Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do foreigners get preferential treatment in JKT?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by waarmstrong View Post
    A sense of entitlement based on religious affinity, I find objectionable. It would be preferable, as well, that points made without resorting to ethnic slurs.
    No one made an ethnic slur. If your refering to me, all I said was mainland Chinese. That's not an ethnic slur. I have zero problem with someones ethnicity, even Ahok's. I could careless if someone is Chinese. All that matters is if you treat me with common respect and you will get it back.

To answer the question I would agree with Saifislam. All depends what kind of foreigner you are and if that specific person or town has an issue with you.

Lastly in Indonesia it's pretty hard to look at someone and know if they arr Muslim. Everyone pretty much dresses the same and everyone could be Christian or Muslim. So it's not right to assume someone religion based off their name or appearance, atleast in Indonesia. My point is it's hard to have a religious affinity towards people in public here. Just on my small street of maybe 18 houses. There are 4 Muslim converts. 1 Indonesian, 1 Chinese family, me and than a Canadian married to Indonesian. The whole complex is like this. If you can't identify someone religiously it's hard to have an affinity with them. Affinity is a natural thing anyways. I think you mean more a bias.

Comment

The title of this thread , Do foreigners get preferential treatment in JKT?

This thread is now way off topic , peoples relative beliefs have no place here .

Comment

Originally posted by tel522 View Post
        The title of this thread , Do foreigners get preferential treatment in JKT?

This thread is now way off topic , peoples relative beliefs have no place here .
        Maybe others shouldn't claim others are being racist than. We wouldn't have to go off topic if people just remained respectful.

To answer this question you do have to differentiate between where someone is from and what someone believes. This plays a role in how a foreigner will be treated here outside of Jakarta atleast.

Comment

I think many are forgetting which country you are referring to. I certainly do not think many foreigners from western countries would dare make such veiled anti religion comments off of this board out in public to a native. This is pretty sickening considering many of the counties expats come from are activily banning hijab and niqab, closing place of worship, when they are not busy invading.. and not even mentioning horrible things i have seen here members referring to the good native population in extremely negative ways on this site. Many expats come to indonesia to be in a good iman and around other muslims. Not to drink, party and whine about locals and say horrible things about girls . I could not care less what a westerner thinks. I do not even talk to them. I saw enough in north africa to last a lifetime.
          Last edited by Saifislam; 4 weeks ago. Reason: Sp

Comment

Of course I do not object to those who have chosen Islam or chosen Christianity, or any religion for that matter. This thread is about the granting of undeserved preferential treatment based on attributes unrelated to the circumstances at hand.

I do find it a deviation from the tenants of most faiths, including Islam, to expect preferential treatment because of one's religion. That is no less objectionable than assuming its OK to butt in line when the persons in line are of a different ethnicity, say Chinese, for example. The original question dealt with the attribute of being foreign, but my reasoning applies not only to those who look like bules, it holds for those in Muslim dress, and when those in line appear to be mainland Chinese.

Comment

I totally agree with you Waarmstrong !

Comment

Of course I do not object to those who have chosen Islam or chosen Christianity, or any religion for that matter. This thread is about the granting of undeserved preferential treatment based on attributes unrelated to the circumstances at hand.

I do find it a deviation from the tenants of most faiths, including Islam, to expect preferential treatment because of one's religion. That is no less objectionable than assuming its OK to butt in line when the persons in line are of a different ethnicity, say Chinese, for example. The original question dealt with the attribute of being foreign, but my reasoning applies not only to those who look like bules, it holds for those in Muslim dress, and when those in line appear to be mainland Chinese.
                You make false assumptions. Nobody butts in line, but you are making it into that context. This is not the west. You do not have a right to expect the same treatment just as Muslims in the west do not get the same treatment. So difficult for many to understand. You cannot persecute others , then move to another country and demand equal treatment. The world does not favor one culture over another..be thankful with the respect you get. I as a Muslim am not going to treat you like a Muslim, because you are not. Simple as that. I'm not going to invite you for Salah magrib because you are not Muslim.

Comment

This thread has nothing to do with religion .

just to remind you the thread title ,

Comment

This is not a secular country, but it is mentioned in the constitution loosely. you cannot simply take religion out context with the original question. You must declare a religion here...the official religions are all tolerated. .you cannot simply ignore reality This. is not the west. There are many other places to live.

Comment

Let's put it another way. You have no right as a foreigner with zero cultural ties to demand equal or preferential treatment. That is a colonialist mindset. Indonesia struggled for decades against colonial occupation. Seems that same mindset amongst guests still persists.

Comment

The original thread title was quite clear ,I think ,

Comment

The original thread title was quite clear ,I think ,

As a Muslim can legally have a 3rd wife if I wish.

Can you?

​​​​​​That statement speaks for itself, and demonstrates why you cannot keep religion separate from the topic no matter how much you try.

There is preferential treatment for some, depending on declared religion, and nothing can change that..

If you can dispute that, then be my guest and try.

There are probably things I cannot legally do that others can. I'm not going to complain about it.

​​​​​Accept it and move on.

Comment

I think this thread is off topic and should be closed . note to admin.

Comment

Originally posted by Saifislam View Post

You make false assumptions. Nobody butts in line, but you are making it into that context. This is not the west. You do not have a right to expect the same treatment just as Muslims in the west do not get the same treatment. So difficult for many to understand. You cannot persecute others , then move to another country and demand equal treatment. The world does not favor one culture over another..be thankful with the respect you get. I as a Muslim am not going to treat you like a Muslim, because you are not. Simple as that. I'm not going to invite you for Salah magrib because you are not Muslim.
                              Your presumption that I am not Muslim, colored by a hatred for Western cultures it appears, is incorrect.

Comment

Your presumption that I am not Muslim, colored by a hatred for Western cultures it appears, is incorrect.
                                Taking shahada to get married and then mocking joking about it elsewhere publicly is a serious transgression only Allah can judge if you are... I won't.

Comment

Working...
                                X