Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 34th Jakarta Highland Gathering

Hi!

I just want to share an upcoming event, it's Jakarta Highland Gathering!
    So my friend asked me to join her to come but she only mentioned it as a Scottish Gathering. Then i googled it to find more detail information and found the website http://www.jkthighlandgathering.org/2013/

Anyone interested to come? i feel like being sociable and mingle around! teehee

Sounds awesome... I saw Guinness as a sponsor... so, can I have a beer or five there?
    QUOTE: "Anybody who throws a few pieces of chicken or whatever meat they have onto a gas grill deserves what they get..."

Comment

I've been wanting to go to this event! Do you mind if i join you guys??

Comment

I have also heard about this event and I know a friend who is going to it. I think it is on the Public Holiday Saturday 25 May and I would also like to go to it. I think it will be quite an event

Comment

sounds like testosterone-drenched fun! hahaha
          will definitely be there

Comment

We went to this event couple years ago, it was raining all day, we parked on the grass, we had to walked through muddy land, we had nowhere to sit , luckily we met some Brits friends so we joined their table. When time to go home, we couldn't get our car out because the 2 back wheels were stuck in the mud, needed 4 peoples to help us out. BUT that was not it, the grass/land I was stand on is so soft, my shoes keep sinking..I managed to get up and walk but only able to pull 1 shoe and left the other 1 in the mud.. What a day!!!
            Regards STT.
            PS: If typo, blame it on Apple and Samsung!

Comment

My family and I were among the many attendants yesterday to the 34th Jakarta Highland Gathering held at the Lippo Golf Club Karawaci. It was the first time I had ever been to Karawaci and getting there was actually easier than most parts of Jakarta city itself. It took just over an hour and that was meeting traffic out of Cibubur and in the Semanggi 'corridor'.

The family ticket of two adults and two kids was 150,000rp and toddlers aged 2 were free. Compared to PRJ and Kidzania, this was remarkably good value for a family day out with lots of free food and drink, free gifts, terrific entertainment, lots of socializing and mingling with ex pats (which is something I miss sometimes living in Cibubur) and the weather actually held after a cloudy and threatening morning. STT is right, parking is on rough grass and had the weather turned, conditions of terrain would have meant difficulties with the vehicle and a change of clothing.

All members of my family thoroughly enjoyed the occasion and I can highly recommend it to anyone who might be contemplating going there next year. Curiously, although many Indonesians did of course attend, I do not recall seeing a single Indonesian female wearing a jilbab, i thought that was kind of odd. I loved the 'Singhs' and their performance and dress code. My wife got her photos with guys in Kilts and a brief blow on a bagpipe. My 15 year old had a drink of Whisky (mixed with milk) in exchange for a tiger and 25,000rp.

Well done to Alastair and his team of organizers, I only wish there were more events like this in or around Jakarta.

As a footnote, Skrikandi made their presence known by distributing leaflets and promoting a talk the Dirjen guy will do on 15th June in Kemang Village for 400,000rp (why so much?) about 'how to converting to Kitap'. Odd that nobody proofread the text within the leaflet!

A final afterthought. The British Embassy had a presence there and a guy called Adam Rutland was in the 'thick of things', not least because he was the only one wearing appropriate footwear - wellington boots! I learnt from him that the British Consulate will be moving pretty soon to a new location in Mega Kuningan.
              Last edited by mrcibubur; 26-05-13, 08:05.

Comment

We went as well and enjoyed it. The caber was my favorite, my wife liked being outdoors in breathable air, my daughter liked the large guard dogs, and we also brought one of our housekeepers (as a friend, not a pembantu (helper), as yesterday was a holiday and she was off, but had no plans to go anywhere), she loved the kilts and the Hawaiian dancers.

We wore appropriate footwear - rubber clogs, had a stroller with 12"+ wheels (the envy of other dad's all over the grounds), and tried to do as much as we could. Our biggest disappointment (as well as our Italian friends' digest disappointment) was the lack of Scottish or even British food, while so much German and even pizza… we also thought handing out little Scottish flags might have done better than Union Jacks…. The weather was perfect (a little soft, which made it feel remotely Scottish), and the mud wasn't a problem as it didn't seem beer soaked or otherwise disgusting. We tried the canning at the Outward Bound area which was nice… it also lead to the funniest conversation I've had with an Indonesian in ages that was humorous for both sides… I found some golf balls in the water as we were canning and fished them out… and the Outwardbound staff and I made several comments regarding "my having white balls" or him "having my balls in his hand"… and other childish humor that had my wife rolling her eyes.

Overall it was good, though having organized events of this sort before, I, of course, had a critical eye, but lest I get accused of being negative towards our host nation again, I keep my gob shut (the apologists will get their way).
                QUOTE: "Anybody who throws a few pieces of chicken or whatever meat they have onto a gas grill deserves what they get..."

Comment

awesome

awhhh so you guys came!
                  unfortunately i couldn't come because i had stuff to do... yeah so annoying...
                  but anyway since it has been an annual event so there's still next year event! i hope i would be able to come then.. hearing my friend who came also said that it was a fun event and so many people she knew also came.. and she only left me the VIP bracelet from the event
                  oh and thanks for the event review! i totally appreciate it much!

Comment

VIP bracelets? I don't think you'd need one, it was fairly open! Go next year, but wear old shoes!

Comment

yes it was needed if you want to enter the tent, she said..
                      oh and what were these old shoes role in the gathering?

Comment

The VIP bracelet probably entitled you into the handful (or was there only one?) VIP tent where the food and drink was plentiful but my family and I made do with the snacks and free drinks along the way, free cans of beer, free nosh and free soft drinks, free mugs (good ones too) but come early because things were all gone by lunchtime.

Point about the 'old shoes'. Even though it did not rain on the day, it was quite muddy on the grassy walks around the arena and in some cases the kids actually barefooted into it and enjoyed it. Kids for you! Don't plan on walking around in high heels or in your Sunday best.

What was the point of those guard dogs anyway? They were noticeable on the Perimeters. I do not think the event merited that kind of security.

Just wondering if it will be a Saturday or Sunday next year?

Comment

Originally posted by mrcibubur View Post
                          The VIP bracelet probably entitled you into the handful (or was there only one?) VIP tent where the food and drink was plentiful but my family and I made do with the snacks and free drinks along the way, free cans of beer, free nosh and free soft drinks, free mugs (good ones too) but come early because things were all gone by lunchtime.

Point about the 'old shoes'. Even though it did not rain on the day, it was quite muddy on the grassy walks around the arena and in some cases the kids actually barefooted into it and enjoyed it. Kids for you! Don't plan on walking around in high heels or in your Sunday best.

What was the point of those guard dogs anyway? They were noticeable on the Perimeters. I do not think the event merited that kind of security.

Just wondering if it will be a Saturday or Sunday next year?
                          There was FREE beer?!?! Ahh I can afford the good stuff anyway, but the prices at the festival were great… 20,000 for a guinness, 45,000 for a hoegardeen, and a little more for a mispoured foamy Kilkenny - good stuff btw way…

we walked in everywhere unchallenged, my wife took advantage of some A/C tents to feed our little one.

the old shoes point is summed up perfectly here.

the guard dogs were to get my housekeeper oohing and ahhhing… she almost petted one...

Comment

Working...
                          X