Looking for General Help information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for General Help information

My husband and I are looking towards retirement. We have done some research about SS and Medicare and which places we could retire to and still receive at least the SS benefits. I only have two questions regarding that for Indonesia.

1.) If you reside in Indonesia are you "Double taxed" (Once by the US and the other by Indonesian government)?
    2.) How much is a general medical policy there for 2 50 year old people? Is the medical care in Indonesia quality or sub-par?

My goal each year is to take 3 weeks or so and to travel to each of the places on our list. I would like to change accommodations once every week within that country so that I can get a better feel of the lay of the land so that we can make a more educated decision on where to live when it comes time to retire.

Here is where the expat community comes in...I need suggestions from you on which 3 cities I should stay in that would gave me the best feel for the country.

Our likes:
    • We LOVE the water and the beach, I have to have water or views of water.
    • We also like the forests and the jungles but are not too fond of the bugs and critters that come with that
    • We currently live in farm country and I don't think that I could go back to living in the middle of a city, but I would like to have the option to drive there for general supplies and food etc.
    • I need a small yard, 1/4 acre or so as I do like to pitter in the yard but the 3 acres I have now is unmanageable.
    • I would like to live somewhere in between the middle of locals and the expat community. I look forward to making friends and visiting socially.

Any help that you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Kari Q

Originally posted by KariQ2015 View Post
    • We also like the forests and the jungles but are not too fond of the bugs and critters that come with that
    You won't do well in the tropics, then. We have mosquitos, roaches, ants, geckos and other lizards galore! Once or twice a year in some locations, the termites swarm and lose their wings all over everything. But you do get used to it, and in fact there is a type of lizard called a tokek that makes are particularly amusing sound.

Comment

We have lived in Kauai for quite some time. I do have an understanding of bugs, roaches and misc creatures. We have found though that if you live in the forested areas you experience more of these issues than if you were to live in a suburb or closer to the beach. We do get used to them in Kauai...but I would like to choose to live in the areas that would be more likely to have less of them.

Comment

Disclaimer:
        This is a general posting. This is not legal or tax advice. Hire a consultant for you specific needs.

Ok. Now.

1. Maybe, but probably not. It depends on how much money you make and from what. The U.S. government generally gives a tax credit for foreign taxes paid.
        http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc856.html
        Even if you did have to pay Indonesian taxes, you could offset that to the U.S. return.
        I believe Indonesia has the same policy to a certain extent.
        http://www.expat.or.id/info/individualincometaxes.html

2. I have no idea.

Comment

We have lived in Kauai for quite some time. I do have an understanding of bugs, roaches and misc creatures. We have found though that if you live in the forested areas you experience more of these issues than if you were to live in a suburb or closer to the beach. We do get used to them in Kauai...but I would like to choose to live in the areas that would be more likely to have less of them.
          No kidding! Are you on island now? I'm on the Big Island. Aloha, neighbor!

Comment

My husband and I are looking towards retirement.
            Our likes:
            • We LOVE the water and the beach, I have to have water or views of water.
            • We currently live in farm country and I don't think that I could go back to living in the middle of a city, but I would like to have the option to drive there for general supplies and food etc.
            • I need a small yard, 1/4 acre or so as I do like to pitter in the yard but the 3 acres I have now is unmanageable.
            • I would like to live somewhere in between the middle of locals and the expat community. I look forward to making friends and visiting socially.

I have been to neither place so I am not recommending them, but I just wanted to point out two to research.

Bali is always a popular destination amongst forum members. I almost assume if you are looking at Indonesia you have heard a little about Bali.

Also for a little while I have seen more than a couple posters doing the same thing in Manado.

Also for the yard, there may be an expectation for you to hire someone. Labor costs are a little lower in Indonesia.

Comment

Originally posted by jukung11 View Post

Also for the yard, there may be an expectation for you to hire someone. Labor costs are a little lower in Indonesia.
              I think foreigners with retirement visas are required to hire someone.

Kari, you should check out the threads started by SteveandPenny. Here's their first one to get you started: http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.or...=steveandpenny

Comment

Retirement Visa is for 55 or older unless it recently changed

Comment

Indonesia is a very acquired taste. I would not recommend it to 80% of people who have only lived in a western "luxury" life.
                  Sasa Bule is having a bayi!

