No announcement yet.

closed/deleted thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Click the little Star of David in the lower left of the post to give green points.

Comment

Originally posted by waarmstrong View Post
      Click the little Star of David in the lower left of the post to give green points.
      Ah, I see now. Thank you!
      Some speak all but know nothing, while some speak nothing but know all.

Comment

Originally posted by atlantis View Post
        The expat forum is NOT a dating site and does NOT plan to become one.
        I think that should be the message then and dispense with the debate around whether it's acceptable to choose the ethnicity of your boyfriend/girlfriend.

While reading this I was also checking out the British Telegraph newspaper and went to their dating section http://dating.telegraph.co.uk/s/a/4167 and it seems that, in multi-cultural and hyper PC Britain, it's acceptable to mention ethnicity when you profile a desired partner and they give options regarding how important the ethnicity issue is to a particular person. So for example you can state that your preferred choice is white/caucasian but that it's 'decidedly important' or 'moderately important'. I know the Brits are not the doyens of good taste (who is?) but it is another approach.

I wonder when girls come on here looking for a bule boyfriend whether it's the skin color that's the issue or the cultural baggage?
        "[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica Neue]I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.[/FONT][/COLOR]"
        George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I am sure that any reasonable person here would respect one's choice in partner regardless of color, creed, age, even gender. However, it is undeniable that there are plenty of Indonesian women (and men to a lesser extent) out there who seek to marry white foreigners to improve their economic condition and social status. Most people here find the idea of marriage for money and status distasteful, so these bule-seeking ads tend to elicit sneers. If there are too many of these, then they might actually drive people not seeking a date away from the forum.

Comment

I didn't read into the post as a bule seeking add, more perhaps just a typical young Indonesian girl with a fascination/curiosity with bule.

I think the safer bet would have been to move the post into the personals section.

BTW. Thats not to say i don't think the moderators don't do a good job, because they do, and offcourse your never going to keep everyone happy all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Nimbus View Post
              ...Most people here find the idea of marriage for money and status distasteful, so these bule-seeking ads tend to elicit sneers...
              That would certainly be a news flash, if "here" refers to Jakarta. Social climbing via marriage is certainly not sneered upon; if a sneer does cross the countenance it is probably because the solicitation is so upfront, so unJavanese.

Comment

I'm sure Nimr...err bus was referring to this forum, that's how I read it anyway.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by rabbit_39 View Post
                  I'm sure Nimr...err bus was referring to this forum, that's how I read it anyway.

Thanks!
                  -ditto-

Comment

Working...
                  X