Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

US Ambassador - Robert O. Blake Jr- Five Steps to A successful American Education"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Illuminasi View Post

"(Instead of discussing the meaning of WERE)", y
    If you are going to have a discussion about the meaning of 'were' then please leave me out of it as it's just too divisive a subject.
    "[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica Neue]I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.[/FONT][/COLOR]"
    George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Nimbus, i don't know where i stand with you at this point. You post a reply that makes sense, so i step back to allow this bickering to be ended, then lantern posts and still i agree that it's better to just not post, then after lantern you post again saying i was getting personal? Also When did i state anything was being piled upon myself? You didn't open up for a discussion of the WERE comment, "(Instead of discussing the meaning of WERE)", you simply posted your interpretation of it and got all defensive when someone posted their own. Same thing as my reply to Lantern i will copy/paste to you. "the approach now taken toward the original poster in that anything said by/or in defense of poster will automatically be taken defensively or negatively." Amirite?
      You stepped back? When? I replied directly to your latest post that quoted mine. I'm not digging up days old posts. You are not making sense.

About being piled on, you never actually used the term, but that can't prevent me from using it to describe the situation. I have never actually used the term "defensive" in my previous post in this thread, yet that obviously doesn't prevent you from using it to describe me.

Oh, my post that you called "defensive" actually used the exact same wording as yours. I did that on purpose to see if you like the taste of your own medicine. If that's "defensive" then why were you being "defensive"?
      Last edited by Nimbus; 07-07-14, 01:45.

Comment

So...are we now bickering about whether we were bickering or not? I'm getting confused.

While I don't think I can legitimately moderate this thread, I will say - if I were going to moderate, I'd say it probably is time to take some deep cleansing breaths and ask ourselves whether any of this really matters.

Comment

Let me elaborate further.

Originally posted by Nimbus View Post
          Oh dear, I miss this kind of discussion when I was a moderator.
          NOT.

Moderators are appointed judges of the forum rules. In gray areas (of which there are plenty), then their judgment goes. If it's a clear cut violation like posting "fuck you" to another poster and the mod fails to take action, then it's cause for protest. There is no indisputable violation of the guidelines in this thread, as far as I'm concerned. You may think that a violation has been committed, but it's not your judgment that matters here. You're a moderator somewhere else, not here, so it's their judgment that matters.

If prohibition on "bickering" is applied too strictly, then technically going back and forth about a disagreement in more than 2 posts can be considered bickering. That would cover the majority of posts on this forum. Thankfully the moderators are exercising good judgment about it.
          This was a fantastic argument on your behalf. Nothing i said after this would have mattered as you made for a very strong point. Now, we have been posting back and forth for well over 2 hours. every 10 or so minutes. My last post was logged at [COLOR=#FFFFFF]23:59[/COLOR] and it was at this point i thought "well okay, he makes for a good argument, let's leave it at that." It was not until you said

Oh now you're getting personal. Instead of discussing the meaning of WERE now you accuse me of simply piling on you. Splendid. If you are so "neutral" you would have noticed that both Lantern and I asked TGF a question, we were seeking clarification.

If you bother to follow the thread, you would see that I actually posted a positive comment about the ambassador's involvement in the event. TGF even thanked me for it. It is your backseat moderating that I have an issue with, not Kaplan.
          that i re-posted at [COLOR=#FFFFFF]01:14[/COLOR], that was over 1 hour i had stepped back and stayed silent until you decided to push further with your "getting personal" comment. Thus proving your latest comment

You stepped back? When? I replied directly to your latest post that quoted mine. I'm not digging up days old posts. You are not making sense.

Oh, my post that you called "defensive" actually used the exact same wording as yours. I did that on purpose to see if you like the taste of your own medicine. If that's "defensive" then why were you being "defensive"?
          completely invalid and flawed in facts. I am not getting defensive. I am just tired of repeating myself. It seems like you're reading my posts but they're not fully being comprehended. I hope my post here can verify what you said i had not done, once again making assumptions instead of checking further. Now it's easy, i have laid it all out for you. I hope you take the time to review your own comments and timeline and come to a conclusion rather than another assumption.

Comment

Originally posted by lantern View Post
            If you are going to have a discussion about the meaning of 'were' then please leave me out of it as it's just too divisive a subject.
            Difference of opinion Lantern. You see it one way, i saw it another. We both have valid opinions. Let's leave it at that shall we? No point dragging it out further.

Originally posted by Puspawarna View Post
            So...are we now bickering about whether we were bickering or not? I'm getting confused.

While I don't think I can legitimately moderate this thread, I will say - if I were going to moderate, I'd say it probably is time to take some deep cleansing breaths and ask ourselves whether any of this really matters.
            We do seem to be bickering about bickering, then again it is 2am and I'm still not finished with the work needed for tomorrow. All in all, it has certainly been an interesting and eventful night here on the Kaplan event thread. I think we all deserve a time out.

Comment

Now, we have been posting back and forth for well over 2 hours. every 10 or so minutes.
              I dunno about the rest of you all, but in between posts I ran 5k and showered afterward. Behold my virtue!

(It's not 2 am where I am, I hasten to add. It's morning.)

