Announcement

Collapse

Forum Software Migration (2nd Update)

As you may have noticed, the forum software has undergone a bit of a facelift. We've migrated from vBulletin4 to vBulletin5.2.2. As with all software major updates, there will undoubtedly be a few hiccups. As with all software upgrades, vBulletin has made changes in how their software works, so there may be a bit of a learning curve as you re-orient yourself to their changed environment.

We have worked through the initial hiccups that were reported. If you experience additional issues, please pm them to wm and we'll work through them. Thanks for your patience!

Regards,
paman and wm
See more
See less

Bisulan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bisulan

Anyone know the cause of this phenomenon? Just spoke to my wife and she says her sister is back from the city to the kampung because her infant daughter is bisulan for one month...

I said 'so why has she come to the kampung where there are no doctors?'. 'Don't be silly, you don't get a doctor for bisulan, you need traditional medicine'. 'So what causes this?' 'Don't know'

I did get some bisul myself when I was in Indonesia, but nothing since leaving. Is it the heat and humidity? Bad water? Poor nutrition?

Bisul is an abscess, pak...
    [COLOR="navy"]Leave the gun, take the cannoli[/COLOR] - The Godfather

Comment

abscess makes the heart grow fonder....

I know what it is, but just wondered why it's so common in Indonesia

Comment

Originally posted by sumyunggai View Post
        abscess makes the heart grow fonder....
        Haha good one!

Abscesses are typically caused by either an inflammatory reaction to an infectious process (bacteria or parasite) or, less commonly, to a foreign substance within the body (a needle or a splinter, for example). Abscesses may develop because of obstructed oil (sebaceous) or sweat glands, inflammation of hair follicles, or from minor breaks and punctures of the skin. Abscesses may also develop after a surgical procedure.

The infectious organisms or foreign material cause an inflammatory response in the body, which triggers the body's immune system to form a cavity or capsule to contain the infection and prevent it from spreading to other parts of the body. The interior of the abscess liquefies, and pus develops (which contains dead cells, proteins, bacteria, and other debris). This area then begins to expand, creating increasing tension and inflammation of the overlying skin.

People with weakened immune systems (either from a chronic disease or from medications) can develop abscesses more often because their body's ability to fight infection is decreased. Individuals with any of the following conditions are at higher risk for developing abscesses.

To sum it up, it is common in Indonesia because they have very low immunity system (lack of nutrition/less educated in a term of dietary), very low level of personal hygiene, open wound that dont get treated properly, humidity plays role a bit, etc.

And that would be $100 for you

Comment

Jeepers if I ask a medical question in here nickie please don't answer it. You're spendy.

Comment

Nickie
            Words can inspire, thoughts can provoke, but only action can get you closer to your dreams.

Comment

Originally posted by Alia View Post

Nickie
              Free for you Mbak Alia

Originally posted by Pimpin View Post
              Jeepers if I ask a medical question in here nickie please don't answer it. You're spendy.
              Not free for you. Dont tell me you are bisulan too??

Comment

traditional medicine ...

I'm interested in the traditional medicine angle.
                Seems like general hygene and mianteneace of the affected area, perhaps a mild antiseptic.
                The suggestion seems to be that living in the city causes the abcess.

Comment

Bisulan often occurs to babies. Inexperience mothers usually afraid to give proper bath to their infant and tend to skip the head wash. Some dirt and dead skin cells that are left could block the hair follicles and encourage bacteria to grow on the infant's skin. Dirty environment and weak immune system could also be the trigger.

First aid: clean and plaster the infected area with warm clean water as often as possible. Avoid scratching and do not remove the abscessed yourself. Bisul is infectious. Unsterilized removal could spread the infection to other part of the skin.

Treatment: Consult the doctor. Any antibiotic cream usually prescribed to treat Bisul. For the worse case, oral antibiotic is needed. Sometimes, minor surgery is needed to remove the abscessed.
                  Always try to be modest. And be damn proud of it!

Comment

Originally posted by nickie View Post
                    Free for you Mbak Alia

Not free for you. Dont tell me you are bisulan too??
                    Im not sayin notin. Keep your stethescope to yourself Doc. No please cough.

Comment

It's called a "Boil"... Typically found on the buttocks, inner thigh and neck area. As CC mentioned, there are some antibiotic creams available and can dry them out.
                      [FONT=Arial]Wana come over to Myspace and you can Twitter my Yahoo while I Google your Facebook?
                      [/FONT]

Comment

When he was younger, one of my sons also got a skin infection which resulted in small bisul on his skin (several) .. from contact with another child in a martial arts class! Antibiotic cleared it right up!
                        Danielle Surkatty
                        Member of the Organizing Committee
                        Living in Indonesia, A Site for Expatriates
                        http://www.expat.or.id/
                        [email protected]
                        Living in Indonesia Expat Forum
                        http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.org/
                        [email protected]

Comment

Use Garamycin cream for Bisulan, it works for me..
                          I am good, but not an angel. I do sin, but I am not the devil.i'm just.. human

Comment

Originally posted by Carrot Cake View Post
                            Bisulan often occurs to babies. Inexperience mothers usually afraid to give proper bath to their infant and tend to skip the head wash. Some dirt and dead skin cells that are left could block the hair follicles and encourage bacteria to grow on the infant's skin. Dirty environment and weak immune system could also be the trigger.

First aid: clean and plaster the infected area with warm clean water as often as possible. Avoid scratching and do not remove the abscessed yourself. Bisul is infectious. Unsterilized removal could spread the infection to other part of the skin.

Treatment: Consult the doctor. Any antibiotic cream usually prescribed to treat Bisul. For the worse case, oral antibiotic is needed. Sometimes, minor surgery is needed to remove the abscessed.
                            I will told that to my wife... she is so afraid to put soap in the eyes of our princess!
                            But... yah, she is not in a dirty environment and have a quite strong immune (she heal from a flu in no time!)
                            La motivation vient en se motivant ~ Motivation come by self-motivation

Comment

On the subject of health... my maid told me this morning that her sister-in-law's father had just died.

Me: How old was he and what did he die from?
                              Her: Don't know. Maybe a heart attack. He was 55.
                              Me: Was he over weight or a smoker?
                              Her: No
                              Me: What did the doctor say?
                              Her: He didn't go to a doctor.

In other words they had no clue why he died. I have heard similar stories many times here. People die for reasons unknown and they are immediately buried without post mortem or any investigation as to the causes.
                              "[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica Neue]I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.[/FONT][/COLOR]"
                              George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Working...
                              X