Locked Threads and Moderator Actions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locked Threads and Moderator Actions

Can anyone share some past experience with controversial threads or threads which "went bad" and what usually happens to them? (I am not soliciting criticism of the Mod team, who are the only reason the forum is as good as it is.)

Edit: Also, if we keep could direct mentions of a current and ongoing Moderator Action to a minimum, the Moderators will not hate me for making this thread. (Edit made after post 5, but not in criticism of it)
    Last edited by Happyman; 19-11-14, 22:07.

Speaking as a long-time forum member and former mod, I can tell you that usually the threads are re-opened, sometimes with a little "clean-up" (deletions of particular posts and/or inflammatory language) and sometimes with a general mod note advising everyone not to resume the type of posting that got the thread closed in the first place. But it is an entirely case-by-case decision making process.

Individual posters aren't always necessarily singled out in any mod posts. A lot of times the warnings or infractions go on behind the scenes. Occasionally, if the mods think it would help other posters understand the rules and how they are applied, it will be mentioned that "this post was deemed to warrant an infraction because of blah blah blah." Of course, if a poster gets banned, that will be obvious whether or not the mods point to it. If a long-time, well-known poster is banned, there is usually an announcement posted in the Forum Life channel with an explanation - and then THAT thread is permanently locked.
    Last edited by Puspawarna; 19-11-14, 21:31.

Comment

I think the JIS thread is a stand alone thread for breaking records for all facets: size, emotion, contributor numbers etc etc.
      Things happen for a reason...

Comment

Does this sort of thing happen very often?

Edit: I type very slowly, see above.

Comment

Originally posted by Happyman View Post
          Not really. It seems to come in waves, though I'm not sure why that is. And like Michelle says, the JIS thread is a unique entity. The forum has seen nothing like it before, and I hope there will never be anything like it again.

Comment

In that sort of mass action, where whole sections of a thread are deleted, do users usually get notified if their post is deleted?
            Last edited by Happyman; 19-11-14, 22:08.

Comment

In that sort of mass action, where whole sections of a thread are deleted, do users usually get notified if their post is deleted?
              You may be overthinking this. It is not the sort of thing any legit, well-meaning poster needs to worry about. You'll generally know what happened - either by looking at the thread, or as a result of hearing from the mods. But like I said, it's a case-by-case sort of thing. It's not like there are rules for every possible situation. I would generally trust the mods to handle matters and to be transparent about their actions and reasoning. If something happens that causes you to be unhappy with a mod action, you can appeal to the forum owner or simply decide not to post any more.

Comment

Also, not sure where you are getting this whole "mass action" idea. It's not like the mod team is in the habit of "disappearing" pages upon pages of thread contributions. You were the one who came up with the idea of "whole sections of a thread" being deleted. Honestly, that's not the sort of thing that goes on around here.

Comment

Originally posted by Puspawarna View Post
                  Also, not sure where you are getting this whole "mass action" idea. It's not like the mod team is in the habit of "disappearing" pages upon pages of thread contributions. You were the one who came up with the idea of "whole sections of a thread" being deleted. Honestly, that's not the sort of thing that goes on around here.
                  Fair enough. I'm not worried about the Moderators doing their thing though, I believe they want to forum to be a good place, and will work towards that as best they can. If that means deleting pages of my posts, well, it's their decision. Sometimes I reread something I wrote and want to delete it myself. Made quite a few posts like that recently.

Like you said, if I had a problem with the system, I could go somewhere else (though I wonder what sort of place would find me acceptable, if I found this place unacceptable). But, I'm not going to go out of my way to find problems with people who are donating their time to support a nice environment for others. I was just wondering what the mechanisms they use to do it are.
                  Last edited by Happyman; 19-11-14, 23:47.

Comment

Can anyone share some past experience with controversial threads or threads which "went bad" and what usually happens to them?
                    Usually a highly controversial thread is locked for two reasons:
                    - giving time to the board members who participate in the thread to chill a bit and take a step back.
                    - giving time to mods to chime in in the moderation forum and add their input concerning the thread, the user(s) or the posts which have been reported/raise concerns.

It usually doesn't last long before reaching a consensus and taking the appropriate decision if required. I think that the longest time a thread has been closed was about 72 hours, including a sunday. Who likes to "work" on sundays anyway. Certainly not mods.

I remember once a "mass deletion of posts" in a thread where 3 users (Two of them has been banned since then and the third one has flounced) managed to post around 70 posts bickering and throwing mud at each other in the course of a few hours at night! Some were pretty nasty.

In the JIS case, I don't think that much deletion would occurred or even be considered. However, the moderation team wishes to take a closer look at some of the accusation which have been formulated. We also would like all participants to step back and chill a bit as I described earlier.

In my 6 years+ moderating the forum, I can't remember more than 20 threads being temporarily closed. Wild guess though. I am ready to stand corrected but shouldn't be far from the real number.
                    More have been fully deleted, either because they were started by spammers or were grossly infringing our PG (insults, promoting illegal stuff, unauthorized advertisement, ads not complying with templates...etc).

Comment

Working...
                    X