Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where is the posting guide line of the forum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is the posting guide line of the forum?

Salutation to the forum administration

Right now I had past a line of the posting guideline in a tread.
    When I first search it, I go on the home page of the forum... I find any direct link to it.
    I need to open: Expat chat + Read first... tread + Expat forum guide line (on an other website!!!) and there I need to find which one of the 27 link was the one that I search. After open some of them I finally find what I search (The big NO-NO...).

Is it not quite big trouble for something that is suppose to be an important matter of this forum??
    The very clear rule are quite troublesome to find!

I would like to make the suggestion of creating a tread in the home page that will contain:

the text of the goal of the forum
    +
    The text of the "big NO-NO"
    +
    a direct link to the complete guideline

I believe if we want the forum user follow the rule, we must make this rule EASILY accessible.

Best regards

Phil
    La motivation vient en se motivant ~ Motivation come by self-motivation

Just look on the bottom of each pages of the forum and click on "Posting Guidelines". It leads you directly to it.

It can't be more easily accessible than being available on every page of the forum, me think.

Comment

Please, also not that EVERY paragraphs of the posting guidelines is of equal importance and not only the two you've highlighted.

Comment

Yah! I find it, inside the "copyright text" in a very very very very very small text.

Who ever read the copyright of a website?
        How a new user can understand it's importance by the place it have inside the home page?
        Why do I often read you complaining about people who are not aware of the posting guideline and you need to give them a link to it?

The reason of my choice of content (that is largely arguable) is:
        1- The goal is the reason of this forum and the base of all of is rule
        2- The big No-No are not BIG for nothing, and they have an effect on every user, thing that are not same for other rule (like spamming)

Mentioning that all other rule are as much important than the one mentioned is a great idea. ( only a lawyer can come with that )

Now that I know where is it on each page, I think it's must have a better eyesight at least on the home page of the forum.
        Eyesight that will be in accordance to the importance the administration give to it. I do believe it is not the case now.
        I have hard time to imagine a new user who will scroll down the page and read the copyright before doing any posting on the forum!

Personally, from my own case, this forum is the first that I participate, when I start to participate I had never and would have never think about read the posting guideline before start to use the forum as I didn't see it anywhere. The fact I didn't see it is directly linked to the fact that I don't read copyright of website and I don't think I'm the only one to not read them.

Comment

Common sense is a very useful tool...... IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilippeD View Post
            Personally, from my own case, this forum is the first that I participate, when I start to participate I had never and would have never think about read the posting guideline before start to use the forum as I didn't see it anywhere. The fact I didn't see it is directly linked to the fact that I don't read copyright of website and I don't think I'm the only one to not read them.
            Well, it shows that you and me are different. When I sign any document I read it, try to understand it and its importance and memorize the fact that I've signed it showing by this that I've agreed with it.

When any (meaning including you) user registers/has registered in order to proceed he can't avoid to read this, which is to be found on the registration page:

[COLOR=#3E3E3E]Forum Rules[/COLOR]
            [COLOR=#3E3E3E]Registration to this forum is free! We do insist that you abide by the Posting Guidelines and policies detailed below. If you agree to the terms, please check the 'I agree' checkbox and press the 'Complete Registration' button below. If you would like to cancel the registration, click here to return to the forums index.[/COLOR]
            [COLOR=#3E3E3E]Although the administrators and moderators of Living In Indonesia Expat Forum will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this site, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of Living In Indonesia Expat Forum, nor vBulletin Solutions, Inc. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message.[/COLOR]
            [COLOR=#3E3E3E]By agreeing to these Posting Guidelines, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.[/COLOR]
            [COLOR=#3E3E3E]The owners of Living In Indonesia Expat Forum reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any content item for any reason.

You will notice that you can decide not to agree and a link is also included for you to cancel your registration. If the user decides that you agree after having read the posting guidelines, the user has to tick a small box in order to process his registration where it's written:

I have read, and agree to abide by the Living In Indonesia Expat Forum Posting Guidelines.

Then only can he submits his/her registration form. No less than three links are offered to him/her, just in the registration form and you want to tell me that the Posting Guidelines are unavailable to new users??? You must be pulling my leg, PhilippeD.
            And wait, it isn't finished I even think that one receives again the link to the PG in the email sent before the final registration (I haven't checked). Only a total nutcase would be able to miss the Posting Guidelines.

Not only then it's available on each pages, it is also available in a sticky in quite a few channels, in a thread which mentions : READ FIRST - Posting Guidelines.

The core of the post says
            :
            [COLOR=#333333]
            Anyone intending to post in the Expat Forum should read the [/COLOR]Posting Guidelines[COLOR=#333333] of our forum.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#333333]If you are not sure if your posting is welcome, please contact by PM [/COLOR]wm[COLOR=#333333], [/COLOR]paman[COLOR=#333333] or [/COLOR]me[COLOR=#333333]. We will let you know.[/COLOR]

You won't fail to notice that another link to the PG is provided.

