Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Choosing between universities in Java...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choosing between universities in Java...

Hey everybody,

I want to ask you for some advice and information.
    My name is Irthe, I’m 18 years old and I’m a second-year Law student at the University of Utrecht (The Netherlands)
    Last two year I’ve been travelling through Indonesia. Last summer I’ve been backpacking by myself for two months and I visited Jakarta (Java), Makassar (Sulawesi), Banjarmasin (South- Kalimantan), Bali and Lombok. In the summer of 2011, I wasn’t travelling alone but with my family. We went to Java and Bali and we also visited places like Yogyakarta and Malang.
    I’m already studying Bahasa Indonesia for one year now, so I can communicate in Indonesia quite well. I just have one big wish for already a long time: I want to study in Indonesia.

My university has exchange contacts with the following universities in Java:
    - Universitas Indonesia (in Depok, Jakarta)
    - Universitas Gadjah Mada (Yogyakarta)
    - Universitas Padjajaran (Bandung)
    - Universitas Airlangga (Surabaya)

So now I have to choose between these four universities. Do you know these universities and can you give me some information about the universities and tell me something about your experiences? I would also like to know what are the specific differences between these universities and which city is nice to live in as a student. I have never been in Bandung and Surabaya before….. I would like to know which of the four universities you suggest and why.
    I’m looking for different visions so I can make a good choice in the end.
    Thank you.

Irthe

Irthe - the link below is to an Australian exchange program website. There's information on accommodation choices near Gadjah Mada and there may be other useful stuff if you browse the rest of the site. Good luck.

http://www.acicis.murdoch.edu.au/hi/accomm.html
    Last edited by john madden; 28-09-12, 19:41.

Comment

-UI (Depok) : top university in Indonesia, depok is nice place but still hot like jakarta, some spot has jam & crowded, the famous major (the big one) is economic, near to jakarta (around 1.5 hours by car / 30 minutes by commuter line train).

-UGM (Yogya) : 5 best of the best university in Indonesia, yogya is nice cultural city in java, many students from others countries studying here, the peoples are friendly, the atsmosfer of the city is very nice (top travelling destination), law is the famous major here.

-UNPAD (Bandung) : great university, nice city for travelling destination & culinary, around 3 hours by car to jakarta, bandung is "paris van java" because the city have beautiful scenery, sometime has cool weather (25-28 deg Celcius).

-UNAIR (Surabaya) : great university in east of indonesia, medical is biggest major here, very hot city but hopely now the city have many city park..so can reduced the hot weather, the peoples are nice & simple.

Irthe, from my side, for studying bahasa indonesia..better you choose bandung or yogya..

IMHO

have nice "new adventure" in indonesia

Comment

@Fazklin
        Thank you for you reaction! Why would you suggest to study in Yogya or Bandung? Because you say the university in Jakarta is the top university of Indonesia. Because of the atmosphere, the scenery, student life or the university itself?
        I'm still confused because I know Yogya because I've been there before, but I've never been to Bandung so... it's hard for me to make a choice.

Every information is welcome !!

Comment

Does any of the four Uni's mentioned, have a better reputation in its Law department and quality of alumni? As in the US? Or is it more like in most parts Europe where this does not play such a huge role (well, more on law and medical schools)? Could be an important selection criteria.

Will be interesting to see what the preferences and recommendations of our local members is on location and college. Heard some positive things on Bandung as student city btw.

Many Indonesians I know did study in Australia, Singapore or the US. So did everybody here (dream of) study(ing) abroad? You would think so when you see ARWU: http://www.arwu.org/ARWU2010.jsp
          There you don't see any listing of Indonesian universities; it's obvious also in that area Indonesia is a rather closed country (cf. the thread on student visa and internship). Any chance you can get in touch with some Indonesian students who are in The Netherlands for this exchange program? They might also have some valuable experience.

Hope you get a lot of feedback Irthe.
          [FONT=arial black]
          [/FONT]

Comment

It's subjective, I love and enjoyed the ambient of Yogyakarta - and the and bad thing I spent more time there than supposed to be.
            Although I am not from Law but I agree UGM Law faculty is very strong and well recognized.
            I can't compare with other universities, since that's the only one I was.

