Announcement

Collapse

Expat Forum Moving Hosting

We have moved the Expat Forum to a new server in late March. You'll notice some changes due to upgrades we've made in the vBulletin software.

If you have questions, please email me at [email protected].

wm
See more
See less

Surfing Lesson

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surfing Lesson

Hi All,
    I will be going on holidays soon , and I wish to Learn Basic Level surfing Can someone recommend me a good surfing school in Indonesia which is not so expensive

thanks
    Maanz

Where are you going? If you're in Jakarta, I have friends in Pangandaran Beach who are great instructors. It's 200,000 IDR per person. They have soft-tops which are easy to learn on. If you do find a surfing school, make sure you rent a soft-top board. Very easy to learn on. Generally speaking, a longer board floats better, so don't be intimidated with a 9 foot board.

If you do go to Pangandaran, my friend Ipin owns a shop called Pangandaran Surf / Kodel's Surf Shop that's right on the beach. If you still can't find it, ask any of the Ojek people where Mini Tiga is and the staff there will help you find a good instructor. I'd give you the website, but I worry that I might be violating forum rules and advertising a business I'm affiliated with. FYI - I make no money; Karma credits only.

Comment

Anyone else think 200k is expensive for surf lessons ?

If you going to Bali, I can recommend someone highly, but also 200k and yes, that is expensive in my books.

Comment

Originally posted by samsiam View Post
        Anyone else think 200k is expensive for surf lessons ?

If you going to Bali, I can recommend someone highly, but also 200k and yes, that is expensive in my books.
        Rp 200 ribu doesn't seem expensive at all. it's is less then 17 dollars US.
        [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]Some love to milk Apostate.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by fastpitch17 View Post
          Rp 200 ribu doesn't seem expensive at all. it's is less then 17 dollars US.
          Thats right...$17 an hour

whats minimum wages in the US and OZ these days ?

Comment

Surfing lessons are a fairly recent thing that came about maybe in the late 90s. For the 40-50 years before that you just learnt by grabbing a board and having a go. Years ago people who got into surfing grew up near the beach and started out body surfing, then maybe progressed, to body boarding, then move onto a surfboard. All the while building up knowledge of the ocean and an ability to survive out there. Somewhere things went crazy through hype from the surf industry, surfing exploded and schools popped up everywhere. People with very limited swimming/ocean skills thought you just need to take a lesson like tennis. Unfortunately the ocean is not like a tennis court. Serious things can and do go wrong....

I would advise before you even think about jumping on a surfboard in Indonesia, or anywhere else in the world to ask yourself, can I swim a kilometre in raging surf if you lose your board? Start by finding an olympic swimming pool and do laps - build up to a kilometre non stop. Then try body surfing - actually catch and ride a wave with your body only. This will help you learn to read waves, currents, rips and build up upper body strength which is needed for surfing.

The so called surf instructors i have seen in Indonesia are the cause of a lot of uneccesary drownings. They are surf board hire operations out for a quick buck with no duty of care to the people they are instructing, or the people in the water who are injured by there "students", and definitely no insurance or liability of any kind. I most definitely would not advise going surfing at a place like Pangandaran for lessons. That place is treacherous, even for experienced surfers (surfs not very good either). If you do go there, pay a visit to the lifeguards and head up towards the peninsular where the surf is smaller. I know that at least at Pangandaran they have trained lifegaurds who were affiliated and trained by the Australian lifesaving association. A better place to learn would be around the bay at Batu Keras, about an hour from pangandaran
            If you consider the whole of Indonesia, there are few places that are suitable for beginners because there is generally no rescue service, limited patrolled beaches - so if you get into trouble your pretty much on your own.

hope this helps lol

Comment

We spent a week at Batu Keras...great spot.

Also in Bali now we have a really good teacher, teaches the whole concept, not just on the board and go.

But still...200k and hour ?

Doubt this guy could swim a kilometre if he lost his board...or landed on it and broke it...

Last edited by samsiam; 20-01-14, 08:28.

Comment

Thats right...$17 an hour

whats minimum wages in the US and OZ these days ?
                About $17

Comment

We spent a week at Batu Keras...great spot.

Also in Bali now we have a really good teacher, teaches the whole concept, not just on the board and go.

