A (mostly) weekly open blues jam on Saturday nights

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A (mostly) weekly open blues jam on Saturday nights

Ladies, Gents, Aliens and other sentient lifeforms; I've talked about this from time to time but figured I'd attempt to bring it into the spotlight a bit more. Every Saturday evening starting around 9:30pm there is an open blues jam in Upstairs Bar & Resto (on Jl. Cikini Raya, right across from the Whiz hotel). Open jam basically means if you're musically inclined, feel free to get up on stage and jam a couple of tunes. Instruments are generally available (guitar, bass, drums, harps - no keyboard so if you're a keyboard player, BYO). The food is decent, the drinks aren't too expensive, the atmosphere is generally laid back and most excellent - oh, and live blues.

There are (of course) a few drawbacks to this evening/place; You do need to have enough music theory under your belt to understand what "slow blues shuffle in A" means And while the place has about 8 AC's, the area near the stage (and on the stage) gets hot like Satan's asscrack, so if you're prone to sweating, you may want to bring an extra t-shirt or something. Also everyone smokes. There is no "non-smoking" area available.

And not sure if it'll be a drawback but you'll often find me there doing things like this (I know, blatant self promotion, but this'll make it easier for people to recognise yours truly if you show up and want to say hi):

So if you're feeling a little blue on the weekend, go visit, and enjoy some decent live music, drinks and food - oh, and bring friends! The more the merrier.

There's also a Facebook group for those of you on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/breaktimeblues/
    Last edited by MadCat; 11-08-14, 03:08. Reason: added facebook group link
    sigpic
    bassist, perl ninja, random stranger

Originally posted by MadCat View Post
    Ladies, Gents, Aliens and other sentient lifeforms; ....

So if you're feeling a little blue on the weekend, go visit, and enjoy some decent live music, drinks and food - oh, and bring friends! The more the merrier.
    Would that be a reference to the Squirrels? hahaha

I swear if we are ever in JKT on a Saturday night , that will be the venue of choice.
    Cicak Magnet

Comment

And here I was channel surfing like a schmuck last night.
      Gonna check it out.

Comment

You had me until the no nonsmoking section. I realize this is Indonesia, but just wish they'd have some really good smoke scrubbers installed.

I play a mean hand kazoo.
        Sasa Bule is having a bayi!

Comment

Originally posted by bad_azz View Post
          Would that be a reference to the Squirrels? hahaha

I swear if we are ever in JKT on a Saturday night , that will be the venue of choice.
          Yes. Also, yes. You should come by :P

Originally posted by mobilerobert View Post
          And here I was channel surfing like a schmuck last night.
          Gonna check it out.
          Please do, it's fun - I'm not there every week though, but no worries, people there won't bite!

Originally posted by Jaime C View Post
          You had me until the no nonsmoking section. I realize this is Indonesia, but just wish they'd have some really good smoke scrubbers installed.
          I play a mean hand kazoo.
          The windows are open most of the time so it's not like the entire place is like a foggy morning - but on the other hand, you should still drop by if you can, it's not like you can't occasionally step out for a dose of fresh air Speaking of kazoo's, someone does play one from time to time, believe it or not. We've also had a french guy show up with a banjo a few times, and there've been some improvisations with beer bottles as well. Let's just say that 10pm to 1am is "normal" time, after that things tend to get stranger.

I also want to add that the place isn't terribly large; it literally is up a flight of steep stairs, once you get up, to your left is a smallish area with couches, next to that is the stage and some more seating, and to your right you can find more tables and seating if you want a bit of a quieter environment - the PA system does get turned up to a reasonably high volume when the jam is on (to mix in well with the drums), but we try to ensure a balanced sound.
          sigpic

Comment

Are you sure the banjo guy was French and not Italian? We had an Italian banjo player in our gamelan group - it was interesting to see him jam with the gamelan instruments. I could see him taking part in a blues jam. He's left Indonesia recently, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Puspawarna View Post
              Are you sure the banjo guy was French and not Italian? We had an Italian banjo player in our gamelan group - it was interesting to see him jam with the gamelan instruments. I could see him taking part in a blues jam. He's left Indonesia recently, though.
              Come to think of it he might have been, I'm not sure but we did discuss once that he got mistaken a lot for the wrong nationality due to his accent. If he was a youngish guy, curly brown hair, goatee, and glasses then we're talking about the same guy I think. He showed up oh, about 4 or 5 times and seemed to be having a good time If it is the same guy, him leaving Indonesia explains his lack of being there...
              sigpic

Comment

Yes that sounds like him! Funny.

Comment

interesting madcat. will arrange to go there with my friends... (so you dont live near toll to bandung anymore now?)
                  dont judge a book by it cover. judge it by it price. good books are expensive

Comment

Originally posted by Puspawarna View Post
                    Yes that sounds like him! Funny.
                    Small world

It probably is him though, I could totally see him jamming on his banjo with a bunch of gamelan to go along with it
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by naughtygab View Post
                      interesting madcat. will arrange to go there with my friends... (so you dont live near toll to bandung anymore now?)
                      Not anymore, we moved back to Jakarta a few months ago for uh... reasons :P (aka: I just woke up, need coffee, will explain later :P)

And yes, do check it out and do bring friends!
                      sigpic

Comment

Ladies and gents, it's on again tomorrow evening, starting around 9pm lasting until the last people have left or the staff kicks us out! Food, drinks, and live music all night long, and for those so inclined; even you can be a star! Pick up an instrument and play, it's open to one and all.

Oh and yours truly will be there tomorrow as well in case you wanted to drop by and say hi.

Upstairs Bar & Resto
                        Jl. Cikini Raya #4

Right across from the Whiz hotel.
                        sigpic

Comment

Too bad about the unavailable non-smoking area

But I will watch the youtube performance if there is one

Comment

Originally posted by Banana72 View Post

Just come by, trust me when I say that while a lot of people smoke there's no big foggy cloud hanging around :P
                            sigpic

Comment

Banana,..... plan to visit?? i plan to go there on september.. would be great if you could also make it

Originally posted by Banana72 View Post

dont judge a book by it cover. judge it by it price. good books are expensive

Comment

Working...
                              X