Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shipping furniture within Indonesia

Hi all,

I was wondering what options there are to ship a few pieces of furniture (beds, cupboards) from kampung to kampung between, in this case, West Sumatra and Bali? I have no idea if it is possible (especially door-to-door) and if the price would make this a worthy option (for, let's say, 3 wooden beds and 3 wooden cupboards + a few pieces of other things worth around 10-15 jt).

I doesn't need to be a quick shipping.

Thanks,
    Chris

I have had items shipped from Jepara, Yogyakarta and Nganjuk in East Java, all to Jakarta and most in one of the ubiquitous yellow trucks that ply the Java roads. The arrangements have usually been made at the origin, so I am not tuned into how you might negotiate the particular including the price for a long haul. I can say that the cost has usually been surprisingly low. We have arranged local day-trip transport (Bogor to Jakarta, for example) for single pieces of used furniture. My Indonesian relatives usually make the deal before the guy realizes its for a bule -- so again, the price is relatively low.

The key to getting things shipped without damage is packing and protecting the piece extraordinarily well before it goes on the truck. If its a long distance I would highly recommend that the item be crated after being packaged with the usual cardboard.

Comment

Thanks for your reply waarm. I guess shipping within Java is indeed easier to organize. If anyone has shipping experiences between more distant places thanks for sharing!

Comment

Looks like the cost for renting a boxed truck from let's say Padang to Denpasar plus packing will be close to the cargo value, could be more. That's not a common route for local truckers. Even if they say they could do it, most probably the cargo will be delivered to Jakarta then moved to another truck heading to Bali. Damage possibility would be high due to the handling and truck will be loaded with other cargoes as well.
        Have any of you ever seen another sponge, starfish and squid anywhere near Spongebob, Patrick, Squidward???

Comment

Yes, agree with Strat, the truck will be loaded to the gills, likely making many unloading and reloading stops along the way, and will probably double as a people carrier, as well. To have any chance of arriving undamaged, your goods will need to be crated. Good luck.

Comment

Thanks for your replies and advices. I agree with them. Not sure this is gonna be possible.

Comment

We send our furniture products from Surabaya to Jakarta, in one medium truck for Rp. 3,3 juta. Door to door.

If its to other islands say like Surabaya to Palu, we often use container since it will be a lot more items to fill the whole project, 20 feet size of container for Rp. 8 juta.

However there are also expedition companies that will calculate your furniture based on its weight though volume will be more likely. Last time we sent some doors and door frames to Balikpapan and they priced it based on its weight. Very cheap, Rp. 2.500 / kilo. The cheapest we've used, while others will be around Rp. 4.500,- And it took only 4 days, this depend on the ship schedule though.
              Words can inspire, thoughts can provoke, but only action can get you closer to your dreams.

Comment

I doubt Kelly's Express has this service outside Jakarta but you can check with the owner of Kelly's Express, Pak Rajah, his mobile number is 0811.177.1944

This is our expereince just lately with Santa Fe and Kelly's Express, quite a big difference in price.

We recently had to do a temporary move for 2 or 3 months and asked 2 moving companies for quotes. The move distance was approximately 6 kms between the 2 houses.

Kelly's Express and Santa Fe both here in Jakarta

I gave the same exact details to each company

Kelly's Express quoted 22,200,000 million

Santa Fe quoted 44 or 45 million (sorry I do not remember the exact number because I paid little attention to it after I saw the 4 in the number.

I had never used either mover in the past but was quite impressed with Kelly's and the way they packed, built and completely covered all furniture with cardboard shells as if you were doing an international move country to country. But as I said thismove was only 6 kms apart and they were very professional moving appx. 92 cubic meters of furniture and goods all in one day and came back the next day to put it all exactly where SWMBO wanted it.

I can also say that even though both companies offered a 2.5% fee for insurance coverage of appx. 1.5 billion in goods I did check with Allianz and they provided the same coverage for 1.5% of the stated replacement value.

Comment

Originally posted by Alia View Post
                  We send our furniture products from Surabaya to Jakarta, in one medium truck for Rp. 3,3 juta. Door to door.

If its to other islands say like Surabaya to Palu, we often use container since it will be a lot more items to fill the whole project, 20 feet size of container for Rp. 8 juta.

However there are also expedition companies that will calculate your furniture based on its weight though volume will be more likely. Last time we sent some doors and door frames to Balikpapan and they priced it based on its weight. Very cheap, Rp. 2.500 / kilo. The cheapest we've used, while others will be around Rp. 4.500,- And it took only 4 days, this depend on the ship schedule though.
                  Thanks Alia and Asi for your answers.

Alia, would you mind giving me some contact details of the company you used to ship from Surabaya to Balikpapan? Or is it a Surabaya-based company maybe?

Comment

No, I dont mind at all if that could be any of help. But yeah.., they are Surabaya based companies. So I'm afraid wont help you much. Sorry about that. Was thinking that the amount we paid for can give you some ballpark figure.

Anyway a little tips. Many shipping company will based or having their offices near harbor. If you have yellow pages of the city in West Sumatra where the goods located, probably it will be a start. Or dial 108 ask for any shipping companies in the city and make some calls.

Good luck.
                    Words can inspire, thoughts can provoke, but only action can get you closer to your dreams.

Comment

Ok thanks a lot!

Comment

u can use a trusted logistic service last time i used logistic service from d person's workshop in Jepara, but from my experience u can use another logistic, i used to use their service a lot to send textiles from java to other island

Comment

Working...
                        X