Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gempa bumi - Earthquake Aceh, Sumatra Utara. Today, 8,9 SR!.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gempa bumi - Earthquake Aceh, Sumatra Utara. Today, 8,9 SR!.

It seems that an earthquake has occured/is occring in Aceh at the moment. 8,5 to 8,9 on the Richter scale and berpotensi tsunami. Anyone has news? It happened at 15:38 WIB today.

There is still no news on TV and it's a tweet from Republika online.

[COLOR=#333333][FONT=HelveticaNeue]http://twitter.com/#!/search/ROLintas?q=ROLintas[/FONT][/COLOR]
    Last edited by atlantis; 11-04-12, 15:59.

Oops, just started a thread without seeing yours. Will delete mine.

Tsunami warnings here:

http://ptwc.weather.gov/

Comment

I also just heard but not much other information at the moment, just a lot of scared people.
      [COLOR=#ff0000]Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds[/COLOR]. Albert Einstein

Comment

They are now calling it 8.7, though all these early measures are subject to revision.

Link to USGS website, for those 5 members who don't already bookmark it:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/

Comment

BBC calling it as an initial 8.9. India has also issued an alert.
          "[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica Neue]I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.[/FONT][/COLOR]"
          George Bernard Shaw

Comment

please take care guyz.... hope everybody is fine! Ive hear a news here in the philippines....
            Last edited by fbaflorencio; 11-04-12, 16:32.

Comment

Felt it in Bangladesh - take care all you good people
              [FONT=Verdana]As a stranger give it welcome.
              There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
              Than are dreamt of in your philosophy
              [/FONT]

Comment

According to the US Geological Survey, initial analysis suggests that it won't generate a tsunami.
                "[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica Neue]I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.[/FONT][/COLOR]"
                George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by lantern View Post
                  According to the US Geological Survey, initial analysis suggests that it won't generate a tsunami.
                  Thats great news, hope they are right
                  [COLOR=#ff0000]Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds[/COLOR]. Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by lantern View Post
                    Both locally and regionally? I hope that's right. The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center that I linked to earlier is still showing high risk, but they haven't updated in a while. Hopefully USGS is ahead of them.

Comment

Originally posted by jim69 View Post
                      Thats great news, hope they are right
                      Just listening to a guy from the US geological Survey on the BBC and he explained that it was a horizontal slip quake (seabed moved horizontally) whereas vertical slip quakes are more likely to cause a tsunami.
                      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Wow -- looks like they just had another 8.2 quake.

Comment

This is about the SECOND quake, not the one for which this thread was started - from the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center bulletin:

EVALUATION SEA LEVEL READINGS INDICATE A TSUNAMI WAS GENERATED. IT MAY ALREADY HAVE BEEN DESTRUCTIVE ALONG SOME COASTS. BASED ON THESE DATA THE THREAT CONTINUES FOR ALL COASTAL AREAS OF THE INDIAN OCEAN. FOR THOSE AREAS - WHEN NO MAJOR WAVES HAVE OCCURRED FOR AT LEAST TWO HOURS AFTER THE ESTIMATED ARRIVAL TIME OR DAMAGING WAVES HAVE NOT OCCURRED FOR AT LEAST TWO HOURS THEN LOCAL AUTHORITIES CAN ASSUME THE THREAT IS PASSED. DANGER TO BOATS AND COASTAL STRUCTURES CAN CONTINUE FOR SEVERAL HOURS DUE TO RAPID CURRENTS. AS LOCAL CONDITIONS CAN CAUSE A WIDE VARIATION IN TSUNAMI WAVE ACTION THE ALL CLEAR DETERMINATION MUST BE MADE BY LOCAL AUTHORITIES.ESTIMATED INITIAL TSUNAMI WAVE ARRIVAL TIMES AT FORECAST POINTSWITHIN THE WARNING AND WATCH AREAS ARE GIVEN BELOW. ACTUALARRIVAL TIMES MAY DIFFER AND THE INITIAL WAVE MAY NOT BE THELARGEST. A TSUNAMI IS A SERIES OF WAVES AND THE TIME BETWEENSUCCESSIVE WAVES CAN BE FIVE MINUTES TO ONE HOUR.

Comment

Hope all of you in the affected areas are safe and well.
                            x
                            Cicak Magnet

Comment

My wife had a nightmare last night about a large earthquake. She was crying and screaming, woke me up. She was upset because she was trying to get people to pay attention. Anyway we live in California.
                              "The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is difficult to determine if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                              X