Comment

Mod note: I've reviewed this thread and feel constrained to advise participants that[COLOR=#333333] it probably is time to take some deep cleansing breaths and ask yourselves whether any of this really matters.

JM [/COLOR]

Comment

I dunno about the rest of you all, but in between posts I ran 5k and showered afterward. Behold my virtue!

(It's not 2 am where I am, I hasten to add. It's morning.)
                  I managed to reformat my android tablet, create a flash quiz for an English placement test and also feed and burp my 10 day old daughter. Behold my baggy eyes and aching back! I better put the kettle on. 1 more task to complete.

[FONT=Verdana]
                  Originally posted by john madden View Post
                  Mod note: I've reviewed this thread and feel constrained to advise participants that[/FONT][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana] it probably is time to take some deep cleansing breaths and ask yourselves whether any of this really matters.

JM [/FONT][/COLOR][FONT=Verdana]
                  Indeed.

Until we meet again Puspa, i bid thee farewell.[/FONT]
                  Last edited by Illuminasi; 07-07-14, 02:08.

Comment

Mod note: I've reviewed this thread and feel constrained to advise participants that[COLOR=#333333] it probably is time to take some deep cleansing breaths and ask yourselves whether any of this really matters.

JM [/COLOR]
                    You're right, this is fruitless.

Comment

JM [/COLOR]
                      That's all very fine but what if you live in Jakarta?
                      Last edited by lantern; 07-07-14, 02:52.
                      "[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica Neue]I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.[/FONT][/COLOR]"
                      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

JM [/COLOR]
                        But I've already paid for a half hour!

... No, you're right, this sketch has gotten much too silly.

(Giant animated foot comes down and squashes me)
                        [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Warden: "What we got here ... is failure to communicate."

The Dude: "Oh yeah? Well that's just, like, your opinion, man."[/FONT]

Comment

I'm not posting as a moderator - I am writing as a poster. When I moderate, I say so.

What I do not understand is how an organization that claims to assist students to improve their scores on standardized tests such as the SATs (that is what Kaplan does, right?) can condone advertising information that has many English language mistakes. Why would I trust Kaplan to teach my child how to score more highly on the English writing/reading sections of the SATs when their promotional materials are not in standard, error-free English?

It's absurd posturing to claim there was zero intent to market Kaplan in your first or subsequent posts in this thread. Why else would you be at pains to mention that free TOEFL, GMAT and SAT courses were given out? That has nothing to do with the US Ambassador.

As I noted, it is acceptable in US diplomatic culture for Ambassadors to promote American business. While that is not my personal priority for my Ambassador, I recognize that it is routine practice, defensible on various grounds, and not in any way illicit. This is simply my opinion.

Another of my opinions is that any organization that purports to be qualified to teach students how to do well on a test involving English language knowledge should demonstrate facility with said language in their advertising material.

I hope that's clear.

Then in that case shouldn't you have seperate accounts then, because new guys like me really get confused if your the "Person behind the wheel" here you should take charge and follow your own rules.. bringing negativity to someones forum who is trying to promote his event and judging his english illiteracy of a forum is really unnecessary and childish indeed, I understand some forums are for a little fun but wrong time wrong forum buddy. And for your information Ambassadors ARE granted promotional events of there home state.

Comment

Originally posted by MrForeigner View Post
                            Then in that case shouldn't you have seperate accounts then, because new guys like me really get confused if your the "Person behind the wheel" here you should take charge and follow your own rules.. bringing negativity to someones forum who is trying to promote his event and judging his english illiteracy of a forum is really unnecessary and childish indeed, I understand some forums are for a little fun but wrong time wrong forum buddy. And for your information Ambassadors ARE granted promotional events of there home state.

I think the moderators should get a 23% yearly raise.

Honestly, the moderators usually clearly mark posts where they are moderating. If you read more threads this will become pretty obvious.
                            Sasa Bule is having a bayi!

Comment

Originally posted by MrForeigner View Post
                              MODE NOTE:

At the risk of defending Puspa, creating a new handle is strictly prohibited in this forum. This rule applies to all members and moderators are no exception. If you think Puspa has clearly breached our forum guidelines, you are more than welcome to report this to the admin and moderators. We have five moderators and four of them are pretty active.
                              We don't take side even amongst ourselves. If a moderator is engaged in a heated debate with one or more members and writes an insulting post to members, the penalty is more severe than all members. In reviewing the reported case where an offence is allegedly committed by a moderator, we will exclude him/her in the discussion. It happened before to most of us. A long standing member and well-respected moderator, Atlantis was banned due to his offensive post. I couldn't escape infraction points when my fellow moderators found my post was aggressive and offensive towards a member of this forum. Another moderator, John Madden was also banned after he had a swipe at one member.

Since we are against sockpuppeting (creating a new handle), moderator can post just like a normal poster. As Puspa has said earlier, we usually put our moderator's hat on when we'd like to act as a moderator and write MOD NOTE in our post. When moderators are posting or partaking in any discussion, they are fee to express their view as long as they follow our guidelines.

Cheers
                              PE

Comment

Well I'm a My Little Ponies fans... So I will side with PonyExpress.
                                Aloft! Me hearties! Harharhar!

Comment

Working...
                                X