Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weekly Meditation Group

Hi everyone,

Arrived in Jakarta about a month ago and would love to start/join a meditation group in central Jakarta. Have been poking around the forum and Google, but haven't found any existing groups. I am happy to host at my house in Menteng if anyone is interested.

When: 7PM-8:15PM on Tuesday, August 12
    Where: Apartment complex in Menteng (south of Monas) - will send out details to those interested
    What: My background is in Zen meditation following the teachings of Thich Nhat Hanh, so I am comfortable with their general group meditation format (20 minute silent sitting, 20 minute guided meditation / reading / Dharma Talk, 20 minute walking meditation, 15 minute Dharma Discussion). Happy for others to bring in their own traditions/practices and have a pretty flexible sitting.
    Anything Else: Still waiting on my belongings to arrive, so I don't have extra meditation cushions. However, I do have some sofa pillows and my trusty bell.

Let me know if anyone is at all interested - look forward to meeting up!

Best
    Tim

Hi welcome, afaik meditating is when one person sits in silence and close his eyes etc, why need a group? Here, I think there are yoga classes, dunno any specific zen groups, soz
    Last edited by LittleMonster; 04-08-14, 11:16.
    Lost in Jakarta's trafic jam

Comment

Originally posted by LittleMonster View Post
      why need a group?
      Probably so that beginners can learn proper technique, and then all the group activities he mentions ([COLOR=#333333]20 minute guided meditation / reading / Dharma Talk, 20 minute walking meditation, 15 minute Dharma Discussion) can be conducted.[/COLOR]

Personally I'd be very interested, but thanks to Jakarta traffic and the fact I live in PI, there is no way I'm able to commit to something in Menteng. (And the stress of dealing with Jakarta traffic is one reason WHY I would benefit from a meditation group...)

Anyway, good luck, Tim. Hopefully you'll find enough people to achieve the needed momentum.

Comment

[size=5]warning !!!! Hippy alert !!!![/size]

Comment

Hi Tim, surprised about the response to your thread! I would love to join a meditation group! I love thichs teachings too. Let me know if it took off or not!?!

Comment

Originally posted by ScooterIndo View Post
            [SIZE=5]warning !!!! Hippy alert !!!![/SIZE]
            LOL. Don't you know, the proper terminology is to call it "granola."

Comment

Originally posted by Puspawarna View Post
              LOL. Don't you know, the proper terminology is to call it "granola."
              Hippies are hippies simple as that

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Rann View Post
                Hi everyone,

Arrived in Jakarta about a month ago and would love to start/join a meditation group in central Jakarta. Have been poking around the forum and Google, but haven't found any existing groups. I am happy to host at my house in Menteng if anyone is interested.

When: 7PM-8:15PM on Tuesday, August 12
                Where: Apartment complex in Menteng (south of Monas) - will send out details to those interested
                What: My background is in Zen meditation following the teachings of Thich Nhat Hanh, so I am comfortable with their general group meditation format (20 minute silent sitting, 20 minute guided meditation / reading / Dharma Talk, 20 minute walking meditation, 15 minute Dharma Discussion). Happy for others to bring in their own traditions/practices and have a pretty flexible sitting.
                Anything Else: Still waiting on my belongings to arrive, so I don't have extra meditation cushions. However, I do have some sofa pillows and my trusty bell.

Let me know if anyone is at all interested - look forward to meeting up!

Best
                Tim
                How did it work out? Any takers? Be interested in giving it a try if I didn't live in Bandung.

Comment

dealing with Jakarta traffic "IS" the meditation
                  The answer is 42 .... any questions? .

Comment

Hi Tim, would like to participate too.. But sadly I can't really do it on Tuesdays... Sat/Sundays would be perfect.

Comment

Hi Tim.. interesting!
                      will pm u
                      [COLOR=#ff0000][FONT=tahoma]I'm glad to be back
                      [/FONT]
                      [/COLOR]

Comment

Do you use tibetan bowl meditation too? if yes i'm interest to join

Comment

Originally posted by Puspawarna View Post
                          Probably so that beginners can learn proper technique, and then all the group activities he mentions ([COLOR=#333333]20 minute guided meditation / reading / Dharma Talk, 20 minute walking meditation, 15 minute Dharma Discussion) can be conducted.[/COLOR]

Personally I'd be very interested, but thanks to Jakarta traffic and the fact I live in PI, there is no way I'm able to commit to something in Menteng. (And the stress of dealing with Jakarta traffic is one reason WHY I would benefit from a meditation group...)

Anyway, good luck, Tim. Hopefully you'll find enough people to achieve the needed momentum.
                          I am surprised you did not take this as another opportunity to plug the Gamelan Group.

Comment

We often have newcomers to our twice weekly meditation groups. If they are over age 50, their introductions often start with some version of “I’ve meditated on and off for 30 years...”

Comment

Originally posted by LittleMonster View Post
                              why need a group?
                              Because collective energy is powerful. I'm interested to join this.. is there any room left?

Comment

Working...
                              X