Making "friends" on this forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making "friends" on this forum

Can anyone provide an explanation of what benefits there would be with making "friends" with people on this forum? I have looked around on the site and cannot see any mention of it. (Yes I may well have overlooked it, and if so, sorry!) I can understand for things like Facebook.
    Things happen for a reason...

Can I be your friend mich? I don't have any at the moment. On a serious note, I don't know what the benefits are. But I turned down many friend requests, mainly because they look so dodgy (no post on the board but sending a friend request).

Comment

Originally posted by ponyexpress View Post
      Can I be your friend mich? I don't have any at the moment. On a serious note, I don't know what the benefits are. But I turned down many friend requests, mainly because they look so dodgy (no post on the board but sending a friend request).
      me too mich??? #puppylook
      Me likey

Comment

I don't have any either...
        You didn't appreciate/get my humour!! Would we be suitable for each other as "friends"??? LOL!!
        I'm serious when I ask though...it just doesn't seem to add anything to a public forum. Facebook...a private community...I get it.

Comment

Like I said before, it doesn't add anything. But maybe your friend can access your photo album.

Comment

...ahhh...I don't have one here...and neither is my account linked to FB.

Comment

I don't see any reason also to have friends here, who you don't know in real life. There are people on this forum who I like because they give excellent information or who I think are funny, but in real life... nah, that could be dissapointing. There's a chance that when somebody visits Batam(or I go elswhere in Indonesia), we could go out for a beer and there might be a connection, that could become a friend on here. Still, I don't see why it would be. As you said, there's FB for that. But than again, not for me as I'm not on FB.
              There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over(FZ)

Comment

I don't know...maybe I am too literal and too old fashioned...but a friend to me is someone I actually know... no offence to any who have asked to be friends...but just seems really odd and superficial (sorry that is NOT me!!), and for what?

Comment

You're right Mitch. Friends on a forum are like crackers in your office lunch box you forgot at home. They sound good but are no use to you what so ever since there is no access to them.
                  [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]Some love to milk Apostate.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by fastpitch17 View Post
                    You're right Mitch. Friends on a forum are like crackers in your office lunch box you forgot at home. They sound good but are no use to you what so ever since there is no access to them.
                    I like your analogy!! Maybe we could be friends? ...I like your humour!!
                    No...only joking!!
                    I agree...just not really my "thing"...
                    I know on FB with "younger ones" (ahem...)...it is a bit competitive as to how many "friends" one has...
                    Not sure if similar feel here that some people have?

Comment

Check this ole' thread out. You'd be surprised the ground and topics we've covered here. Alia, I think, has a thread on Friendships also.

http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.org/showthread.php/6103-Moratorium-on-Friendships?highlight=moratorium+friendships

Comment

[SIZE=3][FONT=arial]I think it was Audrey Hepburn who told Cary Grant, [COLOR=#000000] "I already know an awful lot of people; until one of them dies, I couldn't possibly meet anyone else."

If someone goes on the critical list, I'll be in touch.[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle O'Brien View Post
                          I know on FB with "younger ones" (ahem...)...it is a bit competitive as to how many "friends" one has...
                          Not sure if similar feel here that some people have?
                          Friends on Facebook make sense if you apply strict privacy settings. I have 79 friends on Facebook (a number that would be embarrassing for many a teenager) and I've met all of them. I've been an expat since 1986 and most of my Facebook friends are expats as well so it's a nice way to keep in touch and follow their movements. This forum is somewhat different as many people haven't met (?) and is more about swapping information and opinions rather than private information. Both serve a useful purpose.

I also don't understand the value of the 'Friends' function on this forum and haven't used it. I would imagine that the 'Private Message' function would suffice. I'm guessing that it's part of the forum software package?
                          "[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica Neue]I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.[/FONT][/COLOR]"
                          George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by lantern View Post
                            Friends on Facebook make sense if you apply strict privacy settings. I have 79 friends on Facebook (a number that would be embarrassing for many a teenager) and I've met all of them. I've been an expat since 1986 and most of my Facebook friends are expats as well so it's a nice way to keep in touch and follow their movements. This forum is somewhat different as many people haven't met (?) and is more about swapping information and opinions rather than private information. Both serve a useful purpose.

I also don't understand the value of the 'Friends' function on this forum and haven't used it. I would imagine that the 'Private Message' function would suffice. I'm guessing that it's part of the forum software package?
                            Pretty much as I feel.

Comment

at first when i received a friend request in this forum, i thought there would be something special/exclusive for those who agreed to be someone's friends... but there is none..
                              so i never accept any friend request.. except the ones i know in person.. and that very few.

but i have met some people in person and some of them become quite close friends to me. we hang out together, have lunch or dinner, chit chat and help each other. i got my current job because of someone in this forum....
                              dont judge a book by it cover. judge it by it price. good books are expensive

Comment

Working...
                              X