Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

US Ambassador - Robert O. Blake Jr- Five Steps to A successful American Education"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Ambassador - Robert O. Blake Jr- Five Steps to A successful American Education"

Hi all,

You are all cordially invited to "Five secrets to a successful American Education and KAPLAN K+ Launching" on Saturday, June 21, 2014.
    His excellence Robert O. Blake JR - Ambassador of the United States of America - is the chief guest and supporting the American Education Journey.

Bring your friends and relatives who are either planning or going to the USA for their studies,
    We have couples of alumni from UCLA, Kellogg and MIT to tell about their experiences.

Venue : EDUPAC @10:00 21/06/2014
    World Trade Center 1, 10th floor
    Jl. Jend Sudirman kav. 29-31
    Jakarta 12920

We are looking forward to the pleasure of your company.
    Last edited by TheGodFather; 27-06-14, 20:29.

Hour?

Comment

10 am

Comment

So it's not really a Robert Blake event, is it? He just happens to be a guest. 10:00am until when? Agenda?

Comment

Does the fact he's the "chief guess" mean he's the most important invitee whose attendance you aren't really sure of? (Sorry, couldn't resist...)

Comment

Originally posted by jimmi james View Post
            So it's not really a Robert Blake event, is it? He just happens to be a guest. 10:00am until when? Agenda?
            Agree, JJ. Looks a LOT like a Kaplan promotion ("launch") to prove they can help rich Indonesian kids game the newly revised SAT.

Comment

Originally posted by Puspawarna View Post
              Does the fact he's the "chief guess" mean he's the most important invitee whose attendance you aren't really sure of? (Sorry, couldn't resist...)
              I'll go a step further. If you want to advertise that you can assist folk with their "American Education Journey" then you need to pay for a proof reader on your adverts. Not to mention show a little more integrity with your Marketing Strategy.

Normally ambassadors are a little more careful about appearing to be promoting supporting particular products, though since you've perhaps explained to him as supporting increased students moving to America which is within his remit, he has presumably agreed. I wonder if he saw this ad if he'd feel as supportive?
              Last edited by jimmi james; 22-06-14, 06:50. Reason: i should at least get my own grammar correct if I am going to point it out in others'

Comment

So how did it go yesterday?

Comment

Originally posted by jimmi james View Post
                  I'll go a step further. If you want to advertise that you can assist folk with their "American Education Journey" then you need to pay for a proof reader on your adverts. Not to mention show a little more integrity with your Marketing Strategy.

Normally ambassadors are a little more careful about appearing to be promoting supporting particular products, though since you've perhaps explained to him as supporting increased students moving to America which is within his remit, he has presumably agreed. I wonder if he saw this add if he'd feel as supportive?
                  At first I thought the same as you JJ, but on reflection I realized that promoting American business is one thing US ambassadors do - and depending on the individual in question (I know nothing about Blake) some of them put that at the front of their agenda. So it's possible that Blake was entirely willing to lend the weight of his position to promoting an American business getting a toe-hold in Indonesia.

I hope that no native English speaker from the US Embassy was asked to approve the text in the OP, though - if they approved it, my nation is sliding into illiteracy faster than I thought.

Comment

The event was great, with fantastic outcomes. Blake is unlike other ambassadors I've met before (any country), He is very friendly and like to mingle with the crowd. You post your negative points which would be jotted down for future references.

Originally, the post was meant to share an event happening, but some inglorious have to show their real truth.
                    Last edited by TheGodFather; 27-06-14, 20:31.

Comment

Indonesia seems to get larger-than-life ambassadors. Among the ones I've known, we've had one so cold and aloof it's impossible to understand how he became a diplomat; one who had a nickname referring to his pomposity and whose departure generated a particularly gleeful wheels-up party, and the wonderfully personable Stapleton Roy.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGodFather View Post
                        The event was great, with fantastic outcomes. Blake is unlike other ambassadors I've met before (any country), He is very friendly and like to mingle with the crowd. You post your negative points which would be jotted down for future references.

Originally, the post was meant to share an event happening, but some inglorious have to show their real truth.
                        Wow, touchy! Guess the name is designed to scare people off?
                        Lucky posters on this forum are fearless!

TGF - this is a public forum - you post with the full knowledge of that. If you had put up real paper posters with what you had written in your first post, people would still be saying the same things about it! The difference - here you actually get to read the feed back. You would do well to take the criticisms as they were I'm sure intended - feedback. Your "production" will present more professionally for it.
                        Things happen for a reason...

Comment

Originally posted by Puspawarna View Post
                          At first I thought the same as you JJ, but on reflection I realized that promoting American business is one thing US ambassadors do - and depending on the individual in question (I know nothing about Blake) some of them put that at the front of their agenda. So it's possible that Blake was entirely willing to lend the weight of his position to promoting an American business getting a toe-hold in Indonesia.
                          Good point, Puspa, but Kaplan is not a new business -- they already have a toehold in Pondok Indah. Princeton Review is in Jakarta, too.

Comment

Eh, it doesn't matter if the business is new or not. "Promoting American business abroad" is part of what the Ambassador does - just like the Foreign Commercial Service. It would not be my choice of priorities, but I'm part hippie so my opinion on these matters should be discounted accordingly.

Comment

Promotion is legitimate -- I was only questioning "toehold" in light of the original post that mentioned Kaplan.

A good question might be "which American businesses should an AMB devote time to?" or "is Kaplan important enough to get a chunk of time?" (even on a weekend)

Education is a top priority for bilateral relations and despite the continuing rah-rah of public diplomacy, it appears that my native US is actually trying to establish real two-way flow. Fake two-way flow is that teachers go US to Indonesia and students go Indonesia to US -- I call this fake because the info and cultural appreciation is actually moving in only one direction, from the "high ground" of superpower to the third world. In the past few years, though, it seems like the US is encouraging more students to enroll in Indonesian universities and exchange programs, so the flow of cultural influence and wisdom is moving in both directions now.

Comment

Working...
                              X