No announcement yet.

Moderators have it tough.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK I see. Hopefully it's a rather rare occurrence in the mass of trolling of online forums.

Comment

I was a moderator on another Asian based forum for about 4 years. That forum's statistics:

8,216,743 Total Posts
      190,148 Total Members
      32,076 Most Online

Some of the abuse received by the mods there was terrible. Including physical threats and so on.
      We had several prolific trolls, it pretty much took one of the mods being online full time hunting them down (rather than moderating). They were quite clever in their approach to trolling and using different accounts. But the site root admin was a clever guy and would run a script every so often daily that would flag IP addresses known to be used by the trolls to help narrow them down. IP would be blocked for a period of time, MAC address of PCs block if able to.

Eventually there was one member who was banned for whatever reason who took it upon himself to start his own forum (which is now quite successful) but he used that forum initially to try to 'out' us mods as pedophiles and rapists, drug addicts/dealers or felons on the run from home countries.

I decided it just wasn't worth it so I resigned.
      I never did get my head around why some people would bother wasting their time trolling like that. Very strange, what did they get out of it?

Comment

Originally posted by ~daun~ View Post
        We had several prolific trolls, it pretty much took one of the mods being online full time hunting them down (rather than moderating). They were quite clever in their approach to trolling and using different accounts. But the site root admin was a clever guy and would run a script every so often daily that would flag IP addresses known to be used by the trolls to help narrow them down. IP would be blocked for a period of time, MAC address of PCs block if able to.
        What surprises me is that these trolls are often "full time troll", not trolling one, but several forums in the same time. For many of the one we have had, I've found out that they were users of other forums where they were displaying a similar attitude.

I agree with you that they are often quite clever in their approach to trolling.

However, your experience as a mod is perhaps a bit "old" in the sense that there is a long time that trolls have learnt the existence of TOR or other IP anonymizers and how to conceal their real IP. As a matter of fact, the IP is the last thing we check in this forum because in 9 cases out of 10, it doesn't match any others in the database.

Also, should anyone want to IP ban me for example, it would be a life time work I am afraid. last time I've run a check I found out that I've been using thousands (yes!) of IPs in the past 6+ years to log on the forum, localized in 14 different countries! This is mainly due to the fact that my main IPs are non static one. Good luck to ban me.

It reminds me that we've had this banned troll (Hi Andy!) who even found a pretty interesting and innovative way to "communicate" with me and let me know his comments about posts and posters of the forum, while remaining un-traceable.

To make it short, he was logging and registering in a newspaper website, different one time from the other, and was creating a bogus account. Then he was using the "send this article to a friend" feature and was pasting his comment and link to the thread in the forum. Last, he was typing my email address as being the "friend" who the article should be sent to. I was just receiving the link to the article and message re-routed by the newspaper website.

This is smart... but pretty telling on how twisted trolls can be. Unfortunately for him, I think I've been reading only the first few comments and quickly discarded any similar incoming email.

Pretty regularly, we (wm or I) receive emails from past trolls, even years after their ban, commenting about the forum, the posters, a thread as if we could ever be interested by what they have to say about it/them and of course, a few insults. Usually these emails remain unread and are just redirected to a special folder.

The physical threats you were hinting at are a constant and perhaps the most laughable of the whole circus. I think that it took me only a couple of day as moderator to receive my first physical threat. Don't remember exactly who it was but the guy seemed to believe that he would make some kind of impression. Weird.

The same week a group of 3 Indonesian ladies flew off the handle, insulting me on the board and threatening me to sleuth and reveal who I was (which was in itself ridiculous since I never made a mystery about my real ID), and denouncing me to Imigrasi (or whatever other Dinas it was, don't remember) following a post I made about general corruption in the administration. They were three friends, using the same computer and IP that day and where trying to have the board believe that there was no connection in between them. These one never heard about what TOR was, and more importantly never heard about what an IP is and how easy it is to trace.

It was pretty funny but I really had the impression that Paman and wm omitted a few information in the job profile when they proposed it to me.
        Last edited by atlantis; 09-12-14, 16:46.

Comment

There sure seem to be a lot of banned new users the last week. I'm lucky if I have time to just read most of the messages. I can really imagine that people have absolutely no life outside their computer, and have nothing constructive to do in life.
          Sasa Bule is having a bayi!

Comment

Originally posted by atlantis View Post

snipped for brevity

~ I agree with you that they are often quite clever in their approach to trolling.

However, your experience as a mod is perhaps a bit "old" in the sense that there is a long time that trolls have learnt the existence of TOR or other IP anonymizers and how to conceal their real IP. As a matter of fact, the IP is the last thing we check in this forum because in 9 cases out of 10, it doesn't match any others in the database. ~
            You are correct, I gave it up somewhere around 2006 after moderating spilled over into my personal life and threatened to affect my family.

I did it initially because I wanted to give something back to the expat community (in that particular country) and for a couple of years as the board remained under 10,000 members it was great, but as membership climbed the dynamics of the posters changed hence the whole board changed. It is now quite a nasty place in some of the more general sub-forums.

Comment

Working...
            X