Announcement

Collapse

Expat Forum Moving Hosting

We have moved the Expat Forum to a new server in late March. You'll notice some changes due to upgrades we've made in the vBulletin software.

If you have questions, please email me at [email protected].

wm
See more
See less

How to get rid of termites please? any advices?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get rid of termites please? any advices?

We have a beautiful veranda made from old recycling plows and sometimes we have had termites, my husband put some "minyak" and he seems happy with that until the next time when he put again minyak, I always get stress about this and about he doesn´t seen too worry to much or trying to find a long time solution, so we have again termites on the plows.
    We had a beautiful old traditional window (it was already partially broken but was nice) on the gudang on the garden in 2007, do you know what? it disappeared already two years ago, guess how!!!.............and he doesn´t really care much about this...........I am the one who really worry.
    The frames of some windows as well are recycling wood and I see sometimes in one of the windows the brown powder on the bottom of the window, is that a sign of termites as well?
    If I leave it to him probably we will no have house or at least veranda in a few years.
    Please could anybody advice me what kind of products you use in Indonesia for these things? asam borat?
    Terimakasi banyak
    Overcoming poverty is no a gesture of charity is an act of justice the protection of a fundamental human right to dignity..

Bayer Premise against rayap.

But very expensive if you need larger amounts. There are specialized companies here as well.
    [FONT=arial black]
    [/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Shinta View Post
      The frames of some windows as well are recycling wood and I see sometimes in one of the windows the brown powder on the bottom of the window, is that a sign of termites as well?
      The brown powder you mention, "frass", can be a sign of termite infestation, but also several other insects that eat timber, e.g. borers.

Asam borate is fine for ants, but is not commonly used for termites (as far as I know). The Bayer Premise suggested by jstar seems a popular option, the active ingredient is Imidacloprid. Some of the more powerful options get quite toxic (and stay toxic for a long time), so calling a pest treatment company is not a bad idea.
      Sometimes I feel I must be lexdysic.

Comment

Once you have the termites under control (as above),
        Do not have wood laying around or under buildings
        Do not to have gardens (dirt) built up against walls of buildings or around deck posts
        Periodically clean dirt & leaves etc. from around wall & post bases & inspect for termite tunnels
        The answer is 42 .... any questions? .

Comment

Originally posted by jstar View Post
          Bayer Premise against rayap.

But very expensive if you need larger amounts. There are specialized companies here as well.
          Thanks to all of the advices, jstar, where I can find the Bayer Premise? toko bangunan? hopefully I don´t need a lot now!!!
          Overcoming poverty is no a gesture of charity is an act of justice the protection of a fundamental human right to dignity..

Comment

I was quite shock as well because I even found out termites on the tree trunk of a pohon sandat and in a old frangipani tree!!!! I don´t know why, but I always though that termites were always in cut woods like furniture, walls............ not in living trees!!! poor trees.............I feel so sorry for them...........

Comment

Those trees could hold the main termite nests in which case they can be drilled & pressure pumped with termite poison .... but that is an expensive procedure & often not required unless the trees are very close to the house ...... as long as the termites are isolated away from the house they are not a real problem
              Last edited by macvert; 26-11-14, 22:54.
              The answer is 42 .... any questions? .

Comment

Originally posted by Shinta View Post
                We have a beautiful veranda made from old recycling plows and sometimes we have had termites, my husband put some "minyak" and he seems happy with that until the next time when he put again minyak, I always get stress about this and about he doesn´t seen too worry to much or trying to find a long time solution, so we have again termites on the plows.
                We had a beautiful old traditional window (it was already partially broken but was nice) on the gudang on the garden in 2007, do you know what? it disappeared already two years ago, guess how!!!.............and he doesn´t really care much about this...........I am the one who really worry.
                If I leave it to him probably we will no have house or at least veranda in a few years.
                Please could anybody advice me what kind of products you use in Indonesia for these things? asam borat?
                Terimakasi banyak
                Shinta, what kind of "minyak" your husband use? Wood varnish? woodstain?

Bayer premise (termites poision) is good, but very expensive and can be hard to get.

The most common wood presevation method in Indonesia is to use "teer", its basically the left over from ground charcoal mixed with some oil. Its a thick black liquid, which is very good for preserving wood againts termites. You can paint your underside of veranda using "teer" and also where the house make contact with dirt.

The downside, is the color is black, and the first couple days can be quite smelly. You can repaint on the top after the mixture dried up.

Comment

The Beyer Premise used to be available through Ace Hardware, but I haven't seen it there in a while. That stuff is magic.

Black tarry stuff mentioned in the post above also works, but as advertised, including horrible smell.

Comment

The two places below are selling (actually, there are lots- Google:bayer premise rp). But, I have to say that I don't remember that red bottle in some of the photos (cheaper price). I do distinctly remember the blue bottle. IT may be a difference in qty, or maybe they changed the packaging (think it's been a couple of years since I bought it) Anyone able to confirm the packaging on these sites? (be a shame for the OP to buy something available at the toko besih but relabeled Premise)

http://winamulyolestari.blogspot.com...se-200-sl.html

http://joas-duma.blogspot.com/2013/0...nti-rayap.html

Comment

The one with the red lid on the left is the one against rayap, sold at ACE. The blue one could be against ants (kemut). But I do remember there were two at different prices.
                      [FONT=arial black]
                      [/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by jstar View Post
                        The one with the red lid on the left is the one sold at ACE. The blue one could be against ants (kemut).
                        Huh, I remembered differently. The father-in-law bought large bottles for the Farm (couple of cases), they were the blue ones, for sure, and anti-rayap. His supplier has since disappeared, I only bought a small bottle for the house at Ace. I gave that small bottle to a worker to spray with. I don't remember/didn't see the red packaging, but my memory is for shit. I'm betting on the quantity being the difference, maybe with the small, red, bottles being repackaged by a distributor.

Comment

On a side note, both ants and cockroaches almost completely disappeared from my house (quite an accomplishment, as there is a large portion of the house that is constantly open to the outdoors and I live near the market)

Comment

Your wish is our command. These I bought at a local ACE last week. The one on the right is very good against ants btw; it's a borax powder, easy to apply.

[FONT=arial black]
                            [/FONT]

Comment

@jstar
                              You are a champion! (which Ace?)

Comment

Working...
                              X