Comment

For Indonesia, check out Bali and Lombok. In terms of being close enough to a big city to drive, beaches near Jakarta not so great but flights between Bali/Lombok and Jakarta are cheap and plentiful. Been to Manado, but seems would be a much quieter lifestyle, further away from the action, and most of the toursism there seems to center around diving. I think Bali and Lombok would have more to offer, especially if you have no other connections to Indonesia. I would also encourage you to check out Thai islands. Thailand has much better medical facilities than Indonesia. Basically for anything more than basic medical needs, most of those that "can" go elsewhere than Indonesia (Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand etc). If you want this part of the world, Philippines might also be an option to check out - in my view it is a much more "western" (sort of latin) society compared to others in the region.

Comment

Agree with Jaime here. And if Hawaii is the 'furthest and moste extreme' you got until now?!

Why not Panama or Costa Rica? Malaysia perhaps if you want to go somewhat more extreme (Penang; google MM2H).
                      [FONT=arial black]
                      [/FONT]

Comment

Jstar and JaimeC, if you are thinking that all of Hawaii is like cosmopolitan Oahu, you might want to reconsider your remarks. Have any of you ever spent time on Kauai? Do you know what the population is of the county seat, Lihue? It's about 6,500 people. The TOTAL population of the island is less than 70,000 people. Mataram on Lombok has more than 400,000. Check out Wikipedia's photo of Lihue: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lihue,_Hawaii Does that look a lot more developed than many places in Indonesia?

True story: when I was living on Pohnpei in 1986 - a tiny speck of an island in Micronesia which had 11 miles of paved road at the time - we decided to visit a Hawaiian island. At first we were going to go to Kauai, but after we researched it we decided that while it was wonderful, it was too much like staying home.*

I think years on Kauai is actually great preparation for living in Indonesia.

Having said that, I don't know why an American couple would choose to retire to Indonesia if Hawaii was an alternative. As I've recounted many times on this forum, my parents made what turned out to be a foolish mistake when they choose to move from the US to Mexico as retirees. It's different for younger people with jobs or people married into an Indonesian family - that gives you a valuable support network. But when you are older, getting more health problems and less flexible mentally - a developing country, even one as glorious as Indonesia, is a risky choice if that network is not in place.

But everyone must decide for themselves; I think Steve and Penny are going into this knowing what they are doing and hopefully they are the kind of people for whom it will be a great choice. Hopefully Kari and her husband are the same way.

As for me, I'm heading straight back to Hawaii for retirement. It has many of the perks of life in Indonesia - warm weather, beautiful scenery, friendly people (and there is even a renowned gamelan program at UH! I will try to found and teach a group on the Big Island once we're fully back). Plus I speak the language a lot better, have more faith in the health care, and don't have to worry about corrupt officials holding up my visa status. And it won't be QUITE as expensive to visit my son or for him to come see us, once he's established himself as an adult in California or someplace.

[SIZE=1]*We visited the Big Island instead. Little did I know we would one day establish roots there.[/SIZE]
                        Last edited by Puspawarna; 02-07-15, 12:54.

Comment

Originally posted by jstar View Post
                          Agree with Jaime here. And if Hawaii is the 'furthest and moste extreme' you got until now?!

Why not Panama or Costa Rica? Malaysia perhaps if you want to go somewhat more extreme (Penang; google MM2H).
                          I find it amusing how on this forum most times someone "new" to Indonesia asks for advice - people that already live here try to steer them away because of how "potentially difficult" it is for the uninitiated. Is it perhaps the mentality of not wanting more expats to spoil the party? The OP mentioned they would take recon trips for 3 weeks to potential destinations - to check it out for themselves. What they are asking from this forum is recommendations on which places in Indonesia to check out during (if nothing else) a 3 week holiday......

Comment

While Kauai may be somewhat remote, I would guess that medical care, electricity, and such is of higher quality than a same population density area in Indonesia.

How often do we see stories of people who say the love Indonesia and are moving here for the rest of their lives. Then a year or two later, they leave forever.

If people are realistic, then they'll be fine.
                            Sasa Bule is having a bayi!

Comment

Puspa, your last paragraph is eactly the point we were making, not about nature or city development.

I don't say it is that clean and healthy everywhere but there's a huge different with RI or any other developing Asian country. And things are much easier there if you're an American citizen. Of course some might argue there also is some kind of mentality in the 'kill haole day' Hawaiian subculture.

Been there many times when living in SoCal. (It was like; this is the closest we can get and we will never have this chance again.) And honestly, I was always bored stiff. Give me the Caribbean any time.
                              [FONT=arial black]
                              [/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                              X