Why Doesn't Anyone Use Their RL Pic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Doesn't Anyone Use Their RL Pic?

I'm a newbie here on this forum, but a veteran as to the internet in general.

That said, most of my experience has been on social networks like MySpace and Facebook, where the goal of most profiles is to satisfy that basic human desire of "LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME!"

Then, both here and on the Thai equivalent of livingininsonesia that I simultaneously visit, I find that no one on these forums has any interest whatsoever in posting a picture of themselves. I've been lurking these last few weeks and learned a lot, but before I follow suit and retire my mug for a Seattle Seahawks, a Wayang Kulit figure or a picture of my favorite food, I just gotta ask...

Why are you all so afraid of putting your picture and/or names on a OL forum like this?

What do you look like?

What's the worst case scenario of being REAL on this forum?

Blackmail? Losing your job? Stalked by a golddigger?

Mind you, after this post, I'm going to conform to the forum norm of a non-descript avatar pic for myself. That's what EVERYONE does, therefore, it must be the way to do things, but before I do so, I just want to ask why?`

Originally posted by Joko MacKenna View Post

What's the worst case scenario of being REAL on this forum?

Blackmail? Losing your job? Stalked by a golddigger?
    or ........... Scarring the other members so much, no one talks to you.
    [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]Some love to milk Apostate.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

Click on people's name and view the profile, many do put real photos in there.

Internet forums predate social media by far. In the old days anonymity and privacy were cherished, and as an old timer by internet standard ( I first went online in 1996) I still value them.

Comment

I think part of it is that Facebook is a place where people are trying to update their friends and family members with various life events, whereas here they are mostly just looking for information. Most of us seem to be established in some way, we often already have spouses so there's very little need to advertise ourselves on a forum that some people may use for romance. If people here do post pics, it's often of their families as a whole or interesting things they've seen in Indonesia.

Or it could just be that our forum members are uglier than the average person and thus reluctant to post their mugs. I don't post a picture here (though I have linked my Facebook account before), so interpret my statement as you see fit. :P

Comment

Sho `nuff.

Comment

You're a handsome man! Be proud of your pic!

Comment

I'm confused. Are you coming on to us? :P

Comment

In preparation for moving overseas, I had a complete physical at the doctor's office today. No, I am not coming on to anyone, but that prostate exam... That's the most action I've gotten in a year!

No one's said this to me yet, but if I were my own friend, I might accuse me of wanting to move to Thailand as part of an elaborate scheme to get laid. I would, of course, deny such accusations!

Comment

Joko, "action" is about quality and not quantity. You should find yourself a nice boy (I'm assuming that you're gay) to settle down with in Thailand. I know of one or two nice Jewish boys on Jdate who are interested in marriage.

Comment

Originally posted by DanInAceh View Post
                    I'm assuming that you're gay)
                    Why would you make that assumption? Twas just an off color joke about what happens at the doctors' office. Haven't you had your prostrate examined? If you're over 40, you should.

Furthermore, don't you remember? Yt was your recommendation that lead me to investigate the whole ATI Special Thai Program in the first place! Come April, I'll be in Phuket! We're going to be neighbors! You're responsible for my choices at this point (which I assure you, despite my attempts at humor, do not include Thai boys), I'm going to show up on your doorstep exclaiming Wassalamualaikum! What then?

Comment

My full name (and even my address) are available on the forum and on the sister site. Pics of me and my kids are also available in a few threads. My avatar is a close up of one of my tattos. This one is on the left side of my throat.

Comment

Originally posted by atlantis View Post
                        My full name (and even my address) are available on the forum and on the sister site. Pics of me and my kids are also available in a few threads. My avatar is a close up of one of my tattos. This one is on the left side of my throat.
                        I know you're a moderator and all trying to herd all of us kittens in the right direction, but c'mon, even you've got to admit that the blossoming romance between Joko and Dan was worth the side trip... C'mon boys we're, errrr, pulling for you both!

(and to the original question, generally I am just not interested in figuring out how to post photos... As you can see by my avatar.
                        QUOTE: "Anybody who throws a few pieces of chicken or whatever meat they have onto a gas grill deserves what they get..."

Comment

I don't want my in-box flooded with come-ons and ill-veiled propositions of a sexual nature.

Comment

Injun ? He is more handsome in real. That pic of his doesn't do him justice.
                            Words can inspire, thoughts can provoke, but only action can get you closer to your dreams.

Comment

*sniff*

You mock my sincerity?

*sniff*

**wipes nose on sleeve**

Fine.

Did I mention my ex-wife was Nuhuatl? Your avatar makes me all tingly.

Comment

Working...
                              X