Beware of scammer using Forum to collect addresses/suggest credibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beware of scammer using Forum to collect addresses/suggest credibility

Recently, one of our Indonesian members - who had posted her e-mail address in a forum message - received this e-mail:

Peaceful greetings to you, My name is Mr.Galvin Mangus I live in ft wayne Indiana US,I lost my wife months back, she left three years old boy for me so I need personal nanny for him and also house maid and a driver for my house as am working in Texas and do not return home until Friday , so I want this workers to handle my home and work together to enhance cordial relations ship within employees in my home. According to fact , I heard people from your country are the best to handle this position, am willing to pay $2700 each as salary and $150 weekly allowance . Accommodation and feeding is free provided by me if you are i need a nanny, house maid and a driver for my house as i work in Texas US and do not return home until Friday contact my email with your applications and resumes,my email is [email protected] Thanks

Luckily, the member in question was too smart to fall for the scam - when she asked some questions, "Galvin" said he got her contact information from the forum. She consulted the mod team and we have assured her this is nothing but a scam. The way it works is that he would play out the story for a while, tell her she had a job, and then SHE would have to transfer "agency fees" to a supposed placement agency that would get her a passport/visa to enter the US.

Don't let yourself be victimized by something like this! Some advice:

1. Be careful before you put your e-mail address anywhere on line (not just the forum). Automated systems trawl the internet looking for e-mail addresses that spam/scam/virus material can be sent to. If you feel the advantages outweigh the disadvantages, go ahead and do it . I do - my address is available on one or two websites - I am sure I pay a price in terms of extra junk, but it is worth it to me for the "real" emails that come in, and I trust myself to "practice safe hex." Make sure your decision to post your e-mail address in a public spot on the internet is equally considered. Alternatively, don't do it - tell people to contact you by PM, and then exchange e-mail addresses when you are corresponding in private.

2. Be VERY suspicious of offers like the one above. As a native English speaker, I can tell instantly that it is a 419-style scam, because they all sound alike; the writing style is very similar (I think everybody graduates from The Nigerian National University of Scam Artistry, which must include a course on "how to write an opening scam letter").

3. Never share personal details that could lead to identity theft, don't send photos, and never, EVER pay any money to anyone who contacts you this way.

If someone indicates that they found you through the LIIE forum, don't assume that makes them credible; it doesn't.

If you aren't sure whether something is a scam, look into it very carefully. Ask friends, post a question on an on-line forum, contact the mod team if it is related to LIIEF. Googling may or may not help you as a smart scammer will have covered his tracks fairly well. However, it is suggestive that this person gives his name as "Mangus", while "maghas" is Nigerian slang for the marks in 419 scams, and his email address is 420 (no doubt his little joke about how he is taking 419 to the next level). You can't count on finding clues like that, though.

4/20 is also National Marijuana Day in the U.S.

Comment

True - I didn't think of that one.

Comment

I can say with 99.99% certainty that any job offer for maids / drivers / other manual laborers from USA is a scam.

1. Bringing an unskilled laborer to USA (like a maid) legally is very difficult and costly. The only loophole that I know of is if a family visiting / moving to USA is bringing their maid from their home country, and the paperwork is still quite extensive.
        2. People truly looking for cheap unskilled labor (who can barely speak English) can always find an undocumented worker who already lives here. Spending a lot of money to legally get a maid from Indonesia does not make sense.

Comment

3. 90% of Americans do not employee full time household staff. They might have a housekeeper who comes in weekly to clean. They might have a nanny who comes in for the day - more likely to use daycare though. They also rarely have a driver on staff - hiring a car and driver for the day to go to an airport or the prom.

And 4. In the US, we rarely introduce ourselves with an honorific - I only did it with the children I taught.
          QUOTE: "Anybody who throws a few pieces of chicken or whatever meat they have onto a gas grill deserves what they get..."

Comment

Another clue is the opening of "Peaceful Greetings." It's possible that a naturalized citizen with a different cultural background would say that, but no born and bred American starts a letter that way.

I haven't posted all the correspondence here, but something else I noticed in the fuller set of emails I was given - he refers to himself as "Dr." in one place and "Mr." in another.

Comment

Originally posted by Puspawarna View Post
              I haven't posted all the correspondence here, but something else I noticed in the fuller set of emails I was given -
              Yep. Reading the full correspondance gave me the giggles. It reminded me 25 years ago when I've lived in Lagos, Nigeria for a short but insightful amount of time.

Comment

Originally posted by atlantis View Post
                Yep. Reading the full correspondance gave me the giggles. It reminded me 25 years ago when I've lived in Lagos, Nigeria for a short but insightful amount of time.
                No fair Puspawarna and Atlantis!!! Publish more of the good bits then!! You get all the good jobs!! LOL!!
                Things happen for a reason...

Comment

It's completely obvious to a native speaker that the email is written by a non-native speaker ('feeding is free') but that wouldn't necessarily be obvious to a non-native speaker reading it.

I heard on the BBC yesterday that 68% of all email sent last year was spam.
                  "[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica Neue]I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.[/FONT][/COLOR]"
                  George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by lantern View Post
                    It's completely obvious to a native speaker that the email is written by a non-native speaker ('feeding is free') but that wouldn't necessarily be obvious to a non-native speaker reading it.

I heard on the BBC yesterday that 68% of all email sent last year was spam.
                    OMG...68%...what a waste of everything involved...hours, electricity, storage space...imagine if all that could be channeled toward good causes!
                    Things happen for a reason...

Comment

Yeah, can't trust nobody... tonight my wife says 'Honey, give me the (tv) remote, and I will give you a kiss' - so I pass the remote to her and she just blew one of those fake kisses in my direction - scam artist!

Anyone who is fairly easily entertained can find hours worth of giggles here:

http://www.419eater.com/

Check out the Trophy Room.

- Dr / Mr Bule (born in Obomosho)
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Warden: "What we got here ... is failure to communicate."

The Dude: "Oh yeah? Well that's just, like, your opinion, man."[/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                      X