Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone get the email notification that someone's trying to hack our account?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone get the email notification that someone's trying to hack our account?

I have been getting this message in the past 2 weeks....

"Someone has tried to log into your account on Living In Indonesia Expat Forum with an incorrect password at least 5 times. This person has been prevented from attempting to login to your account for the next 15 minutes.

The person trying to log into your account had the following IP address:
    188.143.xxx.xxx"

I put those xxx.xxx because those numbers always changed every time I received the email notification. When I searched on google about this IP address, found that one of those IP addresses were also trying to use someone's account to get to another forum.

I wonder if anyone has been getting this message too?
    Oh and Hi again peeps
    [FONT=verdana][FONT=bookman old style]
    [/FONT][/FONT]

I would assume that this is a normal and automatic security procedure, and it means just what it says. Some-one is trying to log onto your account, maybe with the aim of posting something that embarrasses you, but they don't have your password so they are guessing. If it is not happening to others, i.e., a multiple attack on the forum, it is possibly some-one that knows you. Do you know the person with the account on the other forum , the account that is also being attacked? The IP address numbers change because every time that person connects to their ISP (probably using a 3G usb modem), they get issued a new IP address.
    Last edited by mrtessster; 23-09-13, 09:39.
    Asam di gunung, garam di laut bertemu dalam satu belanga. https://linuxcounter.net/cert/352656.png

Comment

Originally posted by mrtessster View Post
      I would assume that this is a normal and automatic...and it means just what it says. Someone is trying to log onto your account
      This is correct. As long as you have a sufficiently complex password, the "bad guys" shouldn't be able to log into your account.
      Need help with the forum? Contact me!
      Butuh bantuan dengan forum ini? E-mail aku!

Don't forget to stop by our primary website, Living in Indonesia, A Site For Expatriates.

Comment

Hi All,

I understand that it's normal, just curious if any other members also getting this or not. If not, then someone has been really trying to log on to my account on purpose. I did a trace using the IP look up, it looks like they're from Russia. Did a google search and some members on the other random forums are also experiencing the same issue (I don't know the forum and the members either). At some point, I started to think that it's just a normal attack (not someone that is trying to use my account on purpose).
        [FONT=verdana][FONT=bookman old style]
        [/FONT][/FONT]

Comment

Just to be safe, change your email password.
          One of the easiest way to getting a person's password is by setting up a social site where people need to register using their email address and supply a password. Of course the password doesn't have to be their email's but there are -until now- people who are too stupid to know that, moreover some people doesn't want to be remember too many password so they use the same password for almost, if not all, sites they're part of.
          Email accounts with simple password are also common targets especially when they already know the address (using the above technique), and that it's legit.
          And from your email, to everything else that's relate with it....

had my fun with that method long time ago... now help ensuring no one here become a victim of it
          "Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." - Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by 83cece83 View Post
            I have been getting this message in the past 2 weeks....

"Someone has tried to log into your account on Living In Indonesia Expat Forum with an incorrect password at least 5 times. This person has been prevented from attempting to login to your account for the next 15 minutes.

The person trying to log into your account had the following IP address:
            188.143.xxx.xxx"

I put those xxx.xxx because those numbers always changed every time I received the email notification. When I searched on google about this IP address, found that one of those IP addresses were also trying to use someone's account to get to another forum.

I wonder if anyone has been getting this message too?
            Oh and Hi again peeps
            I got the same email this afternoon. It means, there is more than 1 member got the same case. Hmm...
            I smile.

Comment

Working...
            X