Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"what's in a name?" the story behind your username

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • "what's in a name?" the story behind your username

    Do you have any story or reason behind your username?
    Why did you choose your username? Anything special behind it?

    I know some use part or abbreviation of their real name, but many dont. What about sharing the story behind your username here?

    I start first. Carrot Cake is my favorite cake that is made from the veg i hate most, and now become one of my signature desserts.
    Always try to be modest. And be damn proud of it!

  • #2
    Originally posted by Carrot Cake View Post
    Do you have any story or reason behind your username?
    Why did you choose your username? Anything special behind it?

    I know some use part or abbreviation of their real name, but many dont. What about sharing the story behind your username here?

    I start first. Carrot Cake is my favorite cake that is made from the veg i hate most, and now become one of my signature desserts.
    I work in ultra Hi voltages , I call it bigvolt work, there you are.

    Comment


    • #3
      Back when AOL was "the only" ISP in town I had to pick a user name for my email/IM. Had a cartoon gecko keychain that I bought in Bali on my high school's senior trip there so I used that since it was "unique" in the US at the time.

      Yes, I've been using this username for ages. Yes, I'm too lazy and too un-creative to come up with a new one =)

      Comment


      • #4
        My real name is William King.

        Comment


        • #5
          Timotheus - Timothy - Timo - Tim where the options that I considered.
          I ended up with Timotheus, that is ... actually Timotheos is a greek name meaning "honouring God". I don't think it describes my personality in any way but I just chose it because it is more distinct that other forms of my first name, originally Timo, now Tim. A former boss of mine used to call me by that name and shortly before registering here I had a Facebook conversation with her, so that may actually have been the actual, though, unconscious reason for my choice.
          And I even didn't check whether my preferred choice Tim was still available or nor ;D But anyway I want to be called Tim ...

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by kingwilly View Post
            My real name is William King.
            Cool I never would have guessed !

            Comment


            • #7
              Me and the missus, go figure ( Funny thing is most people expect me to be Korean, and the Finnish think Mika is a mans name )
              [FONT=Verdana]As a stranger give it welcome.
              There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
              Than are dreamt of in your philosophy
              [/FONT]

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by bigvolt View Post
                Cool I never would have guessed !
                Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by kim& mika View Post
                  Me and the missus, go figure ( Funny thing is most people expect me to be Korean, and the Finnish think Mika is a mans name )
                  I have confession to make. Before we know each other, I thought Kim is your Korean/Japanese wife and Mika is your name. LOL.
                  Always try to be modest. And be damn proud of it!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by kim& mika View Post
                    Me and the missus, go figure ( Funny thing is most people expect me to be Korean, and the Finnish think Mika is a mans name )
                    True in Finland, Mika is male name, shortened from Mikael (Michael). Kim can also be a male name in Finland, especially amongst the Swedish-speaking population. It is shortened from Joakim (or Kimbal). Yes, more known from of the same Finnish male name is Kimi. Those names can be given to a female also, but Mika is dominantly given to males only.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      No names to protect the innoncent was what my English teacher from NZ liked to say when my classmates and I handed in work without any name on it. Felt it provided me with a degree of anonymity and so I've been using it for more than 16 years Of course when I was younger and more l33t, it was n0n4m3
                      I'm fully devoted to my job. 10% on Mon, 20% on Tue, 40% on Wed, 25% on Thurs and 5% on Fri.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Timotheus View Post
                        True in Finland, Mika is male name, shortened from Mikael (Michael). Kim can also be a male name in Finland, especially amongst the Swedish-speaking population. It is shortened from Joakim (or Kimbal). Yes, more known from of the same Finnish male name is Kimi. Those names can be given to a female also, but Mika is dominantly given to males only.
                        Mika exclusively Female in Japanese, Kim I know can be both in Scandinavia, in UK, usually a female name, ( although not always as I can attest ) or quite commonly a dog ( Thanks dad )
                        [FONT=Verdana]As a stranger give it welcome.
                        There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
                        Than are dreamt of in your philosophy
                        [/FONT]

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Several years ago, I was teaching the Director General of Taxes (the Spanish title is too long!) in Madrid Spain. He once jokingly asked me if I had submitted my tax return, and I responded by telling him that I had no money and in fact was in the 'red', so there was nothing to declare. We spent the rest of that class with him showing me on his computer how much the tax department actually knew about you... or could actually find out about you using only your identification code in the system. It was really scary!!!! My user name was my identification code in that system. BTW, he was the only one with 100% access to all the info, and access was tightly controlled by degrees all the way down to basic level, so (he reassured me) it was all very secure.... but scary anyway!!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Was at snow bay shirtless and a little chinese girl pointed at the hair on my chest and ran into her mothers arms yelling monyet something .

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Chewy View Post
                              Was at snow bay shirtless and a little chinese girl pointed at the hair on my chest and ran into her mothers arms yelling monyet something .

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X