I have no problem and will support if my daughter want to study in UGM - unfortunately she does not want

Comment

Thank you very much!
              You have been to UGM too? What does make Yogyakarta a nice place for foreigner students compared to Bandung?

Comment

irthe..it was just from my perspective, but no doubt that UI was the best one..as we knew, studying is not just study..we need socialized..enjoy the ambient..feel around etc..
                but all is up to you, once again, it's only from my side..if you want really know you can compare with others or feel it self..

fazklin@yahoo.com

Comment

Originally posted by fazklin View Post
                  irthe..it was just from my perspective, but no doubt that UI was the best one..as we knew, studying is not just study..we need socialized..enjoy the ambient..feel around etc..
                  but all is up to you, once again, it's only from my side..if you want really know you can compare with others or feel it self..

fazklin@yahoo.com
                  Fazklin, I know thank you. I was just wondering about your motivation and arguments.

Comment

Bandung is known as the university city.
                    I guess it has that title for a reason.
                    Cicak Magnet

Comment

I live in Bandung and know well the location of Universitas Padjajaran (Jalan Dipati Ukur) , but I don't know about its quality . Their buildings , looking from outside , don't look nice . But the place is very accessible by public mini-buses , and near all the essential services (banks , supermarkets , ..) .
                      I think that a big advantage of Bandung is its weather temperature , around 3 degrees Celsius less than the other cities .

Comment

Originally posted by Irthe View Post
                        Thank you very much!
                        You have been to UGM too? What does make Yogyakarta a nice place for foreigner students compared to Bandung?
                        Is not without reason if Yogyakarta is recognized is a student city. I don't have statistic, but most of the population is dominantly student.
                        UGM itself is the biggest university in Indonesia plus others private ones.
                        The living cost in Yogya is the lowest in Indonesia, but the longest expected life.
                        The life style is more relaxing and slow compared the other city.
                        The distance between places is relatively short, motorcycle and public bus is common transportaion for student, though you can find many still using bicycles.
                        Another plus point if you're interested with social, art and cultures

Comment

So nobody studied in Bandung? And no Jakarta fans? Hmm.
                          [FONT=arial black]
                          [/FONT]

Comment

I studied in Bandung.... sort of.
                            Cicak Magnet

Comment

Originally posted by Irthe View Post
                              Hey everybody,

I want to ask you for some advice and information.
                              My name is Irthe, I’m 18 years old and I’m a second-year Law student at the University of Utrecht (The Netherlands)
                              Last two year I’ve been travelling through Indonesia. Last summer I’ve been backpacking by myself for two months and I visited Jakarta (Java), Makassar (Sulawesi), Banjarmasin (South- Kalimantan), Bali and Lombok. In the summer of 2011, I wasn’t travelling alone but with my family. We went to Java and Bali and we also visited places like Yogyakarta and Malang.
                              I’m already studying Bahasa Indonesia for one year now, so I can communicate in Indonesia quite well. I just have one big wish for already a long time: I want to study in Indonesia.

My university has exchange contacts with the following universities in Java:
                              - Universitas Indonesia (in Depok, Jakarta)
                              - Universitas Gadjah Mada (Yogyakarta)
                              - Universitas Padjajaran (Bandung)
                              - Universitas Airlangga (Surabaya)

So now I have to choose between these four universities. Do you know these universities and can you give me some information about the universities and tell me something about your experiences? I would also like to know what are the specific differences between these universities and which city is nice to live in as a student. I have never been in Bandung and Surabaya before….. I would like to know which of the four universities you suggest and why.
                              I’m looking for different visions so I can make a good choice in the end.
                              Thank you.

Irthe
                              Hi Irthe.. In my opinion, if you want to study Bahasa Indonesia, UGM will be the best choice among the four universities.

I, myself graduated from Linguistics, Airlangga University (Surabaya). Each year, there are many foreigner students who study in my uni and another uni (mostly they got Darmasiswa scholarship). But if you want to study bahasa, I think UGM is the best choice among all. Some of famous linguistic professors teach there. And since you asked about a city which is nice to live in as a student, Yogyakarta is a good choice. You can find a lot of universities and students (even foreigner students) there, that's why it's called as Kota Pelajar (Student city).
                              [COLOR=SeaGreen][FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode]Love doesn't hurt, loving the wrong person does.[/FONT][/COLOR]..

Comment

Working...
                              X