awards. Check close in, under 2 weeks when the partners release last minute awards.

UA, AA, DL and EY have been having some fare wars the last 6 months. Only search from DPS and CGK, though.
          Sasa Bule is having a bayi!

Comment

I have found that flights originating in Denpasar are always more expensive than exactly the same flights but originating in Brisbane & Jetstar's site recognizes where I am & will only let me book the more expensive rupiah flights…..so what I do is find the Jetstar flights I want originating in Brisbane & then contact Flight Centre (by email) for bookings who always beat Jetstar's own online prices anyway The latest flights I have are Denpasar to Brisbane & return direct flights all up with checked baggage, $445
            Last edited by macvert; 02-03-16, 15:37.
            The answer is 42 .... any questions? .

Comment

I used Expedia to look as they also have links to other websites like Travelocity, Kayak, etc... so you can compare.

I also check the actual airlines just in case they have it cheaper. Traveling from Dallas and return, I used American(the Tokyo leg) and JAL(AA partner to and from Jakarta).

Another thing I look at is how the transit airport in case of deal or a long lay over.
              Lucky 13

Comment

Thanks for the all the suggestions. The more options you have, the better you can recognize a good deal when you find it, which is exactly what happened.

I actually found a great deal for a round trip flight back home originating in Seoul, so I decided to go for that and will be visiting an old friend and a new country for a few days on my way home. I found that deal on cheapoair.com, and it was $650... It actually seems to be a promotion with United Airlines right now, but it was a little cheaper through the 3rd party. My friend told me it's about half the typical price, and that seemed to be true from searching on various sites.

I then found another deal for round trip direct flights between JKT and Seoul on Skyscanner. That one appears to again be an airline promotion with Garuda, and I decided to purchase directly from the airline for $460. By the way there were much cheaper options on Skyscanner using AirAsia (for me, I hate that airline, but I begrudgingly use them from time to time) if you don't mind a long layover in KL. You can go to South Korea for under $200 round trip, wow...

FYI.... If I had wanted, I could have booked a trip that would only involve a short layover in Seoul, but I decided to do it this way. However.... None of the sites I visited could find a combination of these flights for a single round trip purchase from JKT to the US.. Somehow they miss it. So it definitely pays to do your own extensive searching. In total, I'm paying about $100 less than the cheapest option I could find before, and even $200-400 cheaper than the cheapest options on many of the flight booking websites now. Thanks for encouraging me to do my homework, EVA Air! Stop ripping off Indonesians!

*Note: My dollar figures are USD. Should have specified...
                Last edited by jason206; 04-03-16, 12:04.

Comment

Originally posted by jason206 View Post
                  Thanks for the all the suggestions. The more options you have, the better you can recognize a good deal when you find it, which is exactly what happened.

I actually found a great deal for a round trip flight back home originating in Seoul, so I decided to go for that and will be visiting an old friend and a new country for a few days on my way home. I found that deal on cheapoair.com, and it was $650... It actually seems to be a promotion with United Airlines right now, but it was a little cheaper through the 3rd party. My friend told me it's about half the typical price, and that seemed to be true from searching on various sites.

I then found another deal for round trip direct flights between JKT and Seoul on Skyscanner. That one appears to again be an airline promotion with Garuda, and I decided to purchase directly from the airline for $460. By the way there were much cheaper options on Skyscanner using AirAsia (for me, I hate that airline, but I begrudgingly use them from time to time) if you don't mind a long layover in KL. You can go to South Korea for under $200 round trip, wow...

FYI.... If I had wanted, I could have booked a trip that would only involve a short layover in Seoul, but I decided to do it this way. However.... None of the sites I visited could find a combination of these flights for a single round trip purchase from JKT to the US.. Somehow they miss it. So it definitely pays to do your own extensive searching. In total, I'm paying about $100 less than the cheapest option I could find before, and even $200-400 cheaper than the cheapest options on many of the flight booking websites now. Thanks for encouraging me to do my homework, EVA Air! Stop ripping off Indonesians!

*Note: My dollar figures are USD. Should have specified...
                  I wouldn't book a trip like this for a few reasons. First, if you run into technical problems on any one flight, they won't usually protect you on a different ticket. If things go bad, this could cost hundreds.

You also run into luggage issues. Some airlines won't through check luggage on different airlines and tickets.

There are always ways to find all legs on one ticket.

Comment

Originally posted by jason206 View Post
                    Hey gang, what's your preferred website for booking international flights from Indonesia?
                    I usually check wego.com prior, but I always find it cheaper booking international flight through travel agent. If you haven't booked yet, ask & compare what they can offer you. Unfortunately I don't know any good travel agent in Bandung

Comment

Originally posted by Jaime C View Post
                      I wouldn't book a trip like this for a few reasons. First, if you run into technical problems on any one flight, they won't usually protect you on a different ticket. If things go bad, this could cost hundreds.

You also run into luggage issues. Some airlines won't through check luggage on different airlines and tickets.

There are always ways to find all legs on one ticket.
                      Good points. I didn't even think about it, but luckily I'll be staying at least one day in Seoul for both my departure and return trips. I also generally don't check luggage as I can usually get away with a decent sized backpack in the overhead. Hopefully I'll be fine, as long as there's not a 20-hour delay on the way back.

For future reference, what are these ways you speak of? It would have been much easier to book these flights all together.

Comment

You can try booking the ticket as multicity. So if you know the cities, you can often do CGK-ICN-LAX, and the OTA will combine into one ticket. This isn't 100%, but often works. If you pm your dates and cities, I can often find something interesting.

Comment

Jaime, that's a really kind offer. I appreciate it...

Comment

Following this thread for my possible trip in May to PDX...

Jaime, what do you mean by rates will be increasing in March? Is it just overall increase, or just increase with Cathay/Jal?

Comment

Originally posted by Banana72 View Post
                              Following this thread for my possible trip in May to PDX...

Jaime, what do you mean by rates will be increasing in March? Is it just overall increase, or just increase with Cathay/Jal?
                              The award rates for using American Airlines is increasing on March 22nd. Rates for American and partners are going up, especially for Business and First class awards.

Right now, a round trip Asia-US in First class costs 135,000 miles. On March 22nd, it will cost 220,000. Business class is now 110,000 round trip going up to 140,000. Economy is going up 5,000 miles round trip.

You can book now for dates up to 330 days in advance, and still use the old, lower, rates.

Comment

Working...
                              X