Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are Indonesians so clueless about the environment... disposing of ones rubbish

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bench View Post
    [COLOR=#323333][FONT=Arial]Regarding waste to energy, a few pertinent excerpts from [/FONT][/COLOR]http://www.no-burn.org/article.php?id=322)
    [COLOR=#323333][FONT=Arial]
    'There is however the idea that waste has more economic value and a lighter impact on climate change when reused, recycled or composted, than when incinerated or placed in a landfill. Burning valuable materials that could be recycled wastes the life cycle energy of products to produce a small amount of energy.'
    [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#323333][FONT=Arial]
    'The EPA largely agrees with this assessment and advocates a ranking of waste management practices. Reducing the need for new materials should be the top priority, followed by reuse, recycling, waste-to-energy incineration, and placement in a landfill, it says.'[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#323333][FONT=Arial]
    'Advocates say waste-to-energy plants reduce recycling rates because recycling facilities and incinerators compete to use the same waste. [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#323333][FONT=Arial]By recycling materials, you conserve three to five times more energy than is generated by incinerating them.' And its not as if the world has an inexhaustible supply of raw materials that we can just burn them after use.

Plus of course we would be relying on the owners and operators of these plants to firstly install the costly scrubbers/after-burners/what have you, and maintain them so harmful, carcinogenic dioxins do not enter the atmosphere. I suppose I don't know enough about waste-to-energy to really know in what circumstances it can work, and whether Jakarta/Indonesia presents such a context.

I mentioned before in a previous post that I was to visit the Jakarta Green Project. That was on Monday - I found out that they are desperate for new homes, businesses, apartments to come and collect recycling from (they just had to end a relationship with one building as the client consistently failed to separate organics out of the bins). They are also introducing a fee of Rp 50,000-100,000 per month for a weekly pick up to ensure the operation is sustainable and the workers (ex-street children) receive a living wage. Actually, I've offered to help redesign the website, so if anyone knows of a web design/marketing company that is looking to engage in some pro bono work (don't everyone rush at once!) then please let me know.

Progress will come slowly but not at all if individual behaviour does not change also - which I believe involves leading by example, taking a stand and encouraging others to alter their habits when circumstances arise, and general persistence. Saying that, I've been haranguing our building manager to instigate wider waste separation at our complex, and he has just emailed to say the Director has agreed to meet with us. Perhaps it is simply to placate me, but I will be a perpetual thorn in their side until I see something positive happen :-)[/FONT][/COLOR]

This is the most sensible reply to my thread. Thanks again for your opinion on this matter.

Comment

And they could use some help understanding the value of recycling humans too.

http://www.watoday.com.au/nsw/six-fa...17-12sezd.html

"Asked if the executions would deter drug smuggling, Mr Prasetyo said: "Even with the executions we are still in an emergency statewide against drugs. Imagine if we didn't execute people." .... Yes, imagine if you questioned your holding such infantile reasoning for killing people. You might avoid the environmental catastrophe of foreigners being unable to distinguish you from trash.

Comment

Whoever you are wherever you are, please CARRY YOUR RUBBISH. I went to Sempu Island south of Malang and there is nothing there aside from nature. At least, that's how it should be, as it is a few hours hike to get to the beach for camping. To my surprise, there is trash littered everywhere. Part of this is due to monkeys taking things into the jungle, but mostly we can only blame ourselves. Hiking back to Sendang Biru to go home, I packed out about 30 plastic water bottles that were left along the trail, as that was all I could carry. "Be the change you want to see in the world." - Gandhi

Comment

Yup, thats why we, Indonesians, need "Mental Revolution".

I dont litter around myself, but ive seen the sad view almost everyday it becomes an anomie hence if i remind someone i see on the street littering it makes me the bad one. So i better just ignore them.

Comment

Working...
          X