Reputation Rules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reputation Rules

Can someone clarify how giving reputation works? I keep getting a message "you must spread reputation around before giving it to x again" today. This happened with three different targets of green bricks and I don't recall giving to any of them yesterday. Glitch?

I thought the circulation simply worked in a pattern of 3 -- you can't give it to A twice in a row, nor back to A after giving B, but you can give to A again after giving to B and C. Not true?

I have received past messages "you have reached your daily limit of reputation giving" but it might be helpful for someone to explain what that is and to confirm that it is based on 24-hour clock (00:01 to 23:59 WIB).

Also, newbies might want to understand why they can receive but not give until X threshold has been reached.

You have to give 20 different posters rep before you can give rep a second time to someone.

Comment

Better to not use a defective vehicle, as is the reputation system. Leave it in the garage. If a particular post is appreciated, its rather easy to say so in the open forum and there is no limit on how many times you can direct kind words to a member or extoll their comments.

Comment

I red bricked Puspa so many times for stealing my avatars, her kitty's eyes turned red!
        Sasa Bule is having a bayi!

Comment

Originally posted by Puspawarna View Post
          You have to give 20 different posters rep before you can give rep a second time to someone.
          So hard to find them tho...
          Cicak Magnet

Comment

There is a stickied thread available to you Martindo, and it should explain you anything you wish to know about the reputation system.

Comment

Thanks A, but that is a closed one-post thread, which I read a couple months ago. It is a good explanation of the algorithm for gaining reputation power.

But my question involves the circulation of giving the bricks -- how many people must get it before you can go back and give it again to person A? It is MUCH less than 20, Puspa. More like 3 or maybe 5.

Comment

Originally posted by martindo View Post
                Thanks A, but that is a closed one-post thread, which I read a couple months ago. It is a good explanation of the algorithm for gaining reputation power.

But my question involves the circulation of giving the bricks -- how many people must get it before you can go back and give it again to person A? It is MUCH less than 20, Puspa. More like 3 or maybe 5.
                Puspa was correct. You need to spread reputation to 20 users (B,C,D, E...etc) before giving it again to A. It has been set as it is since the implementation of vbulletin.
                Reading the whole thread (see the link at the bottom of the post) in the link I gave you would give you a few hints about why we did not and do no want to change the settings. Grown adults sometimes act like kids... or worse.

Comment

Kids, indeed. Red bricking is a way to get personal without violating the rules. I suppose its useful as a blowing off steam mechanism, but the best place for red bricks is as driveway edging.

Comment

Just follow Warm advise, it use to have kid who play around with rep for put themself on the top... so the mod change it for make it totaly useless... just forget about it!

Like warm said, if you have a comment t said, said it loud!
                    La motivation vient en se motivant ~ Motivation come by self-motivation

Comment

While I theoretically agree that the rep system isn't a good idea, as long as it is there I do use it - green bricks only, though! I never red-brick anyone unless it is a spammer and I'm just discharging rep.

Two reasons: people green-brick me fairly often, and it seems rude not to participate in the system when people are giving me nice comments behind the scenes.

Second, it is an alternative to posting something relatively content-free which doesn't add to the thread, but which might be privately enjoyed by the poster receiving rep. Saying "hah, that post was hilarious" doesn't move the conversation forward, but the writer might like to hear it. This is especially true when I'm reading a post that was made several days ago - the conversation might have gone on since then for a page or two. It's disruptive to post in the thread.

Comment

I'm a strong believer in bricks. Green and red. As Puspa said, leaving a post that says, +1, or yeahhhh, or similar just wastes bandwidth.

I will admit that I red bricked a bit too much, before this year. I've actively tried to not red brick as much this year, especially new users. If it's an obvious spammer/troll, I won't wait, but normally let them get used to the forum.

In most cases, red bricking is not personal. Some people have taken it as such. I have red bricked and green bricked the same person.
                        Sasa Bule is having a bayi!

Comment

In my opinion, the bricking system is unintuitive. I was just reading the balipod.com forum and under every post there's a Thanks, Like and Dislike button. Much simpler.

ThanksLikeDislike.JPG

Comment

Originally posted by Puspawarna View Post
                            ... it is an alternative to posting something relatively content-free which doesn't add to the thread, but which might be privately enjoyed by the poster receiving rep. Saying "hah, that post was hilarious" doesn't move the conversation forward, but the writer might like to hear it. This is especially true when I'm reading a post that was made several days ago - the conversation might have gone on since then for a page or two. It's disruptive to post in the thread.
                            Yes, that's how I see it. I mean, if we have anonymity of users AND private message (PM), why insist that a brick be "outed" for everyone to see? It's useful for a quick note, and in fact the facility is better than most in that it does allow you to add a few words of explanation.

I guess I really have circulated greens to over 20 people, because I'm sure I've given them to some of you several times each. Seems that the 20 used to go by very quickly, but I suppose I'm bricking to a narrower variety of people now so I get the warning more often.

Thanks, all.

Comment

The last brick I receive was a month ago about something I write one year ago in "In-every-thread-someone-must-be-last-a-challenge" tread...

A reputation system who is use for send short message for not overload the board... and you (who ever it is) tried to make me believe it's working fine?
                              What the meaning of those "reputation" send?

How use the reputation:
                              Rule 1: Send and you will receive, don't and you won't. Most people feel shy to not answer back a reputation, giving reputation is bringing reputation... what ever this "reputation" can mean.
                              Rule 2: the reputation system is more often use by new user who still don't know how useless it is.
                              Rule 3: You need to spread to 20 person before being able to give again to the same person. This part can be frustrating, when you want give a green brick to someone and can't. The number of user who can write something plus or less meaningful per week is not that high... even per month. At this point you face 2 choice.
                              Choice #1: Just forget about the reputation system. It's what I do, I rarely use it.
                              Choice #2: Give reputation (green or red) to everyone crossing your path for being able to give the "real" green you want give when you want to. The problem with this is the reputation system become more a vehicle for send comment than giving reputation. And the "how much reputation" you may have become worthless because of rule #1

Rule 5: If you can't rep someone because "need to spread around" write a post like "Sorry mate, I was not able to green brick you"

The rules was change because some user ever "abuse" it by green bricking each other and red bricking everyone else. Those constant red brick with meaning less comment could be irritating and I do agree the reputation system need a change in it's rules... I just think the change goes too much far... even more when you know the "abuser" were all eventually banned.

At the beginning of the forum, one more green or red can really change something in your ranking in the forum (the reputation count how much time you are registered + how much post + how much greed/red brick).
                              Today, someone need to go a long run for being show on the first page of the member list listed by reputation... I don't think the old childish behavior will happen again. It simply require too much energy for change your rank.

And... who care about your rank! (but yeah... it does have people who care about it!)
                              La motivation vient en se motivant ~ Motivation come by self-motivation

Comment

Working...
                              X