Nissan Livina: Is there better value?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nissan Livina: Is there better value?

If we manage to sell our 1994 Mitsubishi Lancer GLX (anyone interested?), we might be in the market for a small, utilitarian, no-frills hatchback for every-day driving. So far my search points to the 1.5L Nissan Livina (Rp$169million on-the-road in Jakarta) as the top candidate, offering the most value. The other candidates are the Daihatsu Sirion and the Suzuki Swift. Any thoughts, insights or opinions?
    Last edited by Mauricio; 24-05-09, 18:31.

what's your first offer for the lancer? i might be interested.

Comment

Yaris, As Well

For reliability, durability, economy of operation, and resale value, as well as competitive pricing, I am a long-time Toyota fan. In addition to those mentioned, I would also be considering Toyota's entry in this class, the Yaris.

Comment

According to my research and evaluation, the Livina offers better value than the Yaris. In the Toyota line-up, I would first buy a Rush* than a Yaris, but the Rush is $30 juta more, and its only advantages over a Livina is 1.5cm more of ground clearance and a little more cargo space.

* I used to own a Rush, but sold it to finance the purchase of the Navara

Comment

[quote=Mauricio;27407]According to my research and evaluation, the Livina offers better value than the Yaris. [quote]

On the assumption I would prove you wrong, Mauricio, I consulted my car bible, Consumer Report which does extensive annual testing and maintains repair history data on most models. I was surprised to find that US version of the Yaris is on the magazine's 10 worst list. Although many of its models are still at or near the top of their classes, it seems that Toyota has been slipping lately and their cars cannot be assumed to be good simply because they carry the Toyota name plate.

Comment

My evaluation of value between the Livina and the Yaris had little to do with real or perceived reliability. My evaluation was simply that you get, more or less, the same thing with Livina as with a Yaris, but the Livina is costs less. The more and more I evaluate, the more I am growing convinced that the Livina may be it.

Here's a recent discussion regarding the reliability of Toyota vs. Nissan on another forum dealing with expedition vehicles:
            http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ad.php?t=27228
            Last edited by Mauricio; 26-05-09, 15:51.

Comment

Originally posted by Mauricio View Post
              My evaluation was simply that you get, more or less, the same thing with Livina as with a Yaris, but the Livina is costs less.
              Here's a recent discussion regarding the reliability of Toyota vs. Nissan on another forum dealing with expedition vehicles:
              http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ad.php?t=27228
              Among other criteria (safety, ride, ergonomics, fit and finish), the Consumer Report economic analysis looks beyond the initial purchase cost to determine value based on the operating and likely repair costs over time as well as the cost of buying the vehicle and its eventual resale value. The per mile cost to own a Toyota has for many years been among the lowest in class. I give their analysis great weight. I will steer clear of the Yaris not because its initial cost is higher, but because the comparative data says it does not measure up over the long term.

The expeditionportal discussion is interesting, but still all anecdotal.

Comment

So, in the Indonesian market, what would you chose over the Livina?

Comment

So, in the Indonesian market, what would you chose over the Livina?
                  I'll have to get back to you on that. Buying a car is a tortured drawn out process that I don't put myself through unless the need arises. I think all the models you mentioned would be on my initial list, as well as perhaps the Hyundai in the small car class (Accent?) and the Honda Jazz. If you decide on the Livina, I hope you will keep the Forum updated so we can all factor your experience into our future buying decisions.

Comment

The Jazz is Rp$27 million more. IMO, Hyundai is not in the same league.

Comment

I am trying to persuade my wife to get the Livina, better ride for indonesian roads, and torquier engine for the hills.

She like the Yaris top off the line, which is almost 30jt more than the Livina XR.

Note: Lowest Yaris type J is slightly less than Livina XR m/t.

My only concern on the Livina would be the lack of passive safety features such as ABS, Airbags etc.

Comment

The Yaris is Rp$174 million OTR, and the Livina is Rp$169 million. For me, so far, the Livina is the top contender, the one to beat...

Comment

The Yaris is Rp$174 million OTR, and the Livina is Rp$169 million. For me, so far, the Livina is the top contender, the one to beat...
                          Sorry, I stand corrected. My wife is looking at the A/T, my bad.

Comment

The Sirion is rather cute. Probably the closest thing to a Mini. It also gets 21 kilometers to the liter, meaning that from Ubud I can go to Ngurah Rai airport and back for less than $2 worth of gas!

Last edited by Mauricio; 13-06-09, 03:16.

Comment

Hi M, for what you are looking for, I think the Sirion is a good choice, good looker. My concern for our needs would be the smaller displacement and a rather bumpier ride than the livina has to offer.

FYI, the picture you posted is not the indo spec Sirion AFAIK.

Comment

Working...
                              X