But still...200k and hour ?

Doubt this guy could swim a kilometre if he lost his board...or landed on it and broke it...

His name is Jimbo pellegrine
                  read about him here. http://chubstr.com/2011/features/jim...guys-can-surf/
                  He surfs uluwatu very well, I have met him before out at Uluwatu over the years. If you read his interview - it proves my point about how surfing used to learnt. He started when he was 4 years old a life lived in/near the ocean. pretty sure he could still swim 1km easy If your surfing lessons got you half as good at surfing as Jimbo - i'd say money well spent. Hes now running a surf camp for beginners in Lombok - look him up.....thats the kind of guy you could learn from. And yes 200k is very cheap- surf lessons in Australia seem to be in the $100+ an hour range for a one-on-one lesson..
                  cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Flynn View Post
                    His name is Jimbo pellegrine
                    read about him here. http://chubstr.com/2011/features/jim...guys-can-surf/
                    He surfs uluwatu very well, I have met him before out at Uluwatu over the years. If you read his interview - it proves my point about how surfing used to learnt. He started when he was 4 years old a life lived in/near the ocean. pretty sure he could still swim 1km easy If your surfing lessons got you half as good at surfing as Jimbo - i'd say money well spent. Hes now running a surf camp for beginners in Lombok - look him up.....thats the kind of guy you could learn from. And yes 200k is very cheap- surf lessons in Australia seem to be in the $100+ an hour range for a one-on-one lesson..
                    cheers
                    Thanks...shall look him up over there.

But...it is pointless comparing Western and Local pricings, just not relevant....how much does a maid cost in Oz, how much one here ?

minimum wage in Oz should be way above same same here.

200k an hour is expensive...no matter what...for here.

Comment

I saw a guy learning to surf at Kuta, sure he was teaching himself
                      He was being smashed about sideways on 1 foot foamies & was wearing those squared off nylon swimmers & his spectacles.
                      I just couldn't see where he stashed the instruction book .... maybe in a secret compartment from where he would retrieve it once he got past the breakers ..... looked like the same guy I saw sunbaking in his facemask & flippers at Ulu's .... lol

Ya .... 200k is expensive I reckon too
                      The answer is 42 .... any questions? .

Comment

But...it is pointless comparing Western and Local pricings, just not relevant....how much does a maid cost in Oz, how much one here ?

minimum wage in Oz should be way above same same here.

200k an hour is expensive...no matter what...for here.
                        Theres a thing called percentages...its totally not pointless to compare countries expenses.
                        http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living...try2=Australia

so based on the info here...
                        [FONT=Arial]Monthly Australian disposable salary (after tax) 45,078,130.29 Rp - $200 for a surf lesson is 6% of your disposable salary[/FONT]
                        [FONT=Arial]
                        [/FONT]
                        [FONT=Arial]Monthly Indonesian disposable salary (after tax) 3,546,906.78 Rp[/FONT]
                        [FONT=Arial]rp200K for a surf lesson that about 5.6% of your average disposable salary

200k seems exactly the price that they are charging in Oz...all things considered[/FONT]

Comment

....how much does a maid cost in Oz, how much one here ?
                          Thats an interesting question. Lower and middle class Australian families do not employ maids, Noone I know/knew could afford them. I'd say definitely in the wealthy elite circles it may be different. I wouldn't say I was a pauper when I was working in Australia ( I earnt $80000 a yeari, but I reckon you would have to pay AUD $40 000 a year minimum - we could not afford that.

Also having a maid would seem weird to my wife and I. Now that we are living in Indonesia and can afford a maid - we still don't won't one. We're more than happy to cook, clean, mow the lawn and do home maintainance...a bit of hard work never hurt anyone. I employ our neighbours kids to do the rubbish and a few odd jobs - just to give them some pocket money.
                          cheers

Comment

I find HyperOutdoor brand here for surfing act because it?s not very easy to communicate with your skills when you are surfing. Well if you really wanted to get better lesson then I wanted to tell you about HyperOutdoor because it?s the perfect website I?ve ever seen about lessons of Surfing and stuff. I hope that you can find any positivity in my comment and explore #HyperOutdoor brand because it?s really very good and you will better give me best wishes for sure after visiting this website.

Comment

Working...
                            X