Yellow stars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yellow stars

Curious about the yellow stars next to a thread. What do they mean? Is it a form of recommendation as regards to the relevance of a thread? How are they generated - no. of pages, replies, views, etc? I see them next to 'stickies' (forum rules - must read before posting), a given, but then I also see them next to threads that make me wonder....why?

It's a rating given by any user. You can rate a thread, as I can do so. For this, just locate the "rate this thread" button on the right top corner of the first post of the page and give your rating. It doesn't mean that a thread is interesting, informative, funny or whatever, it is just a rating given by one or several users. It has about the same value as the reputation feature.

Comment

Thanks Atlantis. As Red/Green brick is to a user, it's stars to a thread. Got it.

Comment

Yep - totally subjective and subject to abuse.

Comment

Originally posted by john madden View Post
          The bricks you mean, not the stars, right? I must admit that regardless of what posters say about being thrown a red brick, whether they're bothered by it or not, becomes a red flag to me.

Anyway, this has been discussed many times here in many unrelated threads that eventually ended in the thread's closure. Sensitive topic for many, so I will not speculate on the motives behind the brick throwing in general.

The stars on the other hand is a positive thing. I may not understand why some topics are accorded such by posters themselves (maybe by OP), but positive nevertheless.

Speaking of which, how many times can a poster rate a particular thread? if only once, does it register only 1 star per poster rating or like bricks that registers more than one?

Comment

Originally posted by john madden View Post
            sore point madden ?

Comment

Okay, stars accorded this thread, although not by me. Thread being irrelevant in the bigger scheme of things in this forum....point taken cheers.

Comment

A user can only award stars to each thread once, and cannot change their mind/vote.

A user can award as many threads as he wants everyday.

Comment

Originally posted by kingwilly View Post
                  sore point madden ?
                  Not at all KW, not at all. Just an avid observer of human nature, my own included.

Comment

Working...
                  X