Thread Removal from "Expat Chat"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thread Removal from "Expat Chat"

It seems that a thread formerly residing in the "Expat Chat" section of this forum has been removed, apparently by its author (actually, this has already been confirmed to me by a mod). This brings up a couple of "issues" for me, such as:

1) I didn't know this was even possible. In other forums I've participated in, the author of a thread cannot delete that thread after anyone else has posted in it (only a mod or admin can do so).

2) If a member who is the author of a thread can remove it after many, many others have posted there, is that fair to the other members who have, in this case, put a considerable amount of time, thought and effort into their posts there?

As far as I'm concerned, if the thread has gone away for good, hey, life goes on, "dust in the wind" and all that ... however, I do question the fairness in the action, technically "permissible" or not.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Warden: "What we got here ... is failure to communicate."

The Dude: "Oh yeah? Well that's just, like, your opinion, man."[/FONT]

I found it using google. I think

http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.or...p/2-Expat-Chat

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Bule View Post
      It seems that a thread formerly residing in the "Expat Chat" section of this forum has been removed, apparently by its author (actually, this has already been confirmed to me by a mod). This brings up a couple of "issues" for me, such as:

1) I didn't know this was even possible. In other forums I've participated in, the author of a thread cannot delete that thread after anyone else has posted in it (only a mod or admin can do so).

2) If a member who is the author of a thread can remove it after many, many others have posted there, is that fair to the other members who have, in this case, put a considerable amount of time, thought and effort into their posts there?

As far as I'm concerned, if the thread has gone away for good, hey, life goes on, "dust in the wind" and all that ... however, I do question the fairness in the action, technically "permissible" or not.
      I brought this subject up earlier this year. It's very unfair to the people have contributed to a thread to have the OP just nuke an entire thread.

As I recall, mods can restore threads.
      Sasa Bule is having a bayi!

Comment

Originally posted by johntap View Post
        He is looking for one specific thread, not the entire subforum.

Comment

sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Bule View Post

[MOD HAT]Mods will deal with specific situations on a case-by-case basis, but speaking in general terms, your point is absolutely correct. There have been several past instances where mods have restored a thread deleted by the OP, in order to preserve the time and effort that other posters put into responding.[/MOD HAT]

Comment

Yes, that's why I did not mention the title of the thread, to keep my raising of this "issue" within a more generalized context, and to make sure I won't be considered to be "meddling" in the "Realm of the Mods".
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Warden: "What we got here ... is failure to communicate."

The Dude: "Oh yeah? Well that's just, like, your opinion, man."[/FONT]

Comment

Yes, thread starter can delete the thread if s/he wants. I did mine twice, eh three times. The reason why I deleted them because I did not see they would be beneficial for the readers (forum members or nonmembers), and especially for the maid job ad I posted, well why would I keep the ad if I have found someone already? There's no need to keep it. It will be menuh-menuhin threads in the forum. But one thread I started in teachers chat, where forum members have posted and put a lot of thoughts into it, answering my questions or responding to my problems, IMO people who read the thread can learn from it and it does something good.

And oh, LittleMonster did too when she started a thread about a member here. She deleted it because there was something that she did not expect to see and she was afraid it would make things worse. So she deleted it.

And I noticed another member deleted his thread when he had a problem with his ex student. I don't know why, but I guess it was for his own safety.

I personally like this, that a thread starter can delete the thread and mods can restore it if needed (or asked to). Second option is, maybe the thread started can discuss the matter if/why s/he wants to delete the thread and mods bring it to the forum members and discuss it together whether they agree about the thread to be deleted or not.

However, I can't deny that #2 MB wrote about has a point, that's why I keep my thread in teachers chat, even though I could delete it if I would.
                Last edited by whatever; 09-07-14, 18:47.

Comment

I do not believe that any thread should be able to be deleted by the OP once there are responses to it. If deleted, suddenly the responses become unimportant as well as those responsible for them. Many time the responses have more thought put into them then the OP started with. If any thread is to be deleted it should be done so only at the hands of a Moderator if there is even one response in the thread. How is the OP able to have censorship powers over the other respondents? Why have individuals been given this power here? I thought that was reserved for forum officers.
                  [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]Some love to milk Apostate.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

Umm... yes, actually you're right FP, MB and JC too. It's unfair, true. Let's wait for a mod to answer this...

Comment

Originally posted by fastpitch17 View Post
                      I do not believe that any thread should be able to be deleted by the OP once there are responses to it. If deleted, suddenly the responses become unimportant as well as those responsible for them. Many time the responses have more thought put into them then the OP started with. If any thread is to be deleted it should be done so only at the hands of a Moderator if there is even one response in the thread. How is the OP able to have censorship powers over the other respondents? Why have individuals been given this power here? I thought that was reserved for forum officers.
                      Most forums that I post on don't allow the poster to delete the thread. Some even make any editing of posts impossible after a day or two. This is much better in my opinion. I find that people who often delete threads are people who want to "take their ball and go home" when the posts are not going like they expected in the thread. I have no problems with a moderator locking a thread if the conversation has gotten too wild, or has run its course. Outright deletion should be a very rarely used, moderator only, function.
                      Last edited by Jaime C; 09-07-14, 19:07.

Comment

My personal opinion is simple: no threads should be deleted after that other posters made the effort to answer and contribute, unless if there are very good reasons (ex: concerns for the safety of the OP or any other users, ...etc). Even in the cases I highlight a simple edit of the post should be prioritized, imho. Thus, I will systematically invite the moderators to discuss any case of deletion of thread that I spot and should a majority of us consider that the thread had no valid reason to be deleted, the thread would be restored.

Comment

Originally posted by atlantis View Post
                          My personal opinion is simple: no threads should be deleted after that other posters made the effort to answer and contribute, unless if there are very good reasons (ex: concerns for the safety of the OP or any other users, ...etc). Even in the cases I highlight a simple edit of the post should be prioritized, imho. Thus, I will systematically invite the moderators to discuss any case of deletion of thread that I spot and should a majority of us consider that the thread had no valid reason to be deleted, the thread would be restored.
                          And if the Mods deem it was OK for the thread to have been deleted, shouldn't there be a reason given to each participant. Would it not be better if someone wanted their thread deleted, they should first approach the Mods and then they do it or not?
                          [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]Some love to milk Apostate.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by fastpitch17 View Post
                            And if the Mods deem it was OK for the thread to have been deleted, shouldn't there be a reason given to each participant. Would it not be better if someone wanted their thread deleted, they should first approach the Mods and then they do it or not?
                            1) I am ready to stand corrected but I can't remember for the past 6 years or so of any thread which was deemed useful for the community and where there was multiple contributions and not out of control/offensive which would have been left deleted by mods. It sometimes requires a bit of time for a thread to be restored due to the fact that some of us are busy at times (I have logged on only twice in the past 4 weeks for example) but these matters are always discussed among mods when spotted.
                            2) We obviously prefer that an OP wishing to delete a thread talked to us. It certainly doesn't mean that we will accept it but it surely allow us to discuss the matter with him/her and propose alternative solutions.

Comment

The thread is now restored, based on the rationales noted in this thread.

Comment

Working...
                              X