Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting a 5th grade class together at one school?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting a 5th grade class together at one school?

I used to live here in Jakarta and I just moved back last summer.... uh, by northern hemisphere reckoning. Sampoerna Academy is really conveniently located for me, in the Pancoran area on Jl. Raya Pasar Minggu.

I've got a 5th grader my wife is home schooling through this online Internet program, and we do not want to do that again. I am hoping Sampoerna Academy will have a 5th grade class this 2017-2018 school year, but they need a certain number, to open a class about 11 more than have expressed interest.

One of the problems with 5th grade is that parents often pay a 'buliding fee' when they put their kids in kindergarten or first grade, a big fee they don't have to pay again. And so it doesn't make sense to move a child to school in fifth grade. I think they pay a 'building fee' for middle school in 6th, so 6th is a good time to move a child.

I was wondering if there were some parents who moved to Jakarta or just came in from overseas who want an English-speaking school to put their child in. Sampoerna Academy doesn't charge the building fee up front like other schools do. The tution is probably going to be just over 7 million, about US $5300 for the school year. The school does coursework in English. They are supposed to be offering 'American education' based on something similar to a charter school program in Texas, with some emphasis on STEM courses.

I am planning on enrolling my high school student, too. I'd have to look up the tuition, but they have a program where the kids can get community college credit in the US while taking high school course work, a dual credit program. I still need to look into the details more.

Anyway, if anyone has a fifth grader and wants to sign them up, either you could send me a PM or an email or whatever the forum can do, or just contact that school. I'm hoping I could find a group of parents on the forum who could all go to the school together so they will put the class together. I can't see us doing this home school program next year.

If that doesn't work out, I may be on the forum later asking for recommendations for other schools nearby.

I have a contact in the school, so if anyone wants to send children there, send me a message. I'm hoping for some fifth grade parents. It seems like the prices are pretty good considering some of the other English-speaking schools. One of their goals is to provide Indonesia with affordable American education.

Comment

Working...
    X