Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did anyone else get this spam e-mail with a reference to the forum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did anyone else get this spam e-mail with a reference to the forum?

I received this obvious spam on my personal e-mail account (not as a PM). Did any other forum members get this?

Originally posted by spammer
    [COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica]Hello,[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica]I am Miss stephani, I have go through your profile, Well according to your profile,on this site[/FONT][/COLOR]www.expat.or.id[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica] I think I've taken an interest in it. We can get to know each other better through this way, my email is ([/FONT][/COLOR][email protected][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica])[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica]WRITE DIRECT TO MY EMAIL ID I have something important to tell you.i hope to hear from you. Thanks yours ,[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica]stephan[/FONT][/COLOR]

Not I. I see Stephani became stephan. I'm sure the important message is that your email will now go out to millions or that they have a few million dollars hid and all you need to do to get some of it is to take some and send to them and keep the rest for yourself.
    [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]Some love to milk Apostate.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by fastpitch17 View Post
      Not I. I see Stephani became stephan. I'm sure the important message is that your email will now go out to millions or that they have a few million dollars hid and all you need to do to get some of it is to take some and send to them and keep the rest for yourself.
      I know, right? I wish I could answer the email so I could see what too-good-to-be-true offer "stephani" has in store for me, but I know that doing so would just increase the amount of spam I get. I'm tempted to answer from a throw-away account, though.

Comment

I do NOT have this spam... look like my profile is not enough attractive... and I don't have any link to a personal mail in this forum (you do)

Added: thinking about it, I does have one... need one for create the account, but i don'T allow to have direct e-mail send (look when you click on my name compare to you
        Last edited by PhilippeD; 22-08-14, 10:30.
        La motivation vient en se motivant ~ Motivation come by self-motivation

Comment

I'll lay my bets on a Mr or Mrs Puspawarna having died in a car accident in Nigeria and Stephan(i) was his/her lawyer. He'll recount how the late Puspawarna died with $30,000,000 in the bank and the bank manager is willing to accept a pultry $30,000 to have you declared the heir to the fortune.

Comment

on my Setting - General Setting I don't allow vcard and receive e-mail only from administrator

Comment

Some enlightening on such scams,

Either its the usual pay us some money then millions will be yours or is a money laundering scam.

The second one is the interesting one, they(A) will steal money from someones account(B) and channel the money thru you(C). They will literally place just below 10,000 usd to your account, and ask about 70% to 90% of the money to be transferred to another account. You keep the 'commission'. If you do it once, they will keep continuing this, so it seems like a great incentive to not stop giving them the money after your cut. (You can just keep the first payment, but I'm quite sure retribution will follow.)

Its usually assumed hacker A steals from Victim B. That is wrong, it is A stealing from C(you) via B. Bank transfers can be undone in light of illegal transfers like B to C. But legal transfers* like C to A will not be entertained by the bank for rewinding. So B doesn't actually lose money (well probably some and lots of time) but the person who actually loses all the money is C... you. A would have cleared the fictitious bank account in some sesat country of all the money and be gone by then.

Theres no free lunch.

*Legal transfer like accessing the bank website with correct password, and your handphone one time sms correctly inputted before money is moved. (called two tiered security like ATMs needing physical card AND password for withdrawal)

The more you know....

Comment

uhm i have won 2 alphard cars, 3 BMW's , my brother is taken by the police because of drugs in nigeria , 8 people died in UK and each of them left me a big sum of money, .. ... just because of those kinda email..
                dont judge a book by it cover. judge it by it price. good books are expensive

Comment

I just changed my privacy settings - I'd never really realized that my personal email address was available to the whole world. It's actually pretty remarkable that I haven't gotten similar spam in the past, given that my address was right there for the whole world to see! Shame on me for not practicing "safe hex."

Comment

Not this spam, but similar ones from people who befriend me on Linked In.

There was one case where the spammer used a white-guy's photo and Brit name, but the address listed was an exhibition hall in London -- not likely to be the office of an actual company in the line of business he claimed to list in his profile.

Of course, with Linked In, they can easily move from one person to another -- the fake Brit had several contacts in common with me (probably people who just ignored his initial sales pitch and didn't bother un-friending him), which put him into the second-degree orbit around me.

Comment

Not recently, but I have seen that email before.

Comment

Originally posted by Puspawarna View Post
                        I just changed my privacy settings - I'd never really realized that my personal email address was available to the whole world. It's actually pretty remarkable that I haven't gotten similar spam in the past, given that my address was right there for the whole world to see! Shame on me for not practicing "safe hex."
                        For make thing more representative of the reality... you were not that much "available to the world".
                        When I click on your "send a mail" before you make your present change, it lead me to a box where my mail was send on my behalf by the website, never saw your mail at all.

But... if you answer to the mail...

Comment

basically, what these folks did are doing data mining. there is a crawler that will crawl through all pages of this vbulletin forum, and retriver anything that uses *@*.* for general wildcard or *@gmail.com , for gmail only emails. alternatively. they can be set for phone numbers too.. or names.. countless possibilities..

I know... because, that is what im doing.. well, not to do harm.. but as a penetration testing environment for known exploits.

the admin should block out multiple threaded connection such as crawlers others than google and bing.. I should say just an advice.
                          [FONT=book antiqua]- Until a man finds something to die for, he has nothing to live for. -[/FONT]

Comment

oh, aand if you guys are interested in scambaiting.. where scammers get scammed.. go to http://www.419eater.com/ enjoy
                            [FONT=book antiqua]- Until a man finds something to die for, he has nothing to live for. -[/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Puspawarna View Post
                              I received this obvious spam on my personal e-mail account (not as a PM). Did any other forum members get this?
                              No, I was not a recipient. I guess the spammers target only the nice Forum members.

Comment

Working...
                              X