Characteristic of a Troll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Characteristic of a Troll

This is search for meaning. What goes through the mind of a person as they prepare to up-chuck a vial stream of shouted hate directed at the host country, its people, and Forum members quick to the defense? What's the point?

To be specific, Mr. and Mrs. Shafaet senior must surely be proud of the sensitive, perceptive and empathetic child they loosed on the world. Seriously, I just don't get it. Clinically speaking what is the recipe for the cooking up a troll?

Its might be easy to simply write Shafaet off as deranged, but still the running rant seemed to be purposeful, and I mean more that just venting. I cannot put my finger on it, though. Any thoughts?

That's one of the eternal questions (or at least eternal since the Internet started). Recently a study claimed that trolls who refuse to follow the rules actually serve some kind of evolutionary purpose (looking at evolution from a societal rather than individual standpoint). Supposedly trolls are merely modern-day pranksters that shake things up a bit, in a good way, by making people think outside the box.

I'd link to the study for you if I could, but my Google-fu is inadequate today.

Anyway, I don't particularly agree with the hypothesis. Still, trolls CAN be fun, and they can be a bonding experience for the rest of us. I have warm feelings (no pun intended!) toward all the other non-troll posters who shared in the mocking of shafaet earlier today. So perhaps shafaet is good, in a funny sort of way, for the rest of us. But the actual person out there being a troll? Ugh, I don't think I would want to know him.

Comment

Do I sound like troll too??
      " Lemme get this straight. Killing one person is a murder, but killing a hundred thousand is a foreign policy ?"

Comment

I dont think there is a meaning ........., its probably just a couple of teens sitting in a room cracking themselves laughing while they get all the forum members up in arms ..., like a modern day version of the pranksters who would wrap up dogs poo in newspaper and set fire to it outside someones front door . Then they'll ring the doorbell and run away to hide ..., but watch and laugh while hidden nearby as the homeowner steps on the poo when stamping out the flames .
        Theyll be on another forum now doing the same thing is my guess ....,
        Last edited by davobali; 29-12-11, 19:50.

Comment

Some members get under my skin now and then (as I imagine I do to others) but not to the point of hating the poster holding a view with which I disagree. In fact, encountering someone so ogerific as Shafaet tends to put everyone on a higher plain, to trivialize differences. Perspective is good even when prompted by outlandish behavior.

Still wondering what makes a person feel justified in machine-gunning the Forum with vile comments and personally directed epithets?
          Last edited by waarmstrong; 29-12-11, 20:26.

Comment

Aww, I missed the fireworks.

I don't worry too much about trolls, they're simply jackasses trying to have fun at other people's expense. What's more troubling is if the guy actually believes in the crap he spouts.

Comment

Originally posted by waarmstrong View Post
              Some members get under my skin now and then (as I imagine I do to others) but not to the point of hating the poster holding a view with which I disagree. In fact, encountering someone so ogerific as Shafaet tends to put everyone on a higher plain, to trivialize differences. Perspective is good even when prompted by outlandish behavior.

Still wondering what makes a person feel justified in machine-gunning the Forum with vile comments and personally directed epithets?
              Unfortunately some people don't need any special reason to be malignant.

Comment

The guy is sick and refuses to believe he is, look at how he could shift from lunacy to apology and on and on. Prepare your troll welcome greeting, folks.

Comment

Originally posted by Kratos View Post
                  Do I sound like troll too??
                  Not everyone who is fun to have around as a foil is a troll, Krats. You would be exhibit A in evidence supporting that proposition.

Comment

Originally posted by ricky_id View Post
                    The guy is sick and refuses to believe he is, look at how he could shift from lunacy to apology and on and on. Prepare your troll welcome greeting, folks.
                    That's one explanation. The manic shifts could also arise from a team effort. As suggested earlier, this troll could be the work of a group of juvenile minds.

Comment

...have I missed something?
                      Cicak Magnet

Comment

It was fun while it lasted but some of my best troll acronyms have gone along with the original post.

Comment

The end result reinforces my opinion that threads and posts should not be deleted. In this case, the initial anger changed to an almost humorous attack. We are (mostly) adults here and I continue to think that posts should remain if for no other reason an accurate history of the forum. Permanent ban, of course, but let the record stand on this and everyone else.

Comment

I wonder what happens to the rep points I gave out in that thread? I assume people get to keep them, but if they click to see the post that generated the rep, they'll just see some kind of vBulletin message?

Badazz, you missed a particularly ill-tempered troll who started a thread snarling at how Indonesia is a "s**thole." He was short on details (as well as punctuation and spelling) but claimed to be a British guy (of mixed Irish-Pakistani descent) married to an Indonesian woman in Bandung. He made several references to the wealth and prominence of his family back in England. He told us, in aggressive, provocative and rather illiterate terms, how he hated the heat and being stared at as a "bulay." A number of posters, including bow-chicka-wow-wow, Alia, john madden, warmie, and others, gathered to jeer, mock, and assure him that his brand of vitriol was not welcome. He was mostly in "f you" mode but every 5 posts or so he'd post something sort of repentant along the lines of "sorry guys i am jsut depressed but i feel better now just cant stand how this country sux".

We got up to around 120 posts and who knows how many mod reports (I reported him and I'm sure many other posters did too) within about 2 hours, and then the thread went *poof.*

So that's what you missed! Good times, but nothing that won't happen a million times more ...
                            Last edited by Puspawarna; 30-12-11, 07:09.

Comment

@pusp... ahhh ssdd then hehehe
                              Cicak Magnet

Comment

Working...
                              X