I have a question for you, P:
            When you first came to Indonesia (or when you are back to Canada), were the Civil code and Penal code given to you?
            I guess not. Yet you knew there was rules and you have taken the time to look for them. Here, in this forum, it's much better we've been giving you at least three copies of it (see above) before you even step foot in it. YOU have decided to disregard these copies provided to you and ticked the small box I highlighted above without taking the time to read our rules as it was suggested to you. It's enough for me to say that, should you be in trouble with us mods, YOU and only YOU is responsible for your ordeal.

The jobs of mods is certainly not to remind users the rules. Users are supposed to know them from the beginning and have agreed to respect them. NO, I don't cry for those who have been in trouble for their own negligence. I am not here to nurse people. Neither wm, pony or mas rob are I believe.

Common sense is a very useful tool. Nice sentence by the way, Davita. Short and to the point. I wouldn't have said better. [/COLOR]
            Last edited by atlantis; 25-02-12, 14:12.

Comment

Yah! It would be nice if everyone have the same common sense!

I was just commenting that I was surprise to not find at least a link with an easy eyesight to the posting guide line, not even under the "quick link".

Your lawyer background make you told me "it's write somewhere on every page" and they have been advise on their first day when they sign in.
              On the same way, my manager background make me say: If you want people follow a goal, you must make it very easily accessible, on a eyesight and not be afraid to repeat it. People have a very short memory.

[COLOR=#3E3E3E]The jobs of mods is certainly not to remind users the rules:[/COLOR][COLOR=#3E3E3E] By[/COLOR] making a tread on the first page, just seeing the title will be enough for refresh their memory of it's content and by this way, I hope, reduce the need to constantly remembering it.
              [COLOR=#3E3E3E]Users are supposed to know them from the beginning and have agreed to respect them.[/COLOR] Yah! they suppose to...
              [COLOR=#3E3E3E]NO, I don't cry for those who have been in trouble for their own negligence.[/COLOR] Me neither, we must NOT give them a second chance as they SUPPOSE to know the rule.
              [COLOR=#3E3E3E]I am not here to nurse people. Neither wm, pony or mas rob are I believe.[/COLOR] I just hope someone have a sense of nursing toward the forum itself and is willing listen suggestion for improvement.

My suggestion and comment are not about how enforce the rule but how communicate them. I had send my suggestion to the forum administration as I do believe it's a matter of forum management (communication) and that have nothing to do about how to moderate it. I hope it can have an effect on the amount of moderation the forum will required.

But still, it's a suggestion, you are welcome to forget about it.

Thanks for take your time for read me.

Phil

Comment

Originally posted by PhilippeD View Post
                Your lawyer background make you told me
                My lawyer background???
                FYI, I've been managing companies I own for the past 20 years or so and none has/had anything to do with Law.

Comment

Originally posted by atlantis View Post
                  My lawyer background???
                  FYI, I've been managing companies I own for the past 20 years or so and none has/had anything to do with Law.
                  Yah! it's exactly why my suggestion is of no interest at all.

Comment

PhillipeD - 125 views of this thread and you are the only poster who seems concerned. Conclusion? Little/no support for your suggestion by forum users.

Comment

Originally posted by john madden View Post
                      PhillipeD - 125 views of this thread and you are the only poster who seems concerned. Conclusion? Little/no support for your suggestion by forum users.
                      Ooh! really! I didn't realize!

I'm sorry, next time I will start a tread about LV bag, it seem very more popular and attract way more poster.

Not even a thanks for posting a suggestion, only bickering about it. They must not be welcome.

Really last time I do that here! and the 125 other who read it must have understand same!

Comment

Poor Phillippe! With all due respect to the greatly revered Atlantis, I am going to step up with a little support for your observations. Yes, it is true that the posting guidelines appear at the bottom of the page. But it is also true that the type is [SIZE=1]very tiny[/SIZE]. It took me a few minutes to find the link when I went to look. So don't feel bad.[SIZE=1]

[/SIZE]

Comment

Felip.. I have read your OP twice.. and I am sorry.. i do not get what you are trying to suggest. Do you want everyone to read the guidelines first before posting, signed an agreement or what?..

Comment

Now.. I understand.. thanks Puspa!

Comment

My forum page has the following at the bottom of each page under posting permission....

[COLOR="#008080"]BB code [/COLOR]is On
                              [COLOR="#008080"]Smilies[/COLOR] are On
                              [COLOR="#008080"][IMG][COLOR="#008080"][/COLOR][/COLOR] code is On
                              HTML code is Off

[COLOR="#0000CD"]Forum Rules[/COLOR]

This takes the reader to the comprehensive rules regarding the forum and very useful guidance on how to post etc.

This is in addition to the tiny [SIZE=1]forum guidelines[/SIZE] further down under 'copyright.'

Suffice for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X