Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If packing and moving costs were not an issue....what do you wish you'd have brought?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • If packing and moving costs were not an issue....what do you wish you'd have brought?

    Hi all,

    As per my question above....truly anything (except cars!) for men, women, young children, health & household items :-)

    ie. can I get a good stand-alone freezer there or do most housing rentals supply that in addition to regular appliances?

    MOVING from UK so voltage not an issue.

    I need to start accumulating and watching for sales now!

    p.s. I believe in supporting the local economy wherever I am.... so I'm talking about things you truly can't get locally, are too exorbitant, or bad quality/safety :-)

    Thank you!!

  • #2
    oh...and food items that keep in cupboard or freezer :-)

    Comment


    • #3
      easy to get good household item in Jakarta
      if you love music, bring Naim + Meridian system

      Comment


      • #4
        In all my previous travel in Indonesia, I come here with empty luggage and go back home with them full.
        I'm now living here and I can find almost anything I want (would like) here. In Jakarta it's even better.

        One thing I can't find is flat sheet, I buy a set of sheet in Singapore when I go there for my visa.

        The only thing that is in Canada that I miss and can't have here is my Motorcycle.
        La motivation vient en se motivant ~ Motivation come by self-motivation

        Comment


        • #5
          You could bring a stand up freezer, you wont find it in many rental places, a fridge/freezer yes but not a stand up freezer.

          If from the UK food you might miss, but depends on your taste. Heinz Salad cream, HP sauce, good mayo (can get it but its not as good as Hellmans and its expensive), branston pickle, oxo cubes of all types (i use a lot of the veg ones here), Heinz beans if you like them, you can get them here but if I had a container coming I would put 1 case in the container.

          Other things I always bring, a good supply of Lemsip max, as you wil get a few doses of flu at the begining and you cant get it here, but it works wonders for me, a lot of multivitimin, they are also very expensive here. Maybe also 2-3 first aid kits of good quality. Here the ones you can get are basic. I brought my own with me.

          If you like bread then I would invest in a good breadmaker, as the bread here may not be to your taste. Also a good coffe machine, as they are also quite expensive here.

          Other kitchen things I would bring, good knife set, chopping boards, food processor, toaster.

          You can buy most electric items here, but if they are good brands, they are normally more expensive.

          Just remember even though it may be a free container for you, customes can be funny here, if it is full of all new stuff still in original packaging you may have a problem.

          Other may be able to explain better, as I have never imported a container.

          If I can help in any other way, let me know. If you want to throw in an extra case of beans I wil buy them,
          [COLOR=#ff0000]Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds[/COLOR]. Albert Einstein

          Comment


          • #6
            Merci Phillippe...didn't realize you were a fellow Canadian :-) I'm from Ottawa and hubby from rural town Saskatchewan.
            Ok thanks...we have tons of flat sheets so all is good with our bedding world.
            Sorry on the motorcycle!!
            My hubby's love is kayaking & we do have one so hopefully there is a place to do that on trips away from the city?

            Originally posted by PhilippeD View Post
            In all my previous travel in Indonesia, I come here with empty luggage and go back home with them full.
            I'm now living here and I can find almost anything I want (would like) here. In Jakarta it's even better.

            One thing I can't find is flat sheet, I buy a set of sheet in Singapore when I go there for my visa.

            The only thing that is in Canada that I miss and can't have here is my Motorcycle.

            Comment


            • #7
              Awesome list Jim! Great tip on the breadmaker....we do love our bread! So in Jakarta...there isn't a 'western-style' bakery to get whole wheat toast, baguettes, etc.?

              I'll ask our HR about bringing in new packed things and how they deal with it....if it's just paying custom duties, they'll do it....if it's confiscated, then we'll just disperse it amongst our stuff!!

              ....and yes the kids love their baked beans! I'll find out about the customs issue and get back to you on your case of beans :-)
              truly thank you for the list again....very useful :-)


              Originally posted by jim69 View Post
              You could bring a stand up freezer, you wont find it in many rental places, a fridge/freezer yes but not a stand up freezer.

