Server Upgrade discussion - Part II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server Upgrade discussion - Part II

Now that the new server is operational...how is it?
    Need help with the forum? Contact me!
    Butuh bantuan dengan forum ini? E-mail aku!

Don't forget to stop by our primary website, Living in Indonesia, A Site For Expatriates.

It seems to me the forums are now much faster and respond more quickly.

However, I do not like the new "What's new?" format. I usually click on it and can see all the threads that were updated since my last visit. Now I can only see two or three threads before having to scroll down. Also posts in the same thread are not condensed.

Comment

Clean, fresh, new server smell!
      "The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is difficult to determine if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by dafluff View Post
        However, I do not like the new "What's new?" format. I usually click on it and can see all the threads that were updated since my last visit.
        This is a temporary issue since the cache that was previously populated is no longer active (since we migrated servers). This behavior should be no different after the next 24 hours or so. Let me know via PM if doesn't change.
        Need help with the forum? Contact me!
        Butuh bantuan dengan forum ini? E-mail aku!

Don't forget to stop by our primary website, Living in Indonesia, A Site For Expatriates.

Comment

You have done a good job Paman. Well done, a smooth transfer and no hiccups.

Comment

Originally posted by paman View Post
            This is a temporary issue since the cache that was previously populated is no longer active (since we migrated servers). This behavior should be no different after the next 24 hours or so. Let me know via PM if doesn't change.
            Excellent. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by dafluff View Post
              ...However, I do not like the new "What's new?" format. I usually click on it and can see all the threads that were updated since my last visit. Now I can only see two or three threads before having to scroll down. Also posts in the same thread are not condensed.
              To get the page you want, click "new posts" on the second line directly under the "What's New" "Forum" forum header.

Comment

The only issue I have noticed (in both Firefox and Safari) is that when I click on some of the choices that should have pull-down menus, menu boxes appear but they are blank until I mouse over them. For example, if I click on "Community" I should see a menu containing: Groups, Albums, Friends & Contacts, Member list. But all I see is a blank menu with four empty boxes.

I discovered that if I scroll down through the "empty" menu, the choices appear as my mouse goes over the invisible text. So, the system is still useable. However, if you were unfamiliar with the board, it would be hard to browse the menu options to learn it better, since you can't readily see them at a glance.
                Last edited by Puspawarna; 19-08-13, 06:14.

Comment

Originally posted by pip View Post
                  To get the page you want, click "new posts" on the second line directly under the "What's New" "Forum" forum header.
                  Thank you! That is exactly what I wanted.

Comment

Faster for me too!
                    Danielle Surkatty
                    Member of the Organizing Committee
                    Living in Indonesia, A Site for Expatriates
                    https://www.expat.or.id/

Living in Indonesia Expat Forum
                    Webmaster
                    http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.org/

Comment

Originally posted by paman View Post
                      Originally posted by pip View Post
                      Hmm. Are you sure about this? It still seems the menu options have changed functionality.

The What's new with two underlying options .... and the Forum - New Posts don't give me the same as previously, like this: http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.or...archid=2204602

Could it be different when you're logged in and when not?
                      [FONT=arial black]
                      [/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by jstar View Post
                        Hmm. Are you sure about this? It still seems the menu options have changed functionality.

The What's new with two underlying options .... and the Forum - New Posts don't give me the same as previously, like this: http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.or...archid=2204602

Could it be different when you're logged in and when not?
                        With regards to the quote above yes that is how it ( "new posts") works on my laptop and browser whether logged in or not.( Just clicking What's New as before now gives the Activity Steam).

Comment

There used to be no difference between New Posts, you got the same list whether you were logged in or not. Now it has changed, you can not browse the threads which have been updated recently anymore, when you're not logged in. And that kinda sucks, esp. on a BB en route.

Here you can see what I mean:

Not logged in will only show the newly added posts:

Logged in will give all newer posts, even the threads you already looked at:

[FONT=arial black]
                          [/FONT]

Comment

Not arguing with you jstar, you get what you get, I get different, try clearing your cookies.

Comment

PS jstar, there is another possible solution for you as follows:-

While on the main forum page below the main header, you will see on the second header far right Quick Links, click on that and you will get five empty boxes logged on and two when logged off, move your mouse cursor over those boxes and you will see in one box "today's posts". click on that and I believe you will get what you want.
                              Last edited by pip; 20-08-13, 13:13. Reason: five boxes not four

Comment

Working...
                              X