Tick problem!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tick problem!

Can anyone advise me on how to deal with ticks around here? They seem to be everywhere and millions. Just applied tick medicine on my dog but it doesn't work, maybe because it was bought in Europe and local ticks need something else. Every day I pick up around 10-20, it is terrible not to say worse. Any suggestions on a local product or some other solutions? I live in Surabaya but that should not change the situation as the country stays the same.

Originally posted by valters_v View Post
    Can anyone advise me on how to deal with ticks around here? They seem to be everywhere and millions. Just applied tick medicine on my dog but it doesn't work, maybe because it was bought in Europe and local ticks need something else. Every day I pick up around 10-20, it is terrible not to say worse. Any suggestions on a local product or some other solutions? I live in Surabaya but that should not change the situation as the country stays the same.
    Cattle ticks (big and grey) or scrub ticks (smaller and black?

Comment

I use front line for my puppy. The price is about 85-90k.
      Lost in Jakarta's trafic jam

Comment

Oh and you should put it into water after you find it. They will swim for a while and then die

Comment

I mean the ticks, not the puppy ofc

Comment

Ah i remember to be having the same problem here before... whether its europe or local dont seem to work for my pet... so i eventually use a certain medicine that needed to be sprayed all around the house and yard (i forgot what was the name of the medicine)... i ended up "tick free" for 6 months... ...well afterwards i only use some local anti-tick-powder while "caring" the monster daily... i call it the mongkey solution...

note : to make it fun, i collect the flea's at a tissue and burn it... its so nice to hear the sound of "cattle tick" pop's..."poof"...
            10 step to eternity...

Comment

What if the ticks are water ticks? O-O
              Aloft! Me hearties! Harharhar!

Comment

Small, brown, sometimes black. I also used frontline but it did not work, that's why looking for other solutions. The dog roughly around 40kg.

Comment

Omg, what kind of dog is he? Can i see his pic? Chubby puppy.
                  If the ticks are massive, you can use frontline once a week and then reduce it gradually

Comment

But ticks are cute D:

Ticks + Puppy = Double cutenezz
                    Aloft! Me hearties! Harharhar!

Comment

Originally posted by valters_v View Post
                      Small, brown, sometimes black. I also used frontline but it did not work, that's why looking for other solutions. The dog roughly around 40kg.
                      This article is good. You need to know what type of tick it is before you act. And find out where the ticks are coming from. Good luck.

http://www.dogslife.com.au/dog-news/...-ticks-on-dogs

Comment

thank you so much for the help

Comment

Frontline is the simplest solution. Dramatic difference on our dog last year. We used it monthly, now only every 3 months (basic maintenance).

Pet shops like Groovy in Jakarta can also sell you a chemical to put around your house where the dog was laying to kill eggs. It is cheap, but we decided not to try it and apparently don't have tick eggs (or the ants ate them for us).

Crush the tick after removal. Look carefully before removal -- often there is a tiny male next to a bloated female. People who pull off only the female and later discover the male in the same spot spread rumors that "the head stays inside the dog when you pull the body off!" -- never true in our experience of pulling dozens of ticks off the dog during the weeks before we chose Frontline (instead of herbal treatments, which work for 24 hours).

Comment

I think you're talking about kutu loncat. I came down here for a 2 month trip for the first time in a while with my (then) 14 month old and discovered we were being bit by bed bugs and jumping fleas (kutu loncat) when she and I were covered in stinging itchy bites that wouldn't go away. She and I checked our bodies for any hitchhikers, left our things at my Dad's place where the infestation was occuring, called Rentokil who recommended cold fogging 1x a week for 4 weeks.

I assume yours might not be as serious a case, in which case traditionally locals (including the Rentokil rep) recommend frequent exposure to the sun's heat and UV rays for affected pets and items, which these kutu loncat don't seem to like. Check your closets and do the same with all your things as a majority of mine were living in old clothing that had been left here for years.

To check for remaining fleas or discover the extent of your infestation, try the water test (google it). Unfortunately this doesn't work with bed bugs (kutu busuk/bangsat) but it doesn't sound like you're dealing with that at all.

Comment

That sounds like useful advice for fleas, but I'm not sure why you concluded OP was talking about them instead of ticks. Yes, you can pull off 10 or more TICKS a day if your dog lays around a relatively "wild" backyard or hangs out in vegetation when going for a walk. That was our experience.

Fleas are much smaller and nits/lice are smaller still.

Comment

Working...
                              X