              If from the UK food you might miss, but depends on your taste. Heinz Salad cream, HP sauce, good mayo (can get it but its not as good as Hellmans and its expensive), branston pickle, oxo cubes of all types (i use a lot of the veg ones here), Heinz beans if you like them, you can get them here but if I had a container coming I would put 1 case in the container.

              Other things I always bring, a good supply of Lemsip max, as you wil get a few doses of flu at the begining and you cant get it here, but it works wonders for me, a lot of multivitimin, they are also very expensive here. Maybe also 2-3 first aid kits of good quality. Here the ones you can get are basic. I brought my own with me.

              If you like bread then I would invest in a good breadmaker, as the bread here may not be to your taste. Also a good coffe machine, as they are also quite expensive here.

              Other kitchen things I would bring, good knife set, chopping boards, food processor, toaster.

              You can buy most electric items here, but if they are good brands, they are normally more expensive.

              Just remember even though it may be a free container for you, customes can be funny here, if it is full of all new stuff still in original packaging you may have a problem.

              Other may be able to explain better, as I have never imported a container.

              If I can help in any other way, let me know. If you want to throw in an extra case of beans I wil buy them,

              Comment


              • #8
                As for bread, you can get bread in some places, but its not like you would find in Canada (not that I have been there) where most areas you can find a shop that you can get a loaf of nice bread. Here you have to look around. If you stock the ingrediants, its easy with a bread maker to wake up to a nice loaf. I think you will find it much more convienient than trying to stock up on bread, assuming you find one you like.
                [COLOR=#ff0000]Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds[/COLOR]. Albert Einstein

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by jim69 View Post
                  As for bread, you can get bread in some places, but its not like you would find in Canada (not that I have been there) where most areas you can find a shop that you can get a loaf of nice bread. Here you have to look around. If you stock the ingrediants, its easy with a bread maker to wake up to a nice loaf. I think you will find it much more convienient than trying to stock up on bread, assuming you find one you like.
                  I bake our own bread.

                  too bad, I can't get fresh yeast or sourdough starter here.

                  ah yes, we have a stand up freezer. Very handy even though it's an old one. It was given to us by an old friend who had bought the item 10 years ago or so.
                  Last edited by sweetmaria; 14-05-12, 14:26.
                  [COLOR=black]
                  [/COLOR]

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    There are good whole-wheat toast and baguettes.. You just need to know where to find them. Kem chicks in kemang should have them, or 99 ranch market or foodhall supermarket. They carry international brand products. Boutique bakery should carry them as well.
                    I saw breadmaker (i forgot where exactly in Jkt, but you can bring it just in case).

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I miss good bread here. But if you live in South Jakarta (I don't, but I was there the other day) I found a fantastic bakery in the Food hall of Sogo Department store in Pondok Indah Mall. Really, really good nutty yummy bread....and not sweet! A small loaf for around Rp 25.000.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Okay thank you....good to know! I will refer to all this once we get there!

                        Originally posted by adeodatus View Post
                        There are good whole-wheat toast and baguettes.. You just need to know where to find them. Kem chicks in kemang should have them, or 99 ranch market or foodhall supermarket. They carry international brand products. Boutique bakery should carry them as well.
                        I saw breadmaker (i forgot where exactly in Jkt, but you can bring it just in case).

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Thanks Kelly! I think we will live in South but not sure.....will check all these out when we come for our pre-relocation trip! I will go all out to avoid making bread - not a cooking fan!

                          Originally posted by kelly888 View Post
                          I miss good bread here. But if you live in South Jakarta (I don't, but I was there the other day) I found a fantastic bakery in the Food hall of Sogo Department store in Pondok Indah Mall. Really, really good nutty yummy bread....and not sweet! A small loaf for around Rp 25.000.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            all of my guitars and amps instead of just having to pick 1. and all of my poker gear, chips, table etc

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              my tool boxes because i hate using other peoples tools and if i were able to take them it would make my life so